1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man with girly voice? Is it bad?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by frappuccno, Sep 25, 2017.

1. frappuccno

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I received many saying and mocking with the way I talk, and some time with the way I behave. I know that I shouldn't care what people think of me but be who I am and do what makes me happy. Yet, it still bugs me from time to time. For example, just a moment ago, i was on the phone with my friends and then another male friend of them said hi to me and i did the same. They said that when I talk to a man, my voice changed to be more feminine and they even tried to mock me by mimicking my voice. If I had choices, I wouldn't have befriended with them. Back to the topic, is there any way to change this? I know I should be happy with what I am I just can't stop thinking about it. Trust me, I've been dealing with it since I was 16, now im 23. Tbh, I always picture myself to be more manly which my present me is the complete opposite. Is there anyone having the same problem as me?

Any help would be appreciated, very very appreciated!!

#1 frappuccno, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  2. CharacterStudy

I don't know how you can change your voice, maybe elocution lessons or something that actors have.
    BUT, do you really want to? It sounds more like internalised homophobia. There seems to be a sad prejudice against feminine gay men, in some in the gay community itself, and it feels to me like you've internalised that. I wonder if something like cognitive behaviour therapy might be a better way to challenge these negative though patterns you have around having a 'girly' voice.

And you need new friends.

frappuccno likes this.
  3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of the best male singers have more feminine voices, so in my opinion it doesn't matter. That is how you were born. Your "friends" need to back off. Tell them it isn't funny anymore.

I agree about the CBT and possible elocution lessons if you really want to change your mindset and your voice. But ultimately we are all unique and it is wrong of others to pick on you because of that. Just my rambling thoughts.

frappuccno likes this.
  4. frappuccno

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm very grateful for your reply, advices and suggestions... I know if I change it i will completely lose what I am. Thank you so much