1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

constructing a "white" identity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ECMember, Sep 1, 2017.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I do not know if this is internal racism but I sometimes try to construct a white identity for myself.

For ethnicity I identify as Hispanic/Latino
    On race(well Hispanic isn't a "race") I label myself as White.

I tend to not speak with a Spanish accent, nor do I speak Spanish. I am familiar with Tex-Mex(Spanglish) from how my parents speak.

I have a bachelor's degree and I feel like I have a slight step above myself with some mobility. You know what I mean.

I see myself as Hispanic rather than Mexican American. My parents(my mom especially) does not like the use of the word "Mexican", she told one time, "Your Hispanic." Sometimes my dad would say on doing something the wrong way, "Your doing it the Mexican way."

I feel that my shift towards a White identity began when I moved from an urban middle school with mostly Mexican American students to a suburban high school with a good diverse crowd. I felt in some areas some inferiority. I didn't experience day-to-day racism just maybe some class divisions. I do recall some of the guys on the tennis team would try to talk some smack at me a few times and I would talk smack at them. These guys were middle class and white. These guys didn't use racial slurs at me, but I could label it as a microgression. An another example of a microagression was this guy named Jeremy that was on the Cross County team with me who disliked me for some odd reason. And yes Jeremy was white. He called me "retarded" a few times and hit with a towel and we got into some brief altercations in the locker room. He didn't call me any racial slurs but I felt like he was an asshole to me for no reason. Examples of these served as examples of microagressions against my "Mexican Identity."

In college from 2010-2017(undergrad and grad) forward the "White" identity was pushed forward. I labeled myself as "Spanish" or "Latin." Didn't speak Spanish. I try to dress "more White": button shirts and pants. I try not to rely on my parents as much and get a campus job. A job equates to money and power and with that I have some "whiteness." My peer groups in college had been mostly White with some Hispanic in the mix). Some of my closest acquinatances had been White for the most part.

The girls I had some crushes over had been White Hispanic or White. The guys I had some crushes over in college had been White.

I preferred to have a romantic/sexual relationship with a White girl when I first entered college. At the tailend of college from the past year and a half, it leaned towards either a White girl or guy.

Could my upbringing plus any of the microagressions I mentioned have any merit to the way I act?

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You seem quite obsessed with race. Race is one of the least important things about a person. Your probably friends with mostly white people because you live in a white majority country. There are too many marcoaggressions in life to worry about the microaggressions. There are lots of reasons why that guy might not have liked, it could have just been banter.

If I was you I would not worry about the race of people you like or dress like.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." MLK

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If he wants to identify as white he can identify as white.

4. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know a gay black man who often tells people he was born a poor white child and that is the root cause of all of his problems :grin:

#4 JaimeGaye, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  5. Tallen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your story reminds me of so many gay people who hate them self and want to be straight. Many gay's marry the opposite sex looking for the cure, or turn to religion groups to help convert them, or adopt straight practices all through their lives yet they remain gay. Overwhelming evidence reveals that a gay nature can not be changed just as ones ones ethnic origins cant be erased or changed, we are who we are.

I believe your desire to be white might stem from a disillusionment that whites have better lives than other ethnic groups but this is not so. There is an old saying "Life is what you make it" I myself made a lot of mistakes in my younger life that have a direct impact on my life today, I failed in school, worked low paying jobs with out retirement benefits, it is a struggle to look ahead to see now and wonder how I will make it in my elder years. My ethnic make up had no baring on my present life condition, it was my poor choices in life..... and I am white.

Embrace who you are, be proud of your ethnic makeup, don't fall into some sort of false belief that life would be better if you were white....life will be what you make it based on your choices in life, not your ethnic make up. Do what you can right now before its to late to start a course in life to obtain education and life skills that will provide financial stability and forget the nonsense of being white, your a beautiful part of the human "Rainbow" be proud of who you are.

6. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What does it mean to identify as white? You either have white skin or you don't.

7. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's more complicated than that, hence "white passing" minorities

9. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't care what the law says or said. I don't consider myself white, even if the average Mexican is something like 55-65% European. A lot of recent immigrants choose "white" on paper, even if they're mostly or completely indigenous, compared to the early settlers in California, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc.

Yeah, some might label me as Hispanic or Latin, even if I don't relate to them, myself. I see Spaniards and Portuguese as colonists, and Rome, well, they gave a lot of western civilization, but I don't see myself as being connected to directly.

A lot of Mexican-Americans are also desperate for white acceptance, and obsessed with European features. I'm not, but that could be due to growing up around those like me, or stories of racism passed down from older family members who know better.

11. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a "white-passing" Mexican. I'm full Mexican by heritage; my dad was born in Mexico, my mom is third generation American and doesn't even speak Spanish, but her heritage is all Mexican. Yet few would have any idea of my heritage without looking into my family history (even my last name could simply be European Spanish rather than Mexican). My skin is light, indistinguishable from that of my "white" friends, and it does not give away my ancestry.

Furthermore, I was raised in a fairly white area, my parents spoke only English to me, and aside from the excellent ethnic cooking and the occasional visits to Mexico to see extended family, I was for all intents and purposes "white". I suppose the difference here is that I have no shame in and have made no attempt to obscure my Mexican identity. I will proudly discuss it when the topic arises and on various applications (be they education, medical, or work-related) will list my ethnicity as Hispanic/Latino. If I were going by appearance alone, then "white" would be the only option. However, as you note, ethnicity and race can be two separate identities.

Although I am not too well-versed in identity politics jargon (after all these years I'm still not quite clear on what a "microaggression" is), I'm sure there were negative associations of "Mexican" in your past that have shaped your somewhat negative attitude toward it today. I don't know that this is necessarily an issue. Your identity is yours to forge, how much of your background you choose to embrace is your own decision; the fact that you are asking about it tells me that you do not see all of this as without issue, but it's not really for us to tell you how to live. I can only give my own example.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry about your negative, marginalizing experiences. I think it's important to be authentic in who we are, because we all* have value in and of ourselves, and other people need to see us so that their negative perceptions can be challenged. It's difficult, but I think when we're ready to take on that work (and it is emotional labor), we make the world a safer place for those around us who experience similar marginalization.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rachel dolezal identifys as black.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, and she's wrong.

15. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, I would recommend in taking pride in your heritage. Be proud that you are Hispanic. After that, you can be perceived however you want. If you want people to look at you as white, black, purple, or polka dot then go for it. You shouldn't have any serious problems identifying as whatever race you want, unless you have to deal with those stupidass nazi wannabes. The white pride movement is gaining strength, but a lot of them are completely intolerant of anyone not 100% European white. I'm not accepted in the white community because I have a bit of Cherokee in me. So there fore, I'm "not white." White people suck, so I don't fully grasp why you would want to identify as white, but to each their own.

16. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Could up my bringing and plus the specter of white supremacy influence me in crafting some sort of white idenity. I mean there has to be something in my past or some hidden memory I haven't looked further on, in which I leaned towards "whiteness."

17. univerz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    dude, same. okay so i'm mixed right, and when i was little i had like light brown tan skin and blondish light brown hair and very dark eyes and i got bullied like heck. so i started lying and saying i was white and not going outside and eventually losing all my color. worst decision ever. i love being mixed and i love both sides of me and i hate the fact that i use to hate my brown side and try and be white passing

18. univerz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    trust me embracing ur culture is the best

19. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @univerz

I know every ethnicity has a color attached to it, and I've heard people mention brown people, but who specifically is it that is classified as brown? I've never been able to find anyone that actually knows.

This is just sheer curiosity.

20. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have read this post a number of times since it first appeared on the board and.... I don't get it.

I keep trying.

My personal heritage is Korean and French. Both of my parents are first generation immigrants. I appear Korean in my facial features, et al.

And.... I still don't get it.

#20 Twist, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017