1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling parents about name change

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Zoe Izumi, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am currently unsure how to tell my parents about getting my name changed. I will be starting the process this Thursday, and I know my brother will not like that I'm doing it. I don't expect my parents to use my new name right away, I just want them to at least try to use the right pronouns.

My brother is the only big problem I see because of him acting very transphobic.

2. BiDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! I will try to help you.

First of all, if your brother doesn't respect who you are, it doesn't matter. People who don't respect the LGBT+ community should learn to accept us! People are people, after all.

On telling your parents about your name change request, try to casually bring up the topic. "Remind" them of your gender, and tell them to please use the pronouns you want, and tell them you're getting your name changed. As you said, it might take them (and others!)a little while to call you by your new name, and it will be the same for pronouns. Just be patient. If they call you by the wrong name/pronoun just politely correct them.

I hope I've helped you!
    -BiDragon

3. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm probably going to wait til i get a chance to talk over my options with my therapist, that will be next week Thursday. I plan to start my name change process, steps 1-5, on this Thursday.