1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I persuade parents to let me visit my girlfriend more?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tinycosmos, Sep 11, 2017.

1. tinycosmos

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We've been together 3 months and we've had roughly 6 month gaps between seeing each other. Neither of us have cars because we're not old enough to drive and can't afford train tickets so we're both relying on parents, how do I persuade them it's worth being slightly inconvenient or find another way around this?

2. Aure

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you haven't told yet that she is your girlfriend; tell them you use that time to study with her or doing something productive that is beneficial for you. You could look for a simple job or a way of making some money with some task for younger people.

3. shadowalex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely know that public transportation can add up (I lived in the UK for a bit). I do agree with Aure that finding a way to get an allowance from your parents, saving up for train tickets, maybe making money by doing odd tasks is the best thing you can do while showing your parents that you are responsible. When I was in high school, I did all sorts of things to get rides to see my partners, some of which were less honest than others. Best case is that you ask to get a ride to your girlfriends house (maybe say she's your best friend and theres gonna be a sleepover?), but take it slow as to not inconvenience your parents otherwise they could be adverse to driving you at all. Good luck.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm assuming your parents know that you are together?

Perhaps you could ask your parents what they would like you to do in return for lifts and time to see her?

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello tinycosmos! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

I pretty much agree with the previous comments. I would simply ask, though, whether or not your parents and her parents already know that the two of you are girlfriends (i.e. a couple) - thus, are both or either of you Out to your parents. The answer to that makes a significant difference in terms of responses to your basic question/concern.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How old are you two? As others have said, you probably have to sweeten the deal with something you're willing to do. And, it could be more difficult if they don't know she's your girlfriend. Finally, look at other options that don't require visits, like calls and online contacts.

azzi likes this.