1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Becoming depressed when studying

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Loppox, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so for the past years I just noticed a trend that, well, has been very persistent.
    I become depressed every time a new year of uni/school/whatever starts.

I become more teary and my motivation goes to minus zero. In the beginning I can just do 1 or 2 assignments, but I feel myself drop to the point that I cannot even begin an assignment. I feel too tired, etc and it frustrates me. I can sit a whole morning on a chair, wanting to do the assignment, but I just stare blankly at my computer screen. Maybe 15 min later I will click on the text that has to be read, read the intro and then stop and sit for an hour doing nothing!!

I cannot do leisure activities because of this. I want to go out, but I just, sit, waiting till the point of actually going out has passed and then become frustrated at myself that I did not go out.

The same goes for normal activities like grocery shopping.

I think people will recommend a therapist or something, but in this town there are long waiting lists (months) for cheap therapists and I cannot afford regular ones.

Sometimes I do have 1 day energy spike in which I do a lot, and then it quickly goes down again.

2. loepis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you ever heard about pomodoro technique? Maybe you try to apply this and see if it works for you?

[​IMG]

3. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ill try this! I'm used to making time-stamped schedules, and sometimes things like these fail miserably because I just do nothing in those minutes but it can't hurt to try again!

I think I also misused the word depressed here, It is too heavy of a word to be used in this context. I apologize, I think it would be better if I called it ''low energy when studying'' or sth.

4. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, Ill try this today! I am used to having time-stamped schedules, and sometimes it fails miserably because I just do nothing in those minutes but It can't hurt to try again!

Also, I find that I misused the word ''depressed'' in this context. I apologize, I think it had been better if I called this thread ''low energy when studying''.

5. loepis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel the same way about finishing mundane works sometimes. The pomodoro technique works for me because of the 25-mins intensive work with intermittent breaks. I tend to proscratinate more if I feel the work is uninteresting or too hard.

6. Aure

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Going back to the routine is always hard and motivation is a difficult issue. You have to take baby steps to get back to high results. Instead of writing the complete assignment, write down slowly a little. Think that if you are unmotivated you are not going to do it anyway so try at least make it no matter how small is.

7. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi Loppox:

If you're in the Northern Hemisphere and your school year begins in the fall, you could be experiencing Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is a type of seasonal low-grade depression that some people (me included) get in the autumn and winter. It's caused by the change in light levels, which affects a hormone called melatonin and possibly a neurotransmitter called serotonin which, in turn, creates a low mood often accompanied by low energy.

There's lots of write-ups on the net about SAD and how to cope with it and if you find that those ideas don't help then maybe seeing a physician is the next step.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Cheers.