1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family member reveals truths that hurt... I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Huckleberry24, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Huckleberry24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I have a family member (a cousin) who is 20 years old. We're from Utah and he is extremely LDS (Mormon), as is our entire family (I am outwardly NOT, for not just the obvious reason) He's also spoiled beyond belief, as his dad owns a very successful company and his parents literally pay for EVERYTHING for him. But my family, they all seem to be excepting of me as a non-religious gay woman. I've been out to them for a few years now, and I have a girlfriend who has become a part of the family. They all seem to love her, ask about her, and invite her to family events. But something happened last night that has me questioning whether any of it is real, or if they just "tolerate" me in order to be a "good christian".

My cousin needed help getting his things to his campus apartment, as he was riding a scooter, and had books and what not. My girlfriend and I sweetly offered to help him out, and he seemed excited to have us come see where he was living. So we followed him there and up to his very expensive apartment (That mommy and daddy pay for). Once inside he started giving us a tour of the place. He shares a room with a friend of his, and on said friends wall there was an American Flag hanging up, but it was black and white with a solid red strip in the middle. Now I know about the black and white flags with the blue stripe for the police, but I wasn't sure about this one. So I asked him, and he informed me it was for the firefighters. I'm aware of the flag trend that has been going around lately, and it seems that all of these flags are representing support for "norms", as in people who don't know what it's like to be judged, or suffer based on who you love or what you look like. So I decided to make a joke to him and suggest that he put up an American Flag that was rainbow colored, to show support for his gay cousin. However, it didn't land, and actually turned into something that deeply offended me, and hurt my feelings.

His face got rather serious, and he shook his head no and said he can't. I replied "You can't?" thinking maybe his roommates would be upset because of their closed-mindedness. But it turns out it was my cousin who's the closed minded one. He said, he can't because he doesn't condone or approve of "what we do". And then proceeded to finish his tour. I was rather upset, but didn't want to appear rude, so I went along with the rest of the tour. This however, lead us outside and around the rather expensive area. At one point I mentioned that if I had to live with a bunch of college students I would go crazy. His response was "Hey, we're not all bad." and I shot back with "Neither are gay people." He then proceeded to give me some schpeal about cake, and us liking different kinds, and that he doesn't care so long as we don't tell him he can't believe or act how he wants.

Next, in the elevator ride back up to his apartment, he started complaining about his neighbors, and how they are "questionable" because they drink and smoke. This lead to him admitting that he's judgemental, just not to his family. I told him it's not good to be judgemental, and he told me to not point out all his flaws. The night ended shortly after that, I stayed and seemed interested in his life and what he was doing (because I'm the better person), but once we left his comments hit me like a bullet. I shed tears, as did my girlfriend, and my perspective of my whole family has now changed.

This cousin has 4 other siblings, who all grew up the same way, being taught the same religious bullshit, and I fear that their thoughts are the same as his. I also have other aunt's and cousins, and a grandfather who all adhere to the same beliefs and now I feel like a merely tolerated "sinner" who they don't like behind my back.

So I guess the advice that I am seeking is, I really want to confront him (in a respectful manner as I don't want to fight) because I feel he needs to know the effect his words had on me. He needs to be educated to the world outside of his sheltered LDS safe-space. And him and his siblings are all nice boys, I feel like I could at least get him to see my side. I just don't want to leave him to continue thinking the way he does, and potentially hurting peoples feelings that have a much harder life than him. So, does anyone have any advice on if I should talk to him, what I should say, or if it's a waste of time? Family is supposed to be where you feel safe and loved. But now I feel the opposite. And I also want to find out if the rest of my family feels this way, even if the answer will be devastating, because if they can't love me for me, and support me then they don't deserve to have me around. Despite our differences, I love my family, and I try to help them whenever I can. I like to consider myself a loving, giving, and caring person, and if those things aren't returned then I don't want to put myself in situations where I'm not wanted, that could end up really hurting me.

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't ate today so i can't really string this together so it sounds better. But imo...you can't censor people and you can't change them. All you can do is control your reaction. So i mean yeah confront him, get it all out, talk with him, but don't go into it seeking to change him. For years i wanted to change my mom's behavior (this was before even i knew i was gay) and all it did was string me along. She can't change, and she won't change until she sees her behavior is wrong. Instead what i do with my mom is have a polite, fake-close relationship with my mom. I'm polite, i'm conversational but i try to control the conversation by asking about things i know she'll want to talk about like her work and my siblings, and i listen when she needs a listener but i'm not emotionally invested in the relationship. But i much prefer not to spend time with her i just tolerate it when necessary and put up an act cause she's family, and i feel like 60 years down the line when she dies of old age i would regret it if i didn't.

3. Huckleberry24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    LunarLyric, I see what you're saying. I also understand the possible regret involved down the line if you decide to distance yourself now. But how much can a "fake-close" relationship mean to you? If someone doesn't respect you as a person, why would they deserve what you have to offer? All my life I've felt different and been treated different. But I still remain nice to people, even if they don't deserve it. But as time goes by, and I get older and experience more of the world, the less f**ks I give (pardon my language) because the world is a shitty place, and their are a lot of shitty people in it. People like us deserve the same exact respect as everyone else, and we are usually the first ones to give it, and the last ones to get it returned back to us. I know you can't change people, but you can enlighten them and try to show them a better way of thinking. Why should they get to go on having trash for opinions, while we get to continue to suffer from it?

4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This reminds me of a situation that I had with a female cousin who had took me to my first gay club prior to me coming out. This one particular time, she had invited me and my boyfriend at that time to her home for dinner. He had met her before and liked her a lot as she seemed to have liked him as well. Therefore, he was really excited about the invitation to her home for dinner. Everything had started off really well until he had reached over and gave me a hug and kiss while she went into the kitchen to check on dinner. However, while returning to the living room where we were, she caught us hugging and him kissing me on the lips. Immediately, she asked me to come into the kitchen for a minute to help her with the cocktails she was serving. To my surprise, I found out that this was just an excuse for her to inform me that she did not like the fact of my partner displaying PDA in her home due to the fact that she did not condone our lifestyle. I found this to be quite shocking because not only was she the one who took me to my first gay club, but she hung around gay guys on a regular basis and even took me with her to parties and dinners of gay guys that she was close with. In other words, she had the tag of being a "fag hag" to many of the gay guys at many of the local gay clubs.

Nonetheless, I thought at first that she was just joking with me until she gave me a very stern look and asked that me and my partner leave her home. Obviously, my heart was broken from her reaction and behavior as for my partner as well. Since that evening, I have not heard from her or seen her again. To say the least, this incident did not affect my moving forward with my life as a gay man. This what I suggest to you. First and foremost, I think you should meet with him and let him know how his comments and reaction to you and your partner have hurt your feelings. If sharing your feelings does not have him showing any empathy towards you...then perhaps you too should cut your ties with him or put a lot of distance between you and him and move on with your life. Do not let others' opinions/approval of your lifestyle/relationship hinder you from being happy and moving forward with your life. Just my suggestion/advice. Good luck and best wishes...JS

#4 JonSomebody, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  5. Leela80

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Many LDS people (not all) have a narrow view of thinking. They are taught certain things and don't question whether they should believe them or not. Unfortunately there's no way to make people like that turn around. They have to do that on their own. The best you can do is something that LDS people are taught. To be a good example. Gay people lives normal lives just like straight people.

6. Bootch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, at some point you just have to let go and focus on things you can control, and the best you can do is to live your life fully as a gay person.

Leela80 likes this.
  7. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ouch.
    "I just took you to a gay club to see if you were gay and when that was confirmed I invited you to my safe space to confront you and tell you your life choices disgust me. Now get out." ??

OUCH.

8. BosiMalkia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it sucks to feel like family does not agree with your life choices. Confront him if you need to get closure, but not to change his mind. He has his opinion and it should not matter If he tolerates you or fakes it. If he doesn't initiate homophobic conversations I wouldn't worry about it.