1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Deep Clean' for Binder? (please help)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ErickWolf, Sep 25, 2017.

1. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have an Underworks tri-top binder, and I wash it in the washing machine (I put it in a mesh washing bag, lingerie bag, delicates bag, whatever yall call them), wash it with the rest of my clothes, then hang it up to dry, either just air-dry or in front of a fan. I wash it on cold/cold normal cycle. I'm not going to do anything stupid like wash it on hot or put it in the dryer, even if that would help 'deep clean', since it's not meant to be heated beyond body heat, and since it's the only one I have, I'm not gonna risk damaging it in any way. I have a couple of backup Underworks compression sports bra things, so with certain clothes I could wear those, but since they're still bras and not a binder (and they're actually less comfortable than my binder), I'd prefer to wear my actual binder as often as possible...while not having anything get stinky.

Washing it does a good job but since I guess it still occasionally gets a bit smelly, is there any kind of 'deep clean' I can do to it? I was thinking hand-washing it with baking soda then rinsing it in the shower, since baking soda is a good cleaner (and while it's technically a chemical, it's not a chemical in the sense I think of 'chemical crap', y'know what I mean) and it's odor-neutralizing. But I figured I'd ask before I do anything to it.

2. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that would work. Baking soda should help take out the smell and it should be safe to use on the binder. If you want a really strong cleaner you could mix baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, dilute it with water and use that.

3. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds good. I'll try baking soda without the hydrogen peroxide since it's a black binder and I don't want to stain it. Tho just to make sure, I'm posting this but not trying it until I've heard from someone that it doesn't stain/bleach/etc.

4. Samthing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't recommend the peroxide. I used it on my nude coloured binder and it discolored it

5. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, I might try the baking soda though.