1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All the emotions today.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by NeonSocks, Jul 20, 2017.

1. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, that means a lot to me. My mom was a nurse for 40 years so much like yours, hearing her cry is rare.

She was doing better when I talked to them last night, but I will be glad to be there and help any way I can.

beenthrdonetht, junebug99 and OED27x like this.
  2. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Moments of clarity always seem to hit me the hardest when I face a long car ride.

I have been away from home, in another state, since Thursday morning and have yet to speak to my partner. And that's when it hits me. Our home is no longer my home. The relationship we had is uttering its death kneel.

Taking care of my mom these past few days has allowed me the space to reflect. The space to realize that my priorities had shifted to far from what I ever should have allowed. The mental clarity to realize that loving someone and being in love are separate emotions. The space to understand that my happiness is important. I am important. And I no longer need to feel otherwise.

I am beginning to see a faint glimmer of happiness in my eyes. A slight smile on my face. And ever so slowly recognizing the new, stronger me I see each morning in the mirror.

I can no longer allow myself to be made to feel guilty for my choices. I will no longer allow myself to change to make the relationship fit my needs. To not be weird, when all I want is to be me.

The silence on the other end tells me that he feels the same. We have tried to save what we had. We have fought and cried, but in the end our desire for peace and happiness will prevail. It will hurt and healing will take time, but we cannot reach the next step without making this move.

It is time. And I am scared. Worried that I am making the wrong decision when in my heart I know this is what must be done. I am finding my peace.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww Neonsocks bits of this post make me so happy and parts a bit sad but over all it sounds like a really good post. I really hope your mum is doing better.

NeonSocks likes this.
  4. junebug99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sometimes the road to a peaceful life is filled with tears and regret. But at the end of that road is you. Standing there waiting to walk down a new path towards a happier life. Walk down that path, take the risk, overcome the tears and regret and in the end be proud that you took that first step!

#84 junebug99, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  5. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This was empowering though emotional to read. You sound like you have great strength behind your words and you are ready to fight for your own happiness and peace! I know this feeling. In those moments it's like I know what needs to be done and I feel so strong and at peace. I'm so happy to hear you are getting a bit of clarity. It's crazy I swear we share wavelengths or are on the same ups and downs. I too am having a peaceful empowering day.. more confident and at peace with where things are going. Everything will be okay. Keep being strong ❤️

Moonsparkle, NeonSocks and silverhalo like this.
  6. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree--these are such empowering words-for you and for all of your readers here. I know that coming to such realizations does not come easy for most of us. We are familiar with feelings of putting our own happiness on the back burner, of bending ourselves (and our truths) to fit relationships that are no longer working. I know you have worked hard to get to a place where you can express these thoughts, so directly and without apologies.

'I am important.' Period.

Beautiful!

NeonSocks likes this.
  7. leb10

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Socks. Thanks for sharing an update. Hope your mom is doing better too. It sounds like the time away while tough family-wise, was also powerful in self affirmation. I found your description of home not being home anymore so true to this journey. Home is sometimes a place,sometimes a relationship, and sometimes both. I'm sorry you feel like you've lost it but it seems like you know the path you need to take to find that feeling again. As always, best of luck to you. Keep finding that glimmer in the mirror and making it bigger. You've got this

PS - Amen on the whole not feeling guilt thing. If you have a potion or alchemy-type formula, please share! :slight_smile:

Moonsparkle and NeonSocks like this.
  8. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to give my therapist major credit for this one! Unfortunately, she isn't an alchemist, but she is a wonderful person. :slight_smile: She told me to imagine my guilt as luggage that needs to be checked at the airport. How much am I willing to travel with at all times? The ultimate goal is to get to one bag. It's a little silly, but by God it has been the best metaphor I have had yet to help with my never-ending guilt.

9. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Once again, thank you everyone for all of your support. Last night was shit. I don't think either one of us has stopped crying for more than five minutes, each longing to touch the other for support but knowing that is no longer the right choice. We spent most of the night talking. Bearing our souls in a way we have never truly allowed ourselves before.

The emotions are raw. The hurt continues to cut deeper than I ever imagined possible. Today we find ourselves wondering if this is the right decision. If we both stay committed to making this work, can we truly end this nightmare. If we give this one last shot, can we change for each other. It really really sucks. Trying to make sense of everything we feel after ten years together while also recognizing that what we want and what we need might not be the same thing is gut wrenching.

I tell you all of this not because it is easy or because I want to share my most intimate moments with strangers. I tell you this not because I have the answers or will ever pretend to know the right decisions to make. I tell you this simply because there are so many of us facing these choices and I want you all to know that you are not alone. I am not alone. I will probably never meet any of you, but we all share something that is bigger than all of us. Today know that the journey is not without pain or heartache, indecision or missteps, but it is a journey we are on together and that is giving me strength.

10. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh I am so so sorry you are experiencing so much pain. I too have been amazed at just how much further the pain can go. This is such an intense journey and yes, it is good to remember just how strong we all will be. Things do get better as we acclimate and get stronger. Sending hugs your way!

NeonSocks likes this.
  11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, the camaraderie among us is truly a gift! Sending you strength for the next steps. I know it's scary!

13. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can I reciprocate the hugs by replying? :slight_smile:

Thank you! And it is scary as hell, but what is a life if not lived to it's full potential. My peace in the mountains continues to call my soul and I need to hang on to that during these moments.

silverhalo and Searching1 like this.
  14. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, the time has come. I have found an apartment and will be moving out of my house this weekend. And everyday it becomes more real. Little things trigger me now- this morning it was taking out the trash for the last time; yesterday it was driving down our gravel road and seeing our house in the distance. Little things that have become such a normal part of my routine. Such a part of my comfort zone.

But we cannot move forward if we handcuff ourselves to the past. To the memories of what once was, but can no longer be. I am moving out to find myself. To assure myself that I am not crazy or having some life altering crisis that if given enough time would pass and I would heal. I am moving out so that I can move forward.

This year has been such a blur of emotions and turmoil. Tears and anger. Regrets and promises. I still feel guilty for hurting someone that I care about so deeply, but I am learning that in time this is what needed to happen. I need to find me, the real me, that I have been running from for so long. And in time, I hope that he can forgive me and come to understand that I could never truly be at peace any other way.

There are new struggles to face now. The challenges of explaining to friends and relatives that we are separating. Learning to politely tell people just enough to tame their curiosity, without telling them information I do not want to divulge. So much of this struggle has been hidden that everyone assumes I am making some rash decision. They have not seen the tears and the pain. Have not had to deal with the darkness that has brought me to this point. They do not know my full story- and until the time is right they never will. I am no longer ashamed to be who I am. I am me. I am NeonSocks. I am a here. And today, I am making my stand to allow that to be enough.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck, I know you will be fine :slight_smile: you have come through so much. The people that matter will understand. The real you is going to be amazing.

NeonSocks likes this.
  16. junebug99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm happy that you have found path to follow in life. And I hope you are able to be happy with just being you. I think it's important to be happy being you. So many people rely on someone else for their happiness. I wish you well. And maybe all of us will cross paths one day.

dreamingfreely and NeonSocks like this.
  17. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @junebug99 thank you!!

And I joked with @silverhalo yesterday that now we need to start the "decorate NeonSocks apartment" thread. It's not much but should any of you ever find yourselves in Iowa, I will have drinks in the fridge waiting. :beer: :slight_smile:

18. junebug99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here! If you ever find yourselves in Ontario, Canada there's always cold beer in my fridge!

NeonSocks likes this.
  19. leb10

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey @NeonSocks - good for you. How courageous to move forward for yourself (and your partner) even though it hurts right and it's hard. As for the other people and their opinions, I'm still shocked by how taboo divorce is to a lot of people. If someone hasn't faced it before they tend to not appreciate how difficult it is. Don't take their negativity. Hang tight. I think you might be surprised how much lighter you feel in your new space even thought it'll take some adjustment.

Also- excited for an apartment decorating thread!

NeonSocks likes this.
  20. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A new apartment, a new twist along the journey. Who knows where it will lead. It takes a lot of courage to turn down this road.

This time may be challenging, but I don't think you will ever regret it. Releasing the shame, taking off the handcuffs to the past, running TOWARDS the real you instead of running away...I believe the road is headed somewhere GOOD.

A new chapter in the book of Neon Socks. Keep writing your story! We'll keep reading! :slight_smile:

**I have to join in if everyone is making proclamations about cold beers in their fridge. If any of you make your way to CT, my door is open too. My fridge is stocked with cold wine coolers in all the trendy fruity flavors, almond milk, AND Shop Rite Brand cheese sticks. That's right, generic cheese sticks --only the best for my EC tribe :wink: !!