1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you first find out about your sexuality ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SomeAverageBoy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For starters, I think that deep down it's was something that I knew, even at a young age, I just didn't have the ability or a good enough reason to put it into actual words. I've questioned numerous times throughout my life. The first time, at least that I can recall, was in 1st grade when I silently asked myself if I could be a 'lesbian'. I was in a Catholic school at the time and I had developed a crush on a classmate's mom.

2. chaoticheart

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I found out when I was 17 and felt sexual attraction to a female friend of mine. It was the first time I was attracted to a girl. I noticed that feeling when I was 16 1/2 and tried to push it away. At 17, I couldn't ignore it any longer. I was into boys only for the first 16 years of my life. So, I thought I was straight until I was 16. Today, I identify as homoflexible or lesbian leaning bisexual.

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    17 had a crush on a girl, then another, and they got together and I almost died of emotion lol. There were some signs when I was 15 and by the time I was 16, I was totally exploring it online but was somehow oblivious to the idea it actually meant anything, but thinking back before 15 I'd really be grasping at straws, which is the main reason I identify as bi instead of gay even tho I've been feeling pretty gay since 17... because thinking I liked boys for 17 years could not have all been fake as far as I'm concerned. I'll hold out till I have a bit of relationship expereince to make a final judgement on that one.

4. Samthing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Figured out I was bi about a year ago. I was in a long term relationship with a guy and ended up cheating on him with a girl at a party when I was drunk. I didn't dare tell him. He dumped me two months later anyway.
    Then I met this girl at college and fancied her. Ended up dating her but I still got crushes on guys too.

When I really accepted that I was bi was when I started dating this boy who came out to me as trans mtf and I was like yeah I guess I'm bi

5. Blackrainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember going ice-skating with a female friend when we were thirteen or so, accidentally colliding with her from behind and having some very weird feelings about it, that I couldn't explain at the time. There were more incidents like that in the next couple of years, and then, when I was about fifteen/sixteen I started watching Glee. Whilst a terribly written show after season 1, the lack of obscurity in its gay/bisexual characters and especially the whole Brittana storyline honestly helped me to realise that a lot of the upset and confused feelings I had about the way I related to other girls weren't just a case of envy and insecurity. I did identify as bisexual rather than gay until I was twenty, but either way I'd made my peace with liking girls.

6. yammin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The first time I recall my gayness was when I was watching a one direction music video and I paused to look at those guys abs. I never thought much of it at the time though.

7. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I first demonstrated same-sex tendencies around the age of 4 or 5 when I developed a HUGE crush on Jonathan Brandis in the show seaQuest DSV.

Obviously, at 4/5 years old, I had no idea what it meant although my father was VERY clear that interest was wrong and made it his life's work to berate me at any opportunity to try and "change my mind". Because of this, it seems to me that I always knew.

8. Loves books

It was kind of an epiphany. I was crushing on some girl and realising it was a crush and then thinking I was actually gay. I had been wondering because I had zero interest in guys and I didn't realise my crushes on girls were crushes until the huge crush I had. I hadn't really thought too much about my sexual orientation because I didnt care either way. And once I realised my crushes for what they were I remembered my first crush when I was about 7. And the various ones since. I was around 14 years old when I figured it out.

9. Tallen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the time I did not realize I was gay but remembering back, I was attracted to male tv stars instead of female stars, and I was in fell in love with the Beatles especially George. Later on I started looking at other guys in the bathroom at school, and around bout 12 years old I asked my mom if it was ok to like boys instead of girls. Early teens I was playing doctor with other boys and at 17 I went to my first gay bar and wound up going home with one of the bartenders, the rest is history

10. Skylar9901

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My first crush, on a girl in pre-k confused me. I knew my aunt lived with her female partner (they are now happily married) but, I didn't realize it was the samr type of adult relationship mama and daddy had. I didn't know they were lesbians, I thought they were roomates til I was about ten. My first crush on a guy was later, in kindergarten. We were adorable (he liked me back) and I was the only girl invited to his birthday party. I was twelveish when I can out to my self as bisexual but I didn't know the word and I thought I was the only one. A year ago, I had my first crush on a trans* person (who is now my best friend). At which time, I finally had words for my gender identity and dysphoria. This friend saved my life. I learned the word pansexual about 4ish months ago.

11. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had signs from an early age but either dismissed them as something else or actively denied them. What made me question, eventually, was a sexual dream I had about a female aquaitance, when I was 17.

#31 Dryad, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
  12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I should have known I was gay sooner. I remember being in the locker room at a health club with a couple cousins when I was 12 and I will never forget being absolutely mesmerized by seeing a boy my own age naked in the shower. I denied the feelings I was having until I was 14 and I realized I couldn't run from it anymore.

13. Shayne16

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I knew I was gay at age 11 when peeking at other boys in the bathroom and feeling aroused... Sorry, you asked...

14. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Beginning of freshman year of High School (9th grade) but didn't accept it until the end of junior year (11th grade).

#34 kibou97, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  15. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SomeAverageBoy....By the time I was about 10 years old I started to like looking at boys much more than girls. It wasn't sexual in any way, but I knew that I was a lot more interested in boys. By the age of 14 I knew what it was and was terrified. At 15 I knew that I wanted to be a teacher and have a family. I also knew, that at that time here in the U.S. (1965), you could not do either of those things and be homosexual...we didn't call it gay then. So I choose to be straight, thinking that it was a choice I could make. It turned out that I did become a teacher and had a family, but for many years I fought depression, guilt and shame over my sexuality. Finally at 64 years old I reached a crisis and came out here on emptyclosets. The last 2 1/2 years have a real ride. No more shame, no more guilt, no more depression. I am now ME! .....David (sorry it was so long)

16. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I knew young 5 or 6 that I was "different".....I felt and thought boys and girls were attractive. My first experiences were same sex followed by opposite. I've only shared sexuality with someone I feel close to same or opposite

17. SheaMikoto

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was strange for me, cause I always felt a certain way about specific guys for my entire life, but I always thought that that meant that I just liked them as a person or a friend, it wasn't until a little over a year ago (I was 13/14) that I realized I actually like guys (my friends pointed out that whenever i had a conversation to one of our school male athletes that I'd always blush super hard *~*), which sucks cause my school is like super homophobic lol. And then as far as finding out I was Androgynous, I knew I never really liked being called he/him cause it felt too masculine for the kind of person I am, and I jokingly looked up a list of 'Tumblr Genders', and found Androgyne and I was like "oh, that's literally 100 percent me!". So yea, hope this made sense lmao