1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sexuality changable?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by kellynec, Oct 1, 2017.

1. kellynec

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've read some articles on how some people have changed their orientations

Are they just bisexual or have they truly changed their orientations?

2. Guff

No. You can't change it.

If these people do exist, which I personally have trouble believing, it'd be because their sexual orientation changed on them, NOT them changing their orientation.

But realistically I just think those things are fake.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont believe you can change your sexuality, you can repress it or I guess if you are bisexual chose to only act on the heterosexual part but I dont think it can be truly changed. Often people who claim to have been changed or cured are people who are refusing to accept their sexuality.

4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey kellynec,

This question gets asked here often, for obvious reasons. The simple answer is no. The best understanding today is that our sexuality is largely fixed either in utero or at very early ages, or perhaps a combination of both. I believe that a "change" of sexuality by someone is more likely to be a new "discovery" of an already existing sexuality. For many reasons we ignore or repress many sexual urges or attractions at young ages because we live in a society that normalizes being gender appropriate and heterosexual - and any gender inappropriate behavior or non-heterosexual thoughts or behavior are therefore not normal and unnatural. While this is changing a little bit in the last couple of decades, it hasn't changed nearly enough to accommodate the numbers of LGBT people in this country from all walks of life who were raised with heteronormativity.

The only thing you really have control over is your behavior, not your attractions.

Take care. :gay_pride_flag:

5. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The answer is no. Your own understandings of your sexuality can change over time (e.g. a gay man who believes he's attracted to women earlier in life because of societal expectations but later realises that he's gay), which is usually what people refer to when they talk about sexuality "changing." Fundamentally, sexual orientation cannot be changed.

#5 Alder, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  6. Karax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is evidence that people who are bisexual can experience a change in their orientation over time, for example, a female being attracted to men for most of her life, then switching to being mostly attracted to women, then switching back for some period of time.

But that is something which is beyond the reliable control of the person. I would say there is evidence orientation can change on you as Guff said, but not via human influence.

Maybe sometime in the future our knowledge of human biology would be advanced enough for people to do that, but for now it isn't.

7. Nils

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For some people, they say their sexuality is more fluid. But a lot of people are more rigid, and their sexualities never alter.

It's most often that people simply discover more about themselves and change their labels rather than change their actual sexualities. Someone who only just started identifying as gay didn't BECOME gay in that moment, they always were gay.

8. sunrises

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel like you always feel a certain way, sometimes people just don’t understand it fully and sometimes put labels on said feelings that they later realize don’t fit. Like for lesbians, (im using this example cause i am one) sometimes will identify as bisexual, because they understand fully they’re attracted to women and kinda just assume they’re attracted to men even though they arent. This doesn’t mean their sexuality changed, they just grew a better understanding of it and realized that the bisexual label did not fit.