1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my parents...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Unicornia, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Unicornia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, so I'm a mother of two, in my thirties and my parents still don't know I like girls. I've always liked girls. I don't think I was ever really attracted to the father of my children and that's what led to the demise of our relationship, five years ago. Since then, I've had a few short, usually casual relationships so I've never had to actually tell my parents anything. However, I'm seeing a girl right now who I can see a relationship with and that will mean telling my parents. At this point I want to tell them, I want them to know I'm happy. My dad in particular, is very 'set in his ways' and I have always felt somewhat like a bit of a disappointment to him. My mum, I think will be fine. I'm not sure whether they know or not really but either way, I guess any advice would be very much appreciated. It's strange 'coming out' at this point, and especially strange that I feel so nervous about it when really, I shouldn't be, it's just who I am. Wish me luck!

dreamingfreely, mattblack and Adray like this.
  2. Really

I'm not sure I have any advice but I will definitely wish you good luck!

Unicornia likes this.
  3. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out as bi at age 48. I am married, happily, to an opposite-sex spouse, and have been happy with her for 16 years. So that coming out took a lot of explaining, LOL.

When I came out to my parents, I wasn't sure what to expect, but like you, I thought my mom would handle it better. So I called her (we live 800 miles apart) and came out to her on the phone. She and my dad are in their early 70's. She was wonderful. She asked if it would be okay if she told Dad for me, so we went with that plan. She called me back the next day and said that my dad was not handling it well.

That was a year ago. I've seen them several times since, and everything seems like normal. We just don't talk about the subject, we talk about kids, and sports teams, and fishing, and such. But it's still there.

If I had it to do over again, I'd do it the same.

I don't know if that helps, but that was my experience. Hugs and good luck wishes to you!

mattblack likes this.
  4. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you separated from your husband then?
    Were these "short casual relationships" exclusively lesbian in nature or was there some male female hook ups as well?
    Coming out is an important satisfying revelation but you may want to be absolutely certain with what you are coming out as and be able to explain yourself completely when you do.
    "Gosh mom and dad, hubby was a jerk so I dumped him and now I'm seeing Frieda but if this doesn't fly I may hook up with Mark later next week,,,"
    You see what I'm getting at?