1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Police Kill Georgia Tech Student

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mnguy, Sep 18, 2017.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...fc1b2e4b02da0e1436594?section=us_queer-voices

I just can't understand why a taser, mace, rubber bullets, wide spread shotgun to the legs, a net, police dog, etc couldn't be used in this and other cases like it. I watched the video and the student doesn't lunge or rush at the officer, swinging the "knife" threateningly. Other stories report the "knife" was a multi-tool and didn't have the blade exposed. If that's the case, it would be nothing to officers wearing riot gear. Even a night stick and shield would be able to disarm such a person. They use this method against mobs of rioters, but one person would be too much to handle, really?!?!? They jump to the most lethal method against one distraught person. My only conclusion is police respond this way because they think it'll teach others who see it to obey their commands and they know protocol allows it rather than use the least harmful method. It's so sad the cops in this and similar cases can't think of other means to use.

My condolences to the family of this poor soul.

2. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree entirely, mnguy. There were lots of other options.

As well, I think there are many, many police forces where the officers are not trained at all in mental health interventions and therefore their actions have an alarming tendency to escalate such situations, the end result being "suicide by cop".

:cry:

3. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This person, seemingly, is intentionally committing suicide by police force, despite what his mother seems to believe. Why the police shot makes no sense though, they are now party to assisted suicide and potentially murder charges if any lawyer worth half the amount they cost is trying to charge them with it. Non-lethal methods would easily dispatch someone who is walking dazedly to you and halting repeatedly.

#3 Humbly Me, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2017
  4. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was no absolutely no need for this tragedy to happen. The cops started off trying to de-escalate the situation and there was no reason for one of them to abandon that process and shoot the person instead. This was a mental health emergency and that student clearly needed help. The person who was killed was actually the person who made the distress call to the police after leaving three suicide notes in their room. Photos taken after the shooting showed the knife was multi-purpose pocket knife with the blade folded inwards. There was no gun.

Whether it was 'suicide by cop' is debatable. The student had attempted suicide two years previously. What is less debatable is the need for police to have used such unnecessary force in this situation.

The police department in Georgia confirmed their officers are only equipped with guns, and not any less lethal weapons. Hopefully, this tragedy can bring about some change in how their law enforcememt responds to mental health emergencies.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't they just use a taser or even a pellet gun? Like why did they have to kill them? Anyways RIP.

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Unfortunately these police don't have tasers and aren't trained to use any. Although, that does raise the question on why don't they.

By the sound of it, it seems like this was suicide by cop. Regardless, they really need to train cops to handle these sorts of situations differently.

Sad and tragic, RIP

7. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't they aim for an appendage such as a leg or foot in the case of a slowly walking person to subdue them instead of a lethal attack on someone who posed no imminent threat...

8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly, I don't understand why it's always shoot to kill. I can't imagine the police don't have night stick and riot shield/gear to protect against a tiny multi-tool. How much does it cost to have rubber bullets that fit in the existing guns they have? They handle riots w/o shooting everyone involved and have no idea what weapons they may have, but were unable to arrest one person makes no sense. Another article said in the 911 call they said they had a knife and a gun, but I'd like to hear a recording of the call. Police in other countries would handle such situations w/o a gun. How come they're able to, but not in the US? Really pathetic and tragic.

9. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Really, they do? Have other weapons i mean. Here in the US, a gun is basically standard it seems. Yet obviously there's other options, like tasers. I swear they're just coverign their own asses using the 'the report said they were armed' or 'i feared for my life'. Its bullshit. If you aren't good enough to go into a situation and look at what's right in front of you, and handle it with lethal force only when said is presented at you, then you shouldn't be a cop. And the justice system needs to stop letting them get away with it. There was a case a while back where a guy died in police custody in the back of their truck cause of rough driving and i don't remember if they got charged or not. I don't think so, honestly there's so many cases its hard to keep track. I'm hearing so many stories about cops shooting unarmed people. This student, a deaf person, etc. Its like they aren't taught how to deescalate situations. Makes me scared, like god forbid something happens and i need them or someone in the neighborhood does, will they actually help or will they shoot first and ask questions later?

10. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I could say it's surprising, but for me it unfortunately isn't.

It's both the US, and the south. People are judgmental and gun-crazy here, which doesn't often end nicely.

These sorts of things don't always go reported, but then again this time it's the police who are sort of trusted to act responsibly.

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people