1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fears of possible future divorce

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Searching1, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Crazy life

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Mj5963,
    Hi,
    I wonder if I could ask your advice?
    I just reading through the posts here and I found yours , I am finding myself in the same situation as you and your wife's. My husband of 20 plus years as just told me he is bi and has been with a few men recently. How did you guys get over this. I feel devastated that he couldn't tell me, i understand how hard it must be for him, I just can't get my head around the fact he cheated. He says he loves me etc. I am thinking if he truly loved me then surely he could have discussed it with me before he went off and cheated.

2. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Hi there , first off I am sorry you are dealing with this , I guess I can say I am living this and hope I can give you some thoughts on my journey and how my wife and I have come to a place where are in now .

So you know the brief history but my infidelity started 9 years ago when my same sex attraction. Really became more and more real. My big regret is not talking to my wife before acting but I cannot change it . How has my wife gotten over it ? Well she will never nor will I . I am very aware of the hurt I have caused her but I also want you to know the terrible guilt and shame I felt along the way plus the pain I was in because I never went into my marriage thinking I was gay or bi or whatever label . Obviously it is part of me and deep rooted and was suppressed for long time . But once my wife discovered my double life per say she did both of us a big favor because it was really killing me inside and inpacting all of us . So through lots of talking , therapy and realization that I cannot just forget nor turn off the fact I have same sex attraction . My wife simply is not real sexual and doesn't miss. Nor need it and I told her I will not live a celibate life . She calls out marriage our new normal and she knows I will
    Have sex with guys but she doesn't want to know about sort of wearing blinders . So we are great best friends and companions but no longer lovers , we love each other but are not in love . We ha e great kids , families and friends and Neither of us want to throw that away by divorcing . All this being said I am happy and she is happy and the state of limbo seems to be virtually gone . Will we stay married forever as a mixed Orientation marriage ? Not sure but I do know we are trying and will see how it goes . Hope this helps

3. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I got busy and didn't have a chance to respond to your post back when I first posted. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It's nice to have a different perspective of how things could work alternatively. The idea of ending our current family dynamic is so heartbreaking for me. Sadly but understandably my husband needs all or none of me. He wants to be loved wholey and only by me and is not okay with me experimenting within our marriage (unless in an official break- the step before divorcing). I wish so bad I could figure this out somehow and just make out with or date a woman for a couple weeks, but it isn't an option. It is so sad to think of ripping our family apart for my sexual desires towards women and lack of desire towards him, but I know it's important. I hope the best for you and your wife. That's great you are both out of the state of limbo and she is okay with keeping the family intact.

4. Crazy life

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Mj5963,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply,
    It is kind of you to answer my message.
    I guess for me I think if he loved me as he says he does. How could he cheat on me, he says how could he have told me. I would have supported him and talked with him to find some solution I'm sure. I feel bad for him that he's hurting. He says he feels disgusted with himself that he likes what he likes and that he shouldn't. I don't want for him to feel that way.
    I guess We will need to keep talking.
    Thanks again.

5. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I fully get it I had similar feelings about myself too and as I said my regret is not my sexuality I never chose it , it is part of me but never defines me , my regret is I didn't have the guts to tell her when it started to become real and instead I betrayed her and my own trust , that I must live with and will forever be remorseful. I respect that trust is lost but not forever . And through all of this my wife finally accepted me when she said I can't change who I am , and then to know we both want to stay together and as you say not rip our lives apart . And for me being open that my sexuality is very real and I have physical needs and she really tells me she doesn't , I can't live celibate , which is when she suggested I do what I need to do and she will just not need to know about it. So opening the marriage is a step and will it be the right now I don't know . There are many support groups I use HOW (husbands out to wives ) and MMOMW which means making mixed Orientation marriages work. There is lots of support there and this is more prevalent than anyone expects . I also realize divorce is an option for both of us and if so I have told my wife I will accept it if this cannot work. So we work hard and our new normal feels good for now and no pressure to attempt physical romance anymore that is over .

6. Crazy life

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Mj5963
    Is it poss to pm you please?
    I fully understand if u don't .

7. Farmgal

Farmgal Guest

I feel like you wrote exactly what is on my brain. It's comforting to know that it's not just me in this situation. I feel like I just need to be with a woman once to confirm what I think I'm feeling before I throw my marriage away. The financial aspect is a huge reason I am still married. I have 4 kids and a decent paying job but things would get very tight if I was divorced. I like being able to go get my kids a new pair of shoes or go buy myself an outfit and know money is in the bank. If I'm alone that won't be anymore. Plus I live in small town Wyoming so there aren't a whole lot of lesbians running around to date. I have a huge fear I won't find anyone else. I feel the same way about ripping my family apart for my desires. Though it is getting harder to have sex with my husband, I check out a lot and think about what I wish I was doing with a hot chick.

Searching1 likes this.