1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi? Pan? How do I know?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Chocolate Cake, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Chocolate Cake

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Bi means two, and pan means all - but I've met a lot of bi people that would date outside of the gender binary, so is the difference really that simple? I'm sure I could fall into either category - depending on how you define it, of course.

Is there more to it? I'm not really sure, so I'm sorry if I'm being kinda ignorant! I still need to find out though.

2. OrtizDM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, human sexuality is incredibly complex so, I don't think you should worry too much about it. If you like someone regardless of their gender identity, well that's great! Don't label yourself!

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pansexuality is a useless label imo, It's only there because of semantics. Plenty of bi people date anyone.

DarkWhite, BiDragon, Shultz and 2 others like this.
  4. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Creativemind. Although when talking to other bi's it can be more interesting to say you're pan to avoid confusion. But to anyone else I say I'm bi.

5. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Someone asked a bunch of pan and bi people why they defined themselves the way they do and read out some of the reasons in this video:

I know one bi person who uses bi because (in her words) she's not attracted to trans people and she considers pansexuality to include attraction to trans people.

For me, though, I'm pan because I'm attracted to people regardless of their gender. I do sometimes use bi for convenience, but "pan" feels more right and accurate.

BothWaysSecret likes this.
  6. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely agree with all the points in the video Hats provided above. I think bi or pan people each have their own definition for their sexuality, and the word choice usually comes down to your own definition and how comfortable you are with either term.

Me personally, I chose bisexual because it sounds better to me, and I am attracted to the same gender and other genders, but not necessarily all genders.

#6 BothWaysSecret, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017