1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want a new haircut, worried about how to do it

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NightCourt, Sep 17, 2017.

1. NightCourt

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't told my family about how I've begun questioning my gender orientation, but I want still to get a new haircut. I'm biologically female but I want a very, very short new cut. My dad hates short haircuts on women, despite that he says he is happy as long as I'm happy with what I get. I haven't even told them how short I want the cut, even though I've mentioned getting a shorter haircut to my mom. I've gone from long-to-shoulder-length cuts before, and I've always toed the line of going shorter.
    I think I'm genderfluid, but am still figuring things out. I'm definitely not ready to tell any of my family yet. I've just begun to really tune into who I am, which began last year when I came out as bi. I've actually started to consider asking for a haircut, going to the place and then showing the stylist person a picture and just being like, oh I thought I told you, etc. Any ideas? For haircut or otherwise?

2. Really

Is your hair quite long at the moment? There are charities that collect "ponytails" to help make wigs for cancer patients who've lost their hair. Perhaps you could find one in your city to donate to. Sometimes salons are organized to collect hair. I wonder if you found one, you could get your hair cut there, explain what cut you wanted to the stylist. Anyone with a problem with your haircut would seem pretty heartless complaining seeing as it was for charity.

Just a thought but also, hair grows back so people should just get over themselves.

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Really. If you tell your parents that you'd like to donate your hair to charity, maybe they will be more open to the idea. Then eventually they will grow accustomed to you with short hair, and you will be able to keep it short until you decide otherwise

4. larkmary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If getting the haircut helps you to come out of the closet than do it. The first time I went very short, my ex gf a hairdresser had taken me from my hips to a very short pixie that she buzzed in the back and on the sides and trimmed longer layers on the top my hair was not more than an inch , and the top was an inch and a half. She had liked a more masculine look on me. She had not discussed with me she just gave me a slow haircut until it was up to the collar then she buzzed it. I was in shock at first but it made her so happy I was ok with it and it help me identify me. It was very liberating and set me free. She had actually made the haircut fun, it was private and she was dressed very sexy.

#4 larkmary, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  5. larkmary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have problems with family allowing you to get a haircut take out you scissors when no one is home and just cut your hair, cut it crooked in the back and as high as you can so you have no choice but to get your hair cut short.

6. Really

Interesting advice but cutting hair is actually not as easy as you'd think. Even badly. And how long do you want to live with this "style" until you can get an appointment?