1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kaiser

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SomecallhimTim, Sep 4, 2017.

1. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does anyone have experience transitioning with Kaiser? I have an appointment for a consultation in about a month and I've been trying to figure out what the timeline will be but I'm not having any luck. Especially people who have gotten top surgery through them; I'm wondering if I have to be on hormones to do that and for how long, and what I can expect it to cost.

2. Vincentt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm currently going through Kaiser for transition. My second appointment with a therapist is next week. Where are you located? California? Or mid-Atlantic?

3. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in Oregon.

4. Vincentt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I ask because the steps you have to take vary depending on location. I know that for Kaiser here in Virginia/Maryland, if you want hormones or surgery you have to see a therapist for however many appointments, then you can be referred to an endocrinologist. Usually takes a couple months. However, in Northern California, I hear that kaiser is less gate-keepery and leans closer to informed consent. I'm not 100% sure about Oregon, but it's a more liberal state so I don't think you'll have that much trouble in terms of how long it will take. I'm pretty sure though that they prefer you to be on hormones for a certain anount of time first. It makes it easier during the surgery. However, if you don't want to take hormones and only want the surgery they'll likely being able to work with you.

5. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do want to take hormones but I would really like to get the surgery done as soon as possible. I would feel a lot better if I could get it done before I go back to school so I'm hoping that they're flexible about it.

6. Vincentt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's worth a shot to ask, but if I'm not mistaken HRT will masculinize your chest and shrink that area a little so surgery will be easier for both you and the surgeon. It'll probably be wiser in the long run to wait, and maybe get top surgery done next summer (I'm assuming you don't want to have it over the school year), after you've been on T for some months. Do you have access to a binder?

7. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a binder but I can't wear it anymore because it hurts too much. I've read that working out for a couple of months before surgery works too but I'm not sure if that's true or not.