1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Tell if Someone is Gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Pixo, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Pixo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right category but it has to do with someone's sexual orientation so I think I'm in the clear. Anyways, I was just wondering how my fellow male LGBT members can tell if someone else is gay. I'm in high school still so many people are not out yet (including me) but there is someone who I kind of like but I'm not sure if he's straight or not.

Thanks,
    Pixo

2. Dylan1357

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly you can't tell, do people come up to you and say I can tell your gay. If I sound like dick I'm not trying to be. :hand_splayed:

azzi likes this.
  3. Dylan1357

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But there is that one person everyone knows, that acts "gay" if you know what I mean like they talk really femanine and stuff but maybe that only in the UK.

4. Pixo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea I know those people but I think there's still a large group of gay males that don't speak with the "gay lisp".

Yea I kind of agree but it does seem like guys that are very expressive and happy and use lots of emojis and that sort of thing turn out to be gay, that's just my thoughts.

Dylan1357 likes this.
  5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Pixo,

Unfortunately for those of us in the LGBTQ community, things aren't that crystal-clear. We generally consider it rude and uncouth to simply "ask" about someone's sexuality. Mainly because unless we are truly ready and prepared (physically and emotionally) to Come Out, some who"'asks" could inadvertently OUT us. That's a no-go situation.

So how do you 'KNOW' if someone that you are crushing on might return your feelings of romantic/sexual attraction? That is much harder and a much more delicate/sensitive situation for same-sex attractions than for heterosexual attractions. Thus, generally, we approach it that much more delicately. Perhaps begin by inquiring into his opinions on LGBTQ issues or people. Like bringing up these issues or people in casual conversation. ("Hey, did you see the "X" story about gay marriage online today? What do you think about that?) OR (What is your viewpoint on 'certain' LGBTQ issues/people?)

JaimeGaye likes this.
  6. Ap12345

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    if i'm completely honest, you really can't. obviously stereotypes exist for a reason, but there are LOTS of straight people who act stereotypically gay. the only way you know is if they tell you. if you're living in a pro lgbt area, which you are, most will just admit it themselves. i mean there are some articles that tell you how to know if someone likes you, but they're pretty inaccurate in my opinion (i'm looking at you wikihow). if you're in a backwards high school where being gay isn't considered decent, try to stick it out for those 3 more years.

oh and here's a link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Oregon

7. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In Quantumreality's post is the best advice so far.
    It's a bit rude to outright ask someone if they are gay unless they project their orientation in an outward fashion.
    "Straight Acting" means just that and gay people who do so are trying to keep their sexual preferences hidden from the public eye.

A good way to open a dialog with someone you hope may be sexually oriented in your direction is to bring up LGBT topics and ask their opinions on them.
    A positive response will not automatically guarantee the respondent is gay, they mat be a straight who harbors no ill will towards gay people but often straight allies will open their response with 'well, I'm straight but,,,'

Consequently, a gay straight acting individual may not be comfortable disclosing their identity, sometimes even to themselves, and may offer a very negative or defensive opinion to the question you pose to them as a fear response to a potential perceived attempt at outing them. 'F*** that gay S***!' or 'Nope No, I don't offer opinions on that stuff!' may be responses you will receive and you can try to continue the dialog by responding with positive reinforcement such as 'Hey, I'm not asking if you are gay, I was just curious as to your opinion.'
    This can often become a dance and if you do not feel comfortable taking the lead step best to stop there as pressing on may turn to hostile defensive posturing.

Straight people, especially those hostile to homosexuals, will generally respond in a fashion that is both negative AND hostile, 'WHAT? No! F*** them queers! Why are you asking me this? Are you a f***ing faggot or something?!'

If there is anything that actually works as Gaydar it is open communication, or as Mick Jagger put it in Sympathy For The Devil, "Use ALL your well learned politics, or I'll lay your soul to waste!" HTH

Pole star likes this.
  8. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm curious as to EXACTLY what stereotypes exist and what are those obvious reasons?