1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever regretted telling a certain person

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by zumbaqueen, Sep 12, 2017.

1. zumbaqueen

New question for all of you. Have you ever come out to a specific person and then wish you had not? Just curious because I've been having that feeling lately with one particular person I told. I'm not completely out yet, and I know she just wants me to be happy but she pressures me to more forward. Sometimes I'm just not ready.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had some temporary regret but nothing that has lasted particularly long.

Have you spoken to her about how what she says makes you feel?

3. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here, never any long term regret. Just be honest with her and tell her than you need to handle this at your own pace.]

But it's also not a bad thing to have someone on your side sort of pushing you to move forward. Its annoying, but it's a nice way to not get stuck.

4. Confused54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I came out about a year ago, and in the process told a self-professed "conservative Christian" acquaintance from Fort Worth, Texas that I was gay and getting a divorce. It was a difficult conversation and she cried (not sure whether about the gay part or the divorce part). We hugged, and then we both went on to the next session at the conference we were attending. We're still friends, and when we saw each other at the same conference this summer everything was OK between us.

During the process of coming out it can be stressful to tell some people, but in the end (after the passage of some time) you'll be happy you were truthful with yourself and your friends.

A year after coming out I'm pretty open about who I am and happy in the new relationship I've found with a delightful man.

driedroses likes this.
  5. zumbaqueen

I have spoken to her about it and I do know she is trying to be supportive. She is my best friend, and "was" my crush. She wants me to tell her husband and her mother (whom I socialize with) that I am gay. I told her in confidence in April of this year and she has kept that confidence. I don't really want to tell them now, but she wants me to and I'm sure part of it is the feelings I still have for her that makes me want to them, not for me but for her. I really thought I was over her, but sometimes I know I'm not. I've been trying to meet someone and start dating in the hopes that will go away for good.

RJay likes this.
  6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey zumbaqueen,

I would agree with the other input on this thread. Oftentimes, we have a sort of initial "buyer's remorse" about Coming Out to specific individuals or groups of people, but, in the longrun, we tend to find that we made the right decision for our own well-being, regardless of anyone else's reaction to our Coming Out.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah I'm sure her remarks come from a good place but it doesn't always make it easier. Does she know she was your crush?
    Perhaps she feels like she wishes she had someone else to talk about it to. At least you know she is entirely trustworthy.

RJay likes this.
  8. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've definitely regretted telling my mom and my siter. It's a total disaster, and I could have predicted that. But I haven't regretted telling my friends, other family members, or general acquaintances.

driedroses likes this.
  9. zumbaqueen

I have never directly told her. It started because a few weeks ago I told her I was thinking about telling her mom, who I really think highly of, and I don't have a close relationship with my own mother. She told me she knew her mom would be supportive, that's just the kind of person she is. Then she went on to tell me it wouldn't surprise her mom anyway because her mom and husband have both mentioned to her that they thought I had a thing for her. That shut me completely down. I never knew I was that transparent and I didn't want my friend to know. Now I don't feel like I want to tell them because they had it figured out. My friend kept telling me she told them they were nuts that I never came across that way to her. So in a way I think it would be better now if I had not told my friend. I'm still afraid of losing her as a friend if she knew everything- and we work together. I see her daily. Ugh.

#9 zumbaqueen, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    RJay likes this.
  10. zumbaqueen

Yeah, I don't have a close relationship with my mom or sister. I can't ever see me telling either of them.

RJay likes this.
  11. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh... I'm sorry. That is hard!

12. zumbaqueen

In fact she just left my office. She wanted to know if I wanted to go to lunch with her today. I said no. I don't have it in me today. Maybe I need to look for a new job.

RJay likes this.
  13. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :frowning2: I can relate. I told a friend of mine the other day that it would be perfect if V would just move away. Seeing her every day or two is just terrible now. Hugs.

14. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, it would have been nice if when she told you that her parents thought you had a thing for her, she had just asked, "you don't, do you?" Because... this shit is hard, and if our friends really care about what we are going through, they could help us out a bit, you know? I feel like if V just asked me, I'd have no problem saying, "yes, I *totally* have a thing for you! Are you kidding?" And then it would be out in the open. But no... we are stuck not only going through this but also doing ALL the heavy lifting.

driedroses likes this.
  15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok yes I feel your pain. I've never been in this exact situation but there were people in my life who realised I was gay before I did and I found it much harder to come out to those people than the ones who had no clue which I thought in some ways was stupid because I knew they would have an issue with it but a shame you say there are other forces at work here.

I had a summer job in Wales for a couple of years when I was at college. There were a couple of bisexual girls there and one of them asked me whilst we were out riding whether I was gay. I was a bit taken aback but in my mind I was completely straight so I obliviously said no. Forward several years when I realised I was gay and I am still good friends with one of the girls and when I wanted to come out to her it was different to coming out to other people.
    It sounds like even though they know they don't have a problem with it so if you wanted to tell them I don't think it would necessarily cause an issue but at the same time you shouldn't feel pressure from her to have to tell them.

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are assuming your friends are aware of your crushes.

17. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I'm assuming they might at least consider the possibility and help us clear the air.

driedroses likes this.
  18. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is where I at right now. There are a few people from college that I still talk to on a regular basis and I am sure they at least have their suspicions, but I just can' bring myself to tell them. Then of course there was my favorite tattoo artist who said to me at one appointment that she thought for sure I was a lesbian when we first met, but then she met my boyfriend and thought her "gaydar was broke."

I don't regret not telling them, but at the same time I feel like they already know so why not just put it out in the open.

Oh @zumbaqueen, I wish I had better advice for you!

RJay likes this.
  19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I don't know about Zumbaqueen friend but from what you have told us about V her self esteem is probably so low that she doesn't see how anyone can like her.

20. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it sounds stupid but you will know when the time is right.

NeonSocks likes this.