1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out but now I feel really awkward...Please help...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chloe123, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Chloe123

Chloe123 Guest

okay so here it goes.
    I came out over a month ago as trans to a friend of mine who goes to the same school as me. It was school holidays so I did it over snapchat and they said they were fine with it. Full stop. But now, after a month of barely talking I'm starting to feel awkward around them. Like when we're with friends and they're there. They're the only one who knows and it feels awkward whenever they speak. We haven't spoken face to face about it ever. It just feels...weird. They're a genuinely nice person but I can't stand being around them for five minutes, let alone have a conversation.

I want to approach them on snapchat again if I can, but I don't know how to do it without sounding naive or awkward. Please help, as always any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. JustLisa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand that you feel awkward around them. I think it is fairly common to feel awkward around people when you just came out, esp when they are discussing certain topics or when you only came out to a few yet. Honestly, I think you should really talk to your friend about how you feel even if you sound or feel naive or awkward. I understand and know it is scary but if you don't do it you are probably not going to feel any different around your friend anytime soon.

3. Chloe123

Chloe123 Guest

Thank you for the advice! I'll try to have a chat with them. What's the worst that can happen?

4. JustLisa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If they said they are fine with it nothing much I guess :slight_smile:

Anyways good luck!!

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I told a few people I was gay over a message when I was first coming out and the next time it was always awkward, I don think think they ever felt awkward only me and once I had spoken to them and spent time with them the awkwardness went away. I a man sure it will be fine.

6. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ya, do far my experince comming out as Bi has been similar. I tell them, they're like "cool dude" and then next time I see them nothing, its like we just talked about the weather or something. It kind of bugged me at first. After all I just went through this stressful exercise telling them something really important to me, and they barely react. But the more I think about it, the more I relize that thier reaction (or lack of reaction) is a good thing. When they keep acting the same, like nothing major happened, it means that to them nothing major happened. They're still your friend, because they like you, the person, not the lable. They don't care if your gay, straight, bi, trans, whatever, your thier friend and that's the important thing to them. Anyway I hope your chat goes well, and I hope you feel more confortable with them soon.

#6 jam93, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk to your friend about how you're feeling. Frame it in a positvie way that she knows how important this friendship is to you. She may need a little time to process the information and adapt. When you think about it, it takes many of us a very long period of time to accept ourselves after struggling with our orientation or identity. It can take a long time for us to come out of the closet. The people we trust with this information may also need some time to adjust to it as well.

Have an open talk with her and encourage her to talk about it. Let her know she is free to ask any questions she may have or address any concerns. Given time, the relationship should become strong again. Give it time.