1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on getting away from a dead-end and abusive home

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by whitequeen, Aug 31, 2017.

1. whitequeen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, this is kinda long. I'm not sure where to start but I'll make sure everything's in order:I'm a transgender girl stuck in VERY rural Kentucky (my home is pretty unbelievably far away from a lot of places, even if you drive). I'm also stuck in the closet because, unsurprisingly I'm sure, my family is highly transphobic among many other awful things. A couple of years ago, I tried coming out to my mom. Initially it seemed like maybe she understood and was willing to help! Well... not even a day later she told me what I'm doing is evil and we got into this big argument about being gay and hell and stuff. I was only 17 at the time so, figuring I was in a very bad position to call them out on anything, I just backpedaled and claimed I was joking about the whole thing and to forget about it.

Of course, trans stuff was not the beginning of this kind of behavior. They've always been emotionally (and even physically) abusive to me and even my siblings, consistently refusing to let me go anywhere, getting into petty fights about nothing and acting passive aggressive towards me for minding my own business (this isn't an exaggeration either, I once got my dad hounding me because I didn't get involved in some stupid fight between him and one of my uncles). On top of a bunch of other awful stuff (transphobia, homophobia, racism, sexism, etc. etc.) It's a pretty typical mindset for people around here, honestly - and it's always made me uncomfortable and feel unsafe. Now moreso than ever... ><

You see, I've been on and off about being trans primarily because I was afraid of my family and what they would do, so between 2013 and now I've struggled with dysphoria and no real way to cope with it. I think it reached a point where I couldn't deal with it anymore in 2015, so I secretly bought some vaguely feminine and (at night) wore it and just looked at myself in the mirror. I know, I know - a bit silly, but it helped for a little bit... at least, until it just made me want to be that way all the time. That kinda sucked.

I had a thyroid problem flare up at the end of summer last year, and my parents have basically refused to take me to a doctor or get any sort of treatment for it minus taking me to a clinic who inevitably couldn't help me at all. All of this was adding on already existing stress, and I won't lie... from about mid-2016 to early 2017, I was probably at the lowest point in my life. I'm sure for a lot of people 2016 sucked (because of Trump getting elected, a lot of celebrity deaths, etc.), but for me it was personal torture. I felt so trapped and helpless... so I vowed to try and get my GED and get out of there.

Well, the GED costs something to the tune of 120 dollars here (30 bucks for each test), and while I could eventually save up and try to afford it (at the time this would have taken a couple of weeks), I had no way of getting there - my dad swore off me going to high school or getting my GED at all and both him and mom won't take me there or a doctor at all. Nobody else in my family could take me (my cousin can drive now, but he only gets off one day a week, and this day changes every other week) and some of them even said it was probably for the best. You see, my dad keeps pushing for me to fake a disability or illness and get on SSI. It's actually apparently a common thing to do around here - there used to be an attorney named Eric C. Conn who was kind of (in)famous for getting just about anybody on SSI.

Fast forward to early this year, when after a lot of struggling and failed attempts, my friend was able to get me out of there and stay with him for a while (primarily thanks to the help of some dear internet friends). I was able to begin transitioning and, in general, feel liberated and free. I can't lie, it was probably the happiest I've ever been in my life. But... unfortunately, that only lasted a handful of months because of the people who owned the place - basically, it was outside of our control. I was at risk of getting kicked out and being homeless all of a sudden, and it was a very overwhelming and horrible feeling. I was trying to collaborate with an LGBT center in the area (which unfortunately failed because of the state of my transition), and trying to find another place proved nearly impossible in such a short amount of time. I had no real choice but to detransition (which I convinced myself I could easily do at the time... like a complete idiot) and move back home. My family were pleading with me and saying things would be different now. I had high hopes, and even though I still wasn't sure if I should trust them, a lot of my friends said that I could at least give it a try.

So here I am, it's been about a month now and even though they were fairly friendly at first... it's been a downhill ride ever since. Absolutely nothing has changed at all, and because of my departure tensions have only gotten worse. My dad started pushing for the SSI thing even harder (even putting a lot of emphasis on the "faking a disability" part of it) and we actually got into a fight over it that devolved into almost getting physically violent between one of my brothers and I. My mom has resumed her passive aggressive and emotionally manipulative behavior, and she's already back to calling me a failure for not going to high school (which was a thing THEY convinced me to do at the time). There are basically no LGBT centers in this area at all, either (again, it's a very sparse place).

Worse, detransitioning didn't take very long at all to drain me. For about two weeks straight, I would have recurring dreams where I was a girl again and, although the details would be very different, I would always wake up with tears in my eyes and a gut feeling I couldn't get away from. I haven't had the drive to do pretty much anything... I used to draw art and sketch a lot, but I haven't drawn anything since I've come back, and I don't feel the desire to either. I can't even play video games or watch stuff anymore, the most I do is just listen to music anymore, and even that's slowly becoming something I don't particularly feel like doing. I've been told these are signs of depression, which worries me...

I'm being driven emotionally ill from all of this, I can't really talk to people that much or go out of my way to do anything. Everything's too spread out to just walk somewhere around here, with the nearest thing being a gas station (which would take almost an hour to walk to, mind you). I should have known not to trust my parents, but I was getting increasingly desperate and everything I talked to about it told me I could give them a chance this one time. Well... I did. All they did was revert back to how they used to be - except somehow worse.

I've been saving up very slowly (very inconsistently) thanks to some odd jobs for an uncle here and there. It's just in case I can find someone else I can room with, since I know that not a lot of people aren't around this area who can help, so I figured expanding to maybe flying to somewhere else could help. Cheaper flights to more northern states are actually really affordable within this budget, so it at least is possible (New York in particular was surprisingly cheap - not sure about every state though, I was only checking a few). Of course, I don't actually have anywhere to go anymore.

Again, I'm really sorry for this giant wall of text but if there is anywhere to look for someone who can take me in, or a way to escape "for good" (as in, I can't come back here ever again), I really need that right now. I hope I never came across a certain way in any of this, and I'm really sorry if I did to anyone - I'm just so hopeless right now and I really don't know what I can do anymore. I've looked into every possible way and pleaded with my parents to help me over the years. Unfortunately, they've not only refused to cooperate but have actively barred me from a lot of options. Please, if there's anywhere you could point me to or anyone who thinks they can help, I'm all ears. I just want to be a girl again... this kind of miserable existence isn't something I'd wish on anyone. It's like I don't really exist anymore, it's difficult to put to words. I'm sure a lot of you have dealt with it in the past, so I won't go into much detail.

TL;DR - I'm trans and I'm trapped in backwater Kentucky with no real way out of here (having gone over just about everything I could) who needs help figuring out how to get out and transition for good.

maybetrans likes this.
  2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so sorry you're going through all that! =( Sounds like your parents are real assholes. Manipulative. My mom's like that to a point just not as bad as to say it all outright like that. I wish i had something concrete to add, i don't live around there and i don't know the laws. I do wonder if you could get your parents in legal trouble for trying to make you fake an illness. For hurting you. For denying you the right to finish highschool or get a GED as a teenager. But that would also put you in danger. Someone who's more familiar with the area might be able to help more, i'm sorry.

3. whitequeen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the kind words! Unfortunately, I tried calling the police on my family a few years ago (after yet another physical altercation) and when state troopers arrived here, they questioned my family about something and... nothing. They told me to have a good night and be careful in the future, and that was it. My dad was unhinged the next day and went out of his way to threaten me, so I had to stand up for myself a lot around that time.

Again, thank you for wishing me well and empathizing with this! >< I'm so sorry I only reply very very early in the morning, but it's the only time when I have enough privacy to not risk getting caught doing any of this...

I really hope I can get out of here soon somehow. My emotional state is only getting worse - last night I had a very vivid dream about when I was transitioning again, and I was outright sobbing when I woke up.

4. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Run
    Closest place where you can find shelter and be accepted pretty quickly is Chicago.
    Save or pinch some cash, get a bus ticket north and RUN!
    Blood is not thicker than water and the people that you are living with see you as nothing more than a cash cow.

5. maybetrans

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    GIRL I just read this whole thing, it is 5 am where I live but I made an account on this website to let you know that I fucking love you and I'm so sorry you are suffering this. Please please make a GoFundMe or something, and I swear I will try to promote it with popular transgirls I know on other social media. I want you to be Okay.

#5 maybetrans, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  6. maybetrans

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    anything that can help you be free and safe. I don't want you to have to live like this. You don't deserve it at all. I don't know how to message or email you to share off-site info but if you can please do, there are ways the wider internet can help you.
    To get you through another day, or expedite your independence.

#6 maybetrans, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  7. 13Matthias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

I've gotta agree with JaimeGaye on this. I wouldn't usually recommend running but your situation is terrible and nobody should have to go through this. Maybe use running as a last resort but it's seems like it could be your only option. Any other friends you could stay with? Sorry ur in such a bad place, stay strong and stay true to yourself no matter what. It's your life.

8. whitequeen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    God, the support here is overwhelming, thank you so much... ;~;

By shelter, do you mean an LGBT shelter or generally just a place to crash? Either way, I've thought about just darting somewhere far away from here (but within reasonable distance of course, but still away from this state), but probably as a last resort if I can't figure a way out any other way.

I'd feel really genuinely dirty making a GoFundMe or some kind of donation page, I mean... even if I'm the kind of person who would really need that if you ask most people, I just wouldn't feel right doing that. Then again, maybe I don't have much a choice. I really don't know... I can't pretend like I know what I'm doing, I very very don't.

According to this place's policy you can't share much personal info at all, so I don't know if any off-site communication is possible... well, I mean, I guess there are some ways that wouldn't fit under that. Not sure, really. I'm pretty new here, admittedly x-x

I've asked pretty much all of my friends, the only one who was able to take me in was the one I was staying with for a little while already that I got kicked out of because of other people owning the place and not him - kind of how I got into this whole mess to begin with, in a way. I'm not sure where I could reach out to otherwise, but I really wish I knew.

Again, thank you all so much. I know I wasn't online yesterday at all, but I wasn't able to get any privacy and it can vary how much I can get per day. It really does mean a lot to me, and I hope I can find help soon thanks to you guys. The LGBT community really is amazing, I've been in awe by it ever since I found myself a part of it! ^-^;;

9. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Larger and more friendly LGBT cities have resources available to help you be it safe harbor shelters for the homeless, job placement and a host of other services.
    You can find the resources available in these cities online.
    As for go fund me,,, just remember, you get found out and your intentions become known it may not bode well for you.

10. rokara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like you really need to get the hell out of dodge ASAP and get as far away as you can. Big cities are your best bet. Places like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and Orlando all have fairly large LGBT communities and resources to help you out. If bigger cities make you uncomfortable, try for a smallish city like Madison, Wisconsin (college town and has LGBT resources that I wish I had known about before I moved to Florida). Make sure you do some research first and somehow get in contact with those who can help. As far as how to get out, flying would be a good bet, but remember you will have to get through security first. AmTrack or taking a bus are also easier and more anonymous options, but will take much longer to get to where you plan on going and could be cheaper than flying. If you are 18 and you take off, there's nothing your parents can do about it as you are a legal adult, unless they've got you in some sort of protective custody. If not, then the only thing they'd be able to do is file a missing persons report with your local police department.

Hopefully I've been able to help, even in some small way. Remember that we all are here and want to see you be happy and healthy! :slight_smile:

11. whitequeen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much, are these shelters (specifically ones in closer areas like Chicago or New York) able to help trans individuals who have yet to start HRT? That's kind of why I was turned away at the last LGBT center while I was still living with my friend. I suppose that's something I would have to research myself, but if you know anything about them I would love to know!

Big cities don't make me uncomfortable much at all really, so that's an okay destination. I'm 21 so age isn't an issue either! As for ways to get out, I was banking on flying because it seems like the quickest method. the nearest airports are the Lexington and Cincinnati airports, both are only 30 minutes apart from each other so either's an option (I think Cincinnati is generally cheaper, though). I'm not too concerned with remaining anonymous while I travel away from here, so I'm fine with flying!

You've been very, very helpful. Definitely no "small way" about it, all of you have! Again, I'm so grateful for everything that's been said in this thread! I'm still concerned about going to an LGBT center, but it's definitely an option at least.

12. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    whitequeen, the way it generally works is that you move to a state/city, live there for 90 days in a shelter or with someone, get a state ID. You can then apply for benefits like Medicare and food sustenance, some supportive states will also grant you a small cash allowance while you look for gainful employment.
    During this time you may or may not be granted pro bono therapy or counseling through state funded agencies or you can request it once you are part of the Medicare or employer generated health care system. HTH

13. Nimmer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I knew the US well enough to give some advice. Well, I'll give plenty of good luck wishes instead.

I was thinking too of something like GoFundMe but JaimeGaye is right, you never know who'll find the page, recognise you, and out you precisely to the people you want away from, so... Not sure if there's any similar system where you'd be guaranteed to be fully anonymous and nobody would know.

14. Gideon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Though I'm all for encouraging you to be who you need to be, first thing's first...you need to make yourself independent of your family and -safe- before you start following the path to transitioning. A full transition, if that's the direction you are headed, isn't an easy one to take by any means, but it will be ultimately easier if you can stand on your own and don't have to rely on anyone else's opinion or generosity.

A job seems to be the first step, though if you are willing to stay in shelters, getting out first may be possible. For me personally, I'd have to have a bit of cash in my pocket before I set out on that great adventure. And by a job, I don't mean a career or anything long lasting, even a stint at McD's for a few months could earn you some ready cash.

Once you have cash in hand, decide on your destination and go. Once you are established there are plenty of programs that offer funding for education, housing, etc. Look into them.

And once you're safe and standing on your own two feet, then you can finally shed that masculine skin that you're finding so uncomfortable and be whoever the hell you want to be. When you're on your own, your parents have no rights to tell you what to do, what to wear, who to date. Then you make your own decisions on who -you- want to be.

Good luck to you. It's a hard road ahead of you, but with a little determination and alot of effort, you can be anything, you can go anywhere. It's all up to you.

(By the way, Cincinnati isn't nearly as backward as the hills of Kentucky, and it sounds as if it's close. It might work for a first destination goal at the very least)

15. whitequeen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm still not sure if I'm okay with attempting to run to a shelter for a while. Unfortunately, it looks like it might be my only option unless I can figure something else out. I don't have any friends I could stay with at all, so I guess it's really all I can do... but I can't. Willingly throwing myself into a shelter when I technically already have a home right now? So many people would view such a move as poorly thought out, and I worry they might have a point...

The benefits and health care advice is very helpful though, for future thinking! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Even if there was some sort of anonymous donation website (which seems counter-intuitive), I wouldn't do it. I couldn't do it, the thought of possibly begging for financial support is just not something I can do to anyone. I'd be an investment to all of these people, and I don't think I could amount to much to justify it.

I've already started the path to transitioning, technically. Except I had to backpedal to come home without getting myself excised from my family for the time being - and believe me, I know that a transition is a difficult, long, and painful process. I know that all too well... >.<

A job isn't possible where I currently am. I'm only getting by financially through my uncle giving me some cash for doing odd jobs for him, which I'm hoping to use to purchase a plane ticket and have some money left over to help out if I can afford to. Of course, I don't presently have anywhere to go, but it's a "just in case I can" thing.

I've looked into a few programs along those lines, even around here. It's not easy to research if you qualify for such benefits, and the lines are very vague in regards to what and how you can proceed with getting help that way. Not to be blunt, but if it's difficult to discern whether or not I can thrive going that way, I'm not going to risk a lot of things to attempt it.

Thank you for the wishes! Unfortunately, if even restarting transitioning will be months from now in this theoretical plan, it won't help much to me. A major source (in most cases, the only source) of my depression and anxiety stem from having to detransition - just to clarify, I don't expect in the slightest to transition quickly or easily, but rather I feel like I need to restart soon and undo such a narrow-minded mistake or risk falling further into this emotional abyss. A bit overly dramatic to word it like that maybe, but I think my point is visible. Again, I hope none of you think I'm expecting to get away and flip a magic switch and everything will be okay - that's not my expectations in the slightest, and they never were. That said, I do have my priorities aligned a specific way, and I wish I could explain this better but it's 4AM, so I should get some sleep instead. I have to wake up pretty early tomorrow anywho, so I kind of wished I could have gone to bed earlier... unfortunately, this is one of the few times I can guarantee enough privacy to post here without my family catching sight of any of this.