1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-everything FtM with PCOS

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by AndrewVSAndrea, Sep 18, 2017.

1. AndrewVSAndrea

Out Status:
    Some people
    I apologize if a post like this has been made before, but I couldn't find one and I have some really specific questions. My doctor recently told me that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, and not only that, but the imbalance of having so much testosterone and so little progesterone (thanks to the cysts preventing proper hormone creation) is what's been causing a severe overweight problem I've had since my first period. This has raised some very frightening questions for me.

1) Can I still transition even with PCOS?

2) Would bottom surgery still be an option?

3) Is the testosterone the cause for my obesity or is it the low progesterone? I can't go through with HRT if it means I'm this heavy, and heavier, for the rest of my life.

4) If the answer to #3 is yes, testosterone is what caused my weight gain, would getting a hysterectomy solve anything?

Please, if anyone knows, I would love an answer as soon as possible. I'm really freaking out and scared that my life is over.

#1 AndrewVSAndrea, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that you should talk to your doctor about this. People with PCOS can and do transition, if you look up 'FtM PCOS" you'll find some stories that might help. I believe that weight gain associated with PCOS is because of the excess androgens in your system, but I don't think that testosterone therapy would necessarily make it worse. If you do choose to start HRT, I would guess the dosage would be different for you than for someone without PCOS but I'm not an endocrinologist so don't take my word for it.

I think a hysterectomy would help with some of the symptoms, but you would still have to take either testosterone or estrogen because of health complications that can arise.

3. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think the hormones have a whole lot to do with the weight gain. When I was a teenager, I weighed roughly 170. Until i cut out sugar recently, I weighed 275. I'm at 250 right now. And my wife is almost 300. It could be genes or your glands, but I honestly don't think it would be the hormone imbalance. But I don't know your genetic makeup. Another thing is that I have a hormone imbalance that causes my body to produce an excess of pheromones. What that does to me is make me smell like I haven't taken a shower in a year. It's a bad body odor, and has caused me to get in a lot of physical fights, because people refuse to believe me.

4. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Having PCOS can cause weight gain and can make it more difficult to lose weight. Its one of the key things about it!
    You can still transition with PCOS and your Drs should be able to advise you properly, please dont worry about it. PCOS is very common.Write down all the questions you want answering and ask the Dr. Best of luck.