1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single life in 2017

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OED27x, Aug 19, 2017.

1. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So? I don't even know what to make of this, but I'll post my thoughts here. I started messaging this woman a few days ago. Yesterday, we actually texted none stop from 2 pm - 2 am. That's through work, dinner, kids to bed, etc. it's just so bizarre bc she is telling me about her relationship issues and I'm telling her about mine. I think things were flirtatious towards the evening. We don't even know each other! Is this how dating starts in 2017? The last time I was single was 2000 and people just met through bars and friends.

I'll keep y'all posted. It's like social research.

bright skies, idsm, RJay and 2 others like this.
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha yes I think that's how it works although I haven't been single since 2009.

Orchidea123 and OED27x like this.
  3. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I started messaging with several women on a dating site and it was exciting at first but gradually less so. It started to feel like a chore writing back, like investing a lot of energy and not really getting to know them, except some facts about them but not really the person. I also met my husband online first and by the time we met in person I was already in love with his mind and willing to put up with a lot about him I didn't like in person. I guess I'm worried I could make the same mistake, thinking I know someone when I don't. Actually worrying about it either way - what if the underwhelming person in writing would be great in person? So, I don't know if that's how it goes nowadays but it does feel a bit odd, writing things to complete strangers that I might not say in person.

4. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad someone else shares my worries about online dating. On the otherhand everybody has to start somewhere...

5. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ditto - not single since 2001 - and never good at the dating game really, so totally out of my depth now!

It has been a similar experience for me - not sure whether this is due to the phenomenon of online dating, or in my case whether it is because we are two middle aged women in a similar life position who are trying to own our sexuality and therefore have things in common. It's only been 3 weeks and we've only met once because of our respective commitments, but she's already considering that we are an item - I'm finding it intoxicating making the connection with her, but I'm worried we're both misjudging the situation and each other's character - I'm trying not to be unrealistic in my hopes (only just coming to terms with my unrequited love for another) and simply want us to enjoy our second date and start to get to know her better IN PERSON!!! Do keep us all posted OED27x....I hope we can both navigate our way successfully...I want things to work well...but it feels scary, daunting and surreal, especially given our respective life situations!!!

#5 Peterpangirl, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Orchidea123, OED27x and Moonsparkle like this.
  6. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Being a 19 year old and therefore having been very much all internet and text since the age of about 11 (I think the beginning of smartphones is when it started to become truly unavoidable), I find the whole of it almost dystopically removed and horribly depressing. I like the internet in some ways but I do not feel like I am interacting with people when I am texting them yet nobody seems to even want to go as far as making phone calls these days. Phone calls are too much effort for them. Moving their actual tongue is too much human interaction. Sometimes I at least want to hear people's voices. Sometimes I consider online dating since it is now a thing people actually do unironically, but I cant even begin to understand how I would choose someone to date in such a way. I wish people would just get a grip.

ShortButSweet and RJay like this.
  7. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So the MAN that is interested in me asked me to go for a hike today. We had a great time, great conversation. We talked about my feelings about women and how we need to remain friends. But then we got drinks and had dinner. I have him a quick peck at the end of the evening? Why can't I find a woman to do that with?
    The woman I've been texting has been trying to end things with her fling so she's incommunicative.
    My catalyst is just not interested so I've moved on.
    My ex is not interested and neither am I, so....

8. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I know, isn't it ironing... Since I've discovered I'd like to be with a woman I've met two great men. Don't know if they are interested in me that way but I haven't felt so good with anybody for a long time.

Orchidea123 likes this.
  9. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    After thinking more about it, I am really kind of in a funk about my great day with the guy because I really, really just want to be his friend. And, I messed it all up by getting intimate with him a couple weeks ago. I have ended my marriage, I realized I'm gay, and I needed some comfort -and I made a mistake there. I've told him im not straight, we need to focus on being friends, etc. And damn it!! I'm just kind of irritated because yes, we get along, we have fun, we like to hike and drink beer, and we can talk for hours, but I have worked so so so hard accepting my sexuality and now I have to reeastablish that boundary, I don't know what to tell him other than I am just as gay as the day is long. And I need my space to figure this out. I JUST got out of a LTR and I don't want to be with a man! And it's so much more than just telling a guy you are not interested if you are straight. There are emotions and internalized shame and the psychological pull to step back into that heteronormative role. Straight people do not get it!! And I just need my space damn it!

And last night, embarrassingly in my funk of not wanting to be with this man but also trying to resist that heteronormative pull, I texted the woman I met online and asked her to send me a pic. She literally wrote back, of what? Ugh, I am just so so lame. I texted her today and told her I was sorry. I was embarrassed. She told me not to be. It was ok.

Jesus, all of this is just too much sometimes.

Orchidea123 likes this.
  10. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just took a walk to clear my head and started thinking about why I'm so upset. Why I want attention from men and what I like about men. And why it upsets me to think about entering into another straight relationship. It makes me feel so uncomfortable, trapped and controlled. Yet, at the same time I'm guilty of sending off mixed signals. I guess old habits are hard to break.
    For as long as I remember I have liked being around guys. I never had a dad around and it filled that void and I can relate to the things men like: I love all sports, I like fishing, etc. Guys generally like me bc I'm fun to hang around, I am fun to be with, plus they get the added bonus of me being a woman. Maybe I have mistaken wanting to be friends with guys for wanting to actually BE with them.
    I've identified as bi for as long as I can remember. Even when I was married I just secretly knew. I never really came out as bi until a couple years ago. But, really, more and more, I think I'm gay. I think maybe a small percentage straight, but, yeah, I'm pretty gay. It's just a feeling I can't get away from and I don't know why I am afraid to take that full step. I'm afraid I'm wrong? I'm afraid it's harder to find a woman than a man? It's not what I'm used to? I don't fear being out once I'm in a relationship with a woman. In fact I'm looking forward to that. So, I'm not sure why I can't take that mental step.

RJay likes this.
  11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I, not sure I have any magic advice but I wanted to send you a hug and to say don't be too hard on yourself, these things are tough and you are right old habits are hard to break. Coming out is scary, especially if we don't have a girlfriend on our arm to at least in our heads validate our gayness. It's perfectly natural to fear the unknown and seek comfort in what has been your normal, even if you weren't exactly over the moon with the old normal. I think the thought of coming out with a girlfriend feels easier because you can say to someone hey I'm gay and I'd like you to meet (insert name here), my girlfriend. In makes us feel more secure because we feel that nobody can say, are you sure, how do you know? I also think coming out makes us feel vulnerable and when we feel vulnerable we seek comfort and security which is often found in old places and in companionship with others. That full step is always the hardest to take because it feels like a leap of faith into the unknown, like jumping out of a plane unsure as to whether you packed the parachute or not.
    Girls are probably harder to find than guys because statistically there are less gay/bi girls than straight men and also they are scarier because we feel so much more and that comes with increase risk.

You will get there, just keep taking little steps in the right direction.

12. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I is at all comforting I've tried at least 6 times to have sex with my husband since we both admitted I was gay. I keep trying and it keeps ending up with the same emotionally loaded result. He appreciates me trying but seems as let down as me when it's all done.

OED27x and RJay like this.
  13. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, it occurred to me as I was taking a shower, relaxing for the evening (I've done a lot of thinking today between the long walk and the shower :slight_smile:) that I married my husband suspecting that HE was gay. I really looked at that and thought, why?? Why would I do that? I had a lot of reasons for marrying my husband but, if I'm honest, being in that relationship where he had his own sexual issues and intimacy was an issue between us allowed me to AVOID having to really look at my own self. By focusing on his issues, I could push the fact that I am gay way way in the back of my mind. Interesting, huh?

silverhalo and Mabel like this.
  14. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's interesting because I've thought a lot about why I chose the men I did in the past. All of them had some feminine qualities. I even had asked my husband years before things unearthed for me if he was gay, several times (not that I think feminine qualities make a man gay, that would be more my own way of finding things attractive in men, me thinking he was gay had to do with other things). I think it's only one part of what made it safe to marry him for me?
    The other thought that surfaces for me along these lines is I've always been very submissive in my relationships with men. Only one of them ever abused this characteristic in me, the rest all had good hearts. I just found it odd because I've always been a dig your heels in kinda person and have always have had very liberal and strong core beliefs. Yet I would always follow their lead which was contradictory to those beliefs. Just as I was always outspoken about GLBTQ rights even in the face of my conservative surroundings, I never entertained the notion for myself even though all the signs were there. So much of this I think was just subconsciously sliding into the traditional life that was always modeled for me.
    Yes though, my thoughts that my husband may be gay were never threatening to me, if anything comforting and I just never thought to ask why. I'm sure it being a distraction from my own issues had a lot to do with it.

Farmgal, OED27x and ShortButSweet like this.
  15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love moments of clarity like this, when you are like oh that's why I did it, this all makes sense now.

Orchidea123 likes this.
  16. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For what it's worth, my ex is a raging homophobe, but everyone who meets him thinks he is gay. ???

Orchidea123 and dreamingfreely like this.
  17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't that something they say about the biggest homophobes being those stuck furthest back on the closet!

Orchidea123 likes this.
  18. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes it is. And going back over our relationship, it really makes sense that we were both gay all along. What a catastrophe.

Orchidea123 likes this.
  19. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly. I read somewhere once that there is a theory that when you marry someone who is gay you subconsciously know they are gay and it relates to your own issues - whether those issues are about identity, sexuality or whatever. Just a theory but it does affect the dynamic of the relationship.

RJay likes this.
  20. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The relationship itself may have been a catastrophe but you have your son and it has turned you into the RJay you are today and I along with everyone else here thinks that's a good thing :slight_smile: