1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In your experience: Is it worth it to pay for dating sites?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AuroraBorealis, Aug 19, 2017.

1. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in a small city with no real gay community. I've had ####### since December, I don't go on it much. There's several that 'liked' my profile, but no one messages me therefore I've never really made a connection. I saw there are cheap versions (like $5 a month) but I'm honestly just..is it worth it? I don't want to turn this thread into a pity party, but I'm genuinely just lonely(I've been single for 4 years) and pretty depressed. I like one of my friends and that's just a shitstorm in my life. I'm not necessarily looking for something serious, but definitely looking for more than a hookup

2. Samthing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say go for it. If you've exhausted your options in real life, online dating could be a way forward

3. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    any online site for dating is a bit crazy

you attract the wrong sorts most of the time

online groups of communities of GLBTQ is a better thing or in person places of support

I belong to a few groups that are in person non profit and they use online to communicate due to being international.

I hope you find a way to find others in your area.

#3 TrevinMichael, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  4. Tallen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been on and off two well known dating sites :two_men_holding_hands: for a couple of years and I am still single and lonely :worried:.

I live in a small town in south Kentucky, 70 miles from the nearest city having any gay activities, so joining a dating site basically expanded the possibilities of meeting a relationship minded person but that hasn't happened.
    The only one so far thats getting anything out of my membership is the dating sight who is collecting my :heavy_dollar_sign: money.

I dont plan on rejoining.

5. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't personally trust online dating sites. My sister met and married a guy off one, that seemed great at first. Until he threatened her with a knife. So she divorced him instantly after that. And I hang out at Craigslist a lot just checking out this and that. And some of the people there are looking for the most psycho stuff you can find. One guy was into bodily waste, and looking for someone that would relieve themselves on his face. Number 1 and number 2. And that was in the strictly platonic section! I'm too scared to look at the actual dating/romance sections.

So basically I would say don't go there. As Forrest Gump said "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

6. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have never tried because no it's not worth it when it's still possible(and more romantic) to actually meet someone.

7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you know you want more than just a hookup, then it might be worth paying for a dating site subscription. It couldn't hurt to at least try it for a few months and see how it goes.

I have tried paying in the past, only for a short time. Didn't meet anyone special, but I eventually realised I did just want hookups rather than something more committed. I have phases where I feel like I just don't want to go out and meet people, and having someone message me when I'm not in the mood kind of becomes an unwanted distraction for me (I end up feeling bad for the person reaching out to me as well) so I don't want to be paying for a service that I can't be bothered with. I just want to get off now and then, and there are ways of doing that without dating sites and apps.

If you are willing to invest a lot of your time and energy into meeting someone, then you might as well invest a bit of money into it as well.

8. Aure

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with both of you. In my opinion It's not worth paying for something online. In my own experience (althought I didnt pay) I have found people that dont be worth it, crazy people or people that only are there for sex. Internet has lots of benefits but it's full of crap too. I think It's much better communities like this or just the outside world. You can sign up in some activity where you can find boys. Sometimes there are activities aimed at LGBT community. It is much better when you meet someone in a spontaneus way.

9. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm small town myself. Online dating for me was ended in divorce and disappointed. I fee small town stuck but I would be cautious on online dating sites. Even the ones that sell commercials. It is to easy for someone to type you anything and tell you what you want to hear because they don't have to say it to your face. Just be slow and cautious with dating sites. Been alone 5 years and have friend that have shared some romance with but is a shitstorm because he is terrified of family and others. Keep your head up and know your not the only small town struggler.....

10. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    when you meet with out the help of the internet you can also find selfish mean people

I am divorced too and that was years before internet ever happened.