1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BM09, Sep 12, 2017.

1. BM09

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, everyone!
    Before anything, I want to apologize for my English. English is my 2nd language and I still learning. Hopefully, you will be able to understand me.

I would like to know if a person can find out to be gay at age 24? because when I search on the internet it seems that everyone knew they were gay at a younger age. I honestly never questioned myself about being gay. I know that when I was in college and if I stare at a girl I would always say to myself that I needed to stop looking because my friend would think that I was gay when it was not the case. I always had a fear about that. However, I never questioned myself. I was a very insecure and low-esteem person. In my early 20's I dated two men. then at age 24, I found myself looking at a girl again but this time she actually paid me attention. I freaked out and started to ask me a bunch of questions. I got sooo anxious but I knew I really wanted to give me the chance of dating this girl. We became partners and I really loved her. It has been a few years since then. Now I know that I feel more comfortable with a woman. I loved her and I really enjoyed the sex too; it's simply gorgeous to make love to a woman. However, I still question myself. How can I truly be a gay person if I never asked me that until I was 24 years? and if that is the case, I even feel less than others out there because I am not a "gold-star. " and to be honest it seems that every year people come out at a younger age which is awesome because it means they know themselves and accept themselves sooner. However, what about me? a person in their late 20's with all this questioning?
    am I fooling myself?
    please Help.

Imjustjulien and ShortButSweet like this.
  2. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No you arent fooling yourself! You'll find that this place is full of people who figured it out "late". Some people are lucky to grow up in curcumatances that are conducive to them figuring it out earlier, others aren't. But having been with a man doesn't make you less gay (if you are). "Gold stars" are the minority, i think.

P.S. your english is good!

3. BM09

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. But do you think I got to know that really that late? when is considered already to be a little "late"?
    I think that my intimate experience with a man was so unpleasant that I still wish it never happen. I never enjoin it, One Dr told me that was no normal. That I should feel pleasure but I was unable to.
    I feel that I cannot still deal with that part of my past. I even went to a psychologist in that time for the intimate reason and she asked me if I was gay. I simply denied it without even thinking about it. A couple years later I found myself dating a girl. Ironic.
    I do not know no one like me.. I do really need support.
    I still feel less
    thank you for your answer.

4. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are people on this forum who are in their forties, fifties, sixties or even beyond who are only now in the process of accepting that they are gay or bisexual. So you are not late. If you think about it nobody starts out in their life thinking "Yay, it would be great to be gay...." so perhaps it is not surprising that many of us find it difficult to accept that we are not straight and take a long time to get to that point.

OED27x, NeonSocks, BM09 and 2 others like this.
  5. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello there BM09,

If you have read on the other posts, it will really make you realize how lucky you are to come to such an epiphany on your late 20s. I'm not trying to dismiss your experience, I think everyone go through their own journey differently. And I don't know the statistics but Gold stars do not make up the majority of gays.

In my case I came to terms with my sexuality when I was 24, I have always had crushes on women and lesser on men. I thought I was a lesbian, because it's the only vocab I had on my "gaytionary"lol (English is also my 2nd language). I also almost fell for my gay mate(male) in college. Anyway, now I know I'm bi, but really, I could fall in love with a frog. (visualizing the frog prince. Sry for the slight incoherence lol)

6. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can you expound on these statements? (e.g. Details or examples)
    What makes you think no one likes you?
    What makes you feel less?

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I didn't work out I was gay until I was 25/26 and when I figured it out I felt like you that I was the only person in the world that was that old before they figured it out but as the others have said you are not old and not alone there are many people your age and older only just figuring things out.
    Stick around here and read some stories you will see you are just like many of us.

BM09 likes this.
  8. BM09

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much,
    Yes, I would Love to read the experience of people who figured it out later.

9. BM09

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To find out to be gay at 24 and still in the process of accepting myself. also that I am no a gold-star

10. BM09

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much, that is right. It is just that in the youth there is also possible to find people that if they know you realize "late" or you are not a "gold-star" or if you had a different path they wanna make you feel less and that is sad because I had such a hard time in my life and I was such a low-esteem person (still but I am getting better) and there is already homophobia out there so.. Why do other LGTB people need to be so hard with other LGTB? I can barely accept me and my path and to find that is not really helpful.
    However, I must say all gay adults I have met are super nice!! but some gays Youth no :frowning2:

11. BM09

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OMG and How do you feel? How was it for you?

12. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that it's never too late, honestly.

BM09 likes this.
  13. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In a few years you'd be proud of yourself for finding out that you're gay at 24 and not at 42 or later. :slight_smile:

Have you heard of JOHARI's window? it's like a psychological tool for self awareness. There are four windows,
    1. How you and others see you
    2. How you see yourself that others don't know
    3. How others see you that you're not aware of
    4. And the unknown, neither you nor others are aware about this side of you

It's healthy to keep a balance of these windows.
    You are on your early adulthood, You have time to silence the voices that make you feel less. You'll wake up one day and tell yourself, "so what if I'm no gold star" "who gives a damn of what other people say. This is my life, and I'll take control of it." And you'll even have a laugh of your old self for sure :wink:

Someday soon you'll accept yourself, because you don't really have much of a choice but to do so. Let's be kind to ourselves. One step at a time. :slight_smile: (I have to remind myself of this too)
    Goodluck!

BM09 and Soundofmusic like this.
  14. Leela80

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What I've learned is that there is no correct age to come to this realization. Some people repress their feelings for years and some simply just open their eyes one day. Everyone's journey is different.

BM09 likes this.
  15. BM09

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you SO much. I loved you what you wrote. I think I might even to re-read it anytime I feel down. Thank you.

16. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Someone's sexual orientation has no bearing on whether they are nice or not. There are nice gay people and complete gits too!

#16 Peterpangirl, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    BM09 and Hushhh like this.
  17. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was around 21 when I first thought I could be bi, but I ignored this thought by refusing to question, explore, or even be open to the possiblity. It wasn't until my early 30's I questioned it seriously and accepted myself as bi. So you're not alone nor are you "late".

I like to think everyone comes out at exactly the right time for them. Not too early, not too late, just right when you were ready for it :slight_smile:

As for "gold stars", the people who matter won't care. I honestly don't see why this even matters. It's like shaming people for being virgins or not virgins. It doesn't matter in the bigger picture of a relationship. We're all human here. We all have scars, bumps, and bruises. We all have less than ideal pasts or experiences or no experience. Who cares how you got here, as long as you're here? If someone judges you for your history, they aren't right for you.

#17 Cinnamon Bunny, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    BM09 and Hushhh like this.
  18. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi BM09, first up - your English is great... and its honest and sincere and that truly comes through..!!!

I'm with everyone else...well done you.

Any age is the right age, 14, 24, 44, 64, 84...whatever you might be .... me I'm 60, and only these last few years I've been really coming to terms with who I am sexually, human'ly, masculinly, fully.

Though I know now I've been gay all my life...all those little cues along the way.. now adding up, making sense. Thats just part of the journey. That it's really only now... in 2017.... having lived through the sixties seventies eighties nineties...into 2000 and in the recent 10-15 or so years that coming out has inched its way onto the table for me...well that is ok too. The past is gone, the future is yet to come...the present is right now as the saying goes and its a gift.

Be kind to yourself. No need invest energy in worrying about what is past, it is literally 'gone' it was who you were - where you were then - it didn't work out heterosexually sex for you with a man was yuck - now you know why - that is good news. Yes there were difficult bits, we have all had them...I know I have.

Trying to be the square peg is just uncomfortable. Until the day comes when we find the deep well of courage inside ourselves, to be openly honest to ourselves and say enough. I do not want to do this anymore. Uncomfortable - yes...

But it is fair also to say each bit - each step, each choice and experience, got you to where you are today. And thats Ok, the path meandered a bit, but that is also now in the past, gone.

BM09 You're you...and as you know you're gay... its you truth, a woman who likes, loves, connects with women...and that really is all there is to it.

And thats really beautiful.

As a 60 year old man (and young at heart I might add) who likes and is attracted to men (not all men of course, some are downright creepy, and gay men naturally - again not all again - some are outright weird, and hetero men don't get me, nor I them actually...nor do I want to in an intimate sense....gay is gay hooray).

Being aware and accepting that Im turned on by the sight of another man...well its taken years to peel away all the hetero cultural layers...my layers, to accept and know and be with the gay man I am, not someone elses version...but me.

And that I just do not get the same feeling on seeing a woman...and allowing that to be ok. And I love woman, but sensually sexually intimately, men are my thing, how wonderful at my late age to welcome these truths about myself.

So, in short, your ok. You're the perfect age because the age you are now is it.

You have your whole life ahead of you. One beautiful day at a time... it really is a case of smell the roses...and there are lots of them, in rainbow colours...and they smell gorgeous.

You are the beautiful alive woman you are, fully...right now, today.

You're wonderful.

Hope this helps.

Much love, Imjustjulien

Searching1, BM09 and Hushhh like this.
  19. BM09

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Thank you,
    You almost brought me to tears. Such a beautiful writing.
    I am really grateful for your message and for sharing your own experience.
    You truly made my day :slight_smile:

Maybe I should think that the best is yet to come; now that I know myself better than years ago.
    Big hug

Hushhh and Imjustjulien like this.
  20. BM09

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you,
    I like the idea that we realize when we are ready. Because, honestly, I think that It would have been almost impossible for me to confront being gay while paying such a hard attention to my family about sins and hell.
    :slight_smile: