1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy today, dreading it.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Harvey Noises, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Harvey Noises

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Today is my first day in therapy. I'm going to see her about gender identity and I'm really nervous. I'm leaving in 3 minutes actually. I've never been to therapy before and I've only been to a school counseler once in relation to my s/o.
    Any advice for being able to open up to her or anything?

2. Harvey Noises

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Update: it's really busy here and it's a small room, I know people are here for their own reasons, but I feel looked at. Paranoia stuff I guess

3. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe those people feel looked at too xD You're all in the same boat; you about gender, they about gender OR something else.
    She's trained in listening about delicate issues.

4. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's okay, just don't pay them any mind. I know that feeling though and know it's very annoying, I just ignore them or, if possible, I move out of their field of vision. Or just moving to a different seat might give them a hint.

But about the therapy, the first few sessions are just getting to know each other, and it sounds like it's too late, but have a list of questions and ask about their approaches, ask if they have other lgbt clients or gender questioning people. And have in the back of ypur mind you can always find someone new (hopefully). I used to be desperate for help and at their disposal and that would hurt alot more if they'd have an attitude toward gays or not know how to respond to assault victims. I'm not saying lie or don't be open and nontrusting with them, but don't give uour mind and soul to them right away until you know their personality and approaches to things. If that makes sense. Tell them why you're there and what you want from a therapist and hope to accomplish and do be honest, but I just mean don't freely give them your whole mind and soul and unwavering trust. Good luck, and I do hope she is a good match and can help and be supportive!

Harvey Noises likes this.
  5. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If your first session went well consider getting a shirt with a logo that reads Don't Panic!
    I'm just Crazy.
    That shirt will make you feel better about yourself, trust me.
    Your nervousness is to be expected, you are about to open up and be honest to a stranger but worry not. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

6. Harvey Noises

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My first session went well. I, myself, am not very good at communicating about myself. She seemed very open and she did it a way to make myself comfortable and not put on the spot. We did it Q/A and she asked about my home life and relationships.
    It went well. I like her.

BradThePug and Crisalide like this.