1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else..

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Just1Dude, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ..feeling down?

Not sure if it is the upcoming season change, just my "depression" cycle or what triggered it.. but man.. this has been a tough one.

I guess misery loves company. Not really though, I wish this didn't exist and we could all just be happy. I'm tired of breaking down almost every 30 minutes and feeling like I'm suffocating.

What do you all do during the rough patches? Any sort of ritual etc.., or just ride it out?

2. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I withdraw completely. Shut myself off from everyone and everything. I more or less cease to exist.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried practicing mindfulness? It's a useful tool for many people who have stress, anxiety and depression and there are lots of good resources online. You might also look into buying a lamp for S.A.D if the change in seasons is affecting your mood.

When you are depressed it may feel like you are facing a walk up a mountain and you might be tempted to withdraw, but that really isn't a good idea. Drawing into yourself is counterproductive and only exacerbates the low mood, to the extent that you may spiral downwards. As hard as it might be, try to keep yourself active and stay connected. Talk about how you feel instead of bottling it up.

If things get really bad do consider counselling.

#3 PatrickUK, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Ruby Dragon, Just1Dude and Leela80 like this.
  4. Leela80

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just about any kind of physical activity (exercising, sports, walking) can boost your serotonin levels. Just talking to a friend can help too.

Just1Dude likes this.
  5. Tallen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also suffer from S.A.D. this time of the year when we get shorter periods of day light I start to feel depression coming on. I tried bright lights, even suntan beds, went out into busy crowds, took up hobbies, trying to preoccupying my mind and yes I sought out counseling, read self help books on the subject but the depression kept coming back.

During a physical check up with my doctor I shared with him about my depression and sad moods and he suggesting trying a medicine. I do not like pills but on his recommendation I said I would give it a try.

He prescribed Escitalopram 10 mg once a day and it has really really helped me. I was told this is not habit forming and I will only be taking the pill during the winter months.

Sometimes the solution to our suffering is a medication to bring us relief. If we have an infection we take an antibiotic, if we have a sinus infection we will use nasal spray so why suffer with depression if a tiny white pill once a day can help one to feel better.

Even though I don't like medicines I am thankful for the doctors recommendation and I feel much much better.

#5 Tallen, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Ruby Dragon, Just1Dude and Leela80 like this.
  6. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate you all so much.

I am making plans, making lists etc.., I have heard that it is therapeutic to do that and wow it is.
    I am making plans for counselling. I am needing to fix up my insurance that got all jacked up (that is on the list)
    I am making plans to find a new job since I got "let go" from the church I worked at. (I wonder why... and that definitely didn't help me)
    I am so thankful for my friends. I have none where I am at, but my long distance friends really helped with talking. My family (Mom and nephew) have really helped too. I had nobody to talk to because I felt so ridiculous.
    I am taking natural medication right now to see if it helps, and I feel like it is helping a little or at least tricking me.
    I have stopped cutting myself off from everyone. It has been hard to maintain a sunny disposition, but gym time and non profit work has continued. I am also hoping to be brave enough to put my avatar back on soon too.
    I have expressed my LONG time goals with close friends who have jumped on my support train. I am honestly surprised at how supportive they are. I have had these dreams since I was a kid and now they are becoming a planned reality. Makes me want to cry.

I am still battling the depression. Everything has been helping, but there are still times where I just completely break down and keep telling myself that I am okay, everything will be okay. I am still having that suffocating feeling and loss of breath during my anxiety attacks at the most random times. I am ready for this "bout" to be done with. I am hopeful that I will keep my head up and keep heading towards my path even without suffering through the depression. I think talking with a counselor is going to be high on the list after I get some other things (insurance) figured out.

I really, really do appreciate you all. I probably will end up posting again either during this bout or a future one :frowning2: One step at a time I suppose.
    -Much love.

7. Leela80

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to do to get back on track! Way to go! Just remember that you’re never alone. And just because one day is bad it doesn’t mean the next one will be.

Just1Dude likes this.
  8. MikeWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I basically turn into a parasite and latch on to the nearest thing to me for comfort and support, weather it's my mom or friends. Having someone i can trust with my secrets and share my feelings with, sites like this are great for that, there's almost always someone to talk to

Just1Dude likes this.
  9. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Leela80 Thank you, it is still an uphill battle, but I'm definitely doing my best. Thank you for your posts!

@MikeWolf I understand that. I really started feeling "better" when I connected with a friend I hadn't talked to in a few years. We chatted for a long time and.. boy.. I really needed that release and that out pour of support. This site is definitely great! Thank you for your post too.

Leela80 likes this.
  10. MikeWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @Just1Dude oh yeah, the need to release, quiet corners and good friends