1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it weird if guys are not interested in sports?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Counting myself, I know a dozen or more guys that don't care for sports. We might watch it if other people are interested or insist on it, but none of us go out of our way to watch them or follow any team.

2. dylanbpool

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    depends i guess, i love to exercise to stay fit but i like doing non team activities like cycling and running, I also watch Tennis rather then sports like soccer

3. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are you in the US? I can't speak of the culture in foreign countries but, here in the US, there are some people that get too into sports, in my opinion, who are very rigid about what masculinity is and does. I remember watching an episode of Oprah. She had a young black boy on who was a talented tap dancer. His parents, especially his mother, made me so angry. She talked about how she thought it was extremely 'weird' for her son to be interested in dance instead of sports. I really think she was trying to insinuate that her son was gay.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Maybe, you should stop talking about sports with your family. Is your relationship with them good besides on this issue?

4. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @PlantSoul
    I'm from Asia. Here in my country, most guys love soccer. So, if a guy (like me) doesn't like soccer, he will be considered "abnormal". Actually, my relationship with my family is fine, expect the sports part. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sometimes, when my family and I are watching the news in TV, if the broadcaster mentions about the results of a certain sports match, they will start this topic about me not interested in sports again. It seems that anything related to sports will trigger them to keep asking me again and again haha. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But, I have started to ignore these remarks.

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, where I grew up soccer wasn't really considered a manly sport. Yeah, people expected their sons to play, but they also expected their daughters to play. I know a few people who consider it the wussy man's sport and lump with such sports as track, swim, and tennis.

But yeah, to answer the original question.
    I grew up in the south where college football seems to be a way of life. My high school gave the football players special treatment, including turning a blind eye when they bullied other students, and passed them in classes they were failing so that they could play. Guys were expected to be interested in sports, and their girlfriends/wives were expected pretend interest. The friends I made weren't really interested in sports at all. I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of a single guy I know that doesn't haven't even a passing interest in sports. The fact that I hated football and most other sports put me in the uncommon lot that would more than likely get mocked.
    The only sports I do find interesting are ones such as soccer, track and field, swimming, and esports (because I do count that as a sport)
    As a kid I played recess soccer, and I was on a middle school basketball team for a year.

But I really don't understand other guys obession with things like football and fantasy football. Like, no dude, I don't want to come over and the watch the game. Why can't we just chill and play video games, or watch Game of Thrones, or anime or something. If you like sports then you like sports. If you don't then you don't. Either way it doesn't mean you are any more or any less of a man.

6. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I included soccer because I wasn't sure where the OP was from. I'm from the US (pretty obvious since I call it soccer not football) where your right, it's not a "manly" sport. However if you go to basicly any other country it's the opposite, so I included it.

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's definitely not weird for a guy to dislike sports. I have no interest in any sport and just because I'm gay doesn't mean that's the case. I know straight guys who also do not like sports at all. Same goes for women. It's stereotyped in masculine culture that all guys need to like sports but that simply isn't the case. Everyone has their likes, dislikes, and interests, and it's perfectly normal for any guy to not be interested in sports.

8. RGS

RGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Particularly, I think it isn't. I've always disliked sports such as volleyball and mainly soccer (I have always hated this one). Sometimes I think guys around me see playing soccer as a standard supposed to make them more masculine or something like that, which I totally disagree with.

9. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no golden rule that states that if you are a man you are required to be into sports. I know men who hate sports, and women that are obsessed with a particular sport. Does that break the golden rule that women aren't allowed to like sports? Not in the least. It's like asking if it's not ok for a man to like Chinese food. Or if you have a preferred brand of shoes. The only thing that defines a man is you. Others do not have the privileged or right to define you. Don't force yourself to partake in something you flat out do not enjoy. As for comments from others, I would tell them to kiss my ass, and turn the subject around. Let's say your father loves Ford, but hates Chevy. Ask him if that means he's "not a true man" for not liking Chevy. Would it make you less of a man to buy a Corvette instead of a Silverado. Just don't respond in anger. Keep calm and respond with intelligence and knowledge. If you do that, you will usually disarm your opponent and the problem would cease. If you're determined to "win" the argument, you can always offer facts the would prove one shoe over the other, or one vehicle over the other. It's whatever you feel you need to do.

10. Bakemono

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  11. Panda117

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course not. Who is who to say what someone should like based on their gender. There are men of all sexualities that are not into sports. My dad being one of them. So you be you.

12. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No it isn't weird at all, just like it's not weird for a girl to like sports. Personally I would prefer a guy I date be into sports but only because it's a huge interest for me, so I'd like someone to share that with. But I would never turn anyone down strictly for not like Ingrid's sports.

13. gayguy1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it's weird for a guy not to be into sports. When I was in elementary school (k-7) I was into sports and played on most of the different teams we had, when I got to high school (8-12) I for some reason just started not liking sports. Ever since then I just don't like watching or participating in sports. I live in Canada and you should of seen the looks I got when I asked how many periods were in a hockey game. I was like 29 I think and I just never payed attention to any of this stuff. I think almost everyone who heard me thought I was some kind of idiot just because I didn't know or don't like sports.

14. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok thanks for your replies guys :slight_smile:

15. Ryu

Ryu

I can't stand sports for the most part, bar the 1v1/2v2 sports like tennis and badminton.

It just isn't my thing. I don't enjoy watching games, they're too long to be interesting in my opinion, and I don't enjoy playing 'team' sports because most people that do are twats.

I wouldn't say it's 'weird'. People have different hobbies, and normies can have watching sport, and you can do whatever it is that you want to.

16. MatttIce

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sports is a must for me. But that’s only because it’s something I’m passionate about, and i would like to have that in common.

17. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is. A sport is anything competitive that shows your talent.

Dancing is a fucking sport. Poker is a sport. Pokemon and Yugioh is a fucking sport. I don't care how fem or geeky a guy is, he's involved in some sport.

ugh.

So yes you are into fucking sports.

Now are sports homophobic and cause friction, hell fucking yes, but that's not what you asked.

#37 Suomi, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  18. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love working out and in general being physically active, but I don't really watch or am interested in sports. Although I did follow basketball as a teenager and I loved it, nowadays I'd need a dedicated cable subscription for that, so I don't.

Some of my acquaintances are into sports but only for betting and stuff, I don't think they actually care about the sport per se.

19. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't watch or play any sports

20. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation: