1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend and I had sex and it was really awkward

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Benway, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So this guy I know from a store I go to and I have been hanging out for about a month and last night he asked me if I wanted to make out with him, and one thing lead to another and before I knew it we were in bed, naked. We both agreed it felt really rushed and awkward... I feel terrible about it, today. He texted me about an hour ago some poem he read to me yesterday and I asked him what he was doing today and he didn't know. But I just feel really awkward about it all and there's this lingering anxiety hanging over me.

Anyway, I texted me ex boyfriend (who I'm still good friends with) and he said I shouldn't feel awkward, that things sometimes just get out of hand and that I should see this as an opportunity to build a better relationship with the guy. He also said my mindset about all of this is all wrong and I'm reading too deep into it, but God, there's a pit in my stomach and I feel like crap over this whole thing. I have an appointment with my therapist on Monday morning, hopefully she'll be able to put things in perspective for me...

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like this was mutual, so why do you think it was awkward? Awkwardness and anxiety usually come from doing something unwillingly. Do you want to continue, or do you want to go back to being platonic friends?

Also, you should ask yourself how you got into that situation. If you only knew him from a store and then started hanging out for a month, that sounds like you have had mutual interest for some time.

#2 resu, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Benway and Twist like this.
  3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you admitted to each other that it was awkward, you have done the right thing. And should be complimented on talking things out. "It" is awkward way more than people realize. (We imagine everyone is doing "it" better.) Yes, your therapist can help.

Benway likes this.
  4. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the input, you guys have basically backed up the assessment my ex boyfriend made of the situation. Still, I feel like a jerk because I really like him and I don't want him to feel awkward when he's with me, especially not in bed. We both kind of believe sex should be sacred and we both violated that, last night with sloppy, impromptu sex. He came, but I didn't, I didn't want to, I wanted it to e about him, I wanted to make him happy.

Tomorrow's his birthday, maybe I'll call him and say I'm sorry, I'm one of those people who never stops apologizing for stuff. Needless to say, I'm rattled, and have broken out my favorite vice: wine, early. But I appreciate the input a lot, you guys. One more thing, I'm almost 30 and he turns 22, tomorrow, I felt like a dirty old man, but my ex boyfriend told me age is just a number but I'm not sure I believe that.

5. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do not apologize. Just don't. It won't make you feel better.

Benway likes this.
  6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes hormones just get the better of you. It sounds like both of you were ready to make something happen, and it was mutual on both parts... so I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with what happened.

The awkwardness that happens after sex with someone you're friends with is actually pretty normal, and is one of the reasons why people generally suggest thinking very carefully before taking a friendship that's been in place for a while into a sexual place, simply because it often does make things awkward.

But strong friendships get past that... and it sounds, from what you've described, like neither of you are really upset about it. Perhaps when it feels right you just discuss it, and directly talk about the awkwardness, and I think you'll find that this will really help in clearing the air.

Benway and Myclosetisfull like this.
  7. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Could it be possible your hook up was awkward because you are still talking to your ex boyfriend and asking his advice on your hook ups?

8. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This wasn't really a hookup, it was a spur of the moment kind of thing, and, like Chip said, I think the hormones just got the better of us. I can't honestly call it a hookup because I didn't meet this guy on an app or at a bar and I didn't even know he was gay until a couple weeks ago.

As far as my ex boyfriend goes, I text him all the time, he and I split amicably last year and agreed to stay good friends. Is there something wrong with asking someone I love(d) advice on what just happened with someone I might end up loving?

#8 Benway, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    JaimeGaye likes this.
  9. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No harm no foul to me on your staying in contact just trying to see if that was part of the issue.
    I do beg to differ on your rather narrow definition of a hook up as my generation had no "apps" and way too few bars to connect in and most times sex was with someone you know is gay and discrete or someone you knew nothing about in seedy places I would rather not dwell on.

10. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I can't say I know anything about that. But like I said, it was very spur of the moment, he just suddenly asked if I wanted to make out, and then he asked me if I wanted to get in the bed, and before I knew it he was coming in my mouth. For the record, I didn't come, I really just wanted to do something nice for him.

But it felt rushed and we agreed it was awkward, and when he went home I was left with a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach, one that lingered with me all day, yesterday and honestly something I can say I've never felt after sex. Call it shame, call it my Catholic guilt, call it whatever you want. It's a little better, today, but I still feel weird about it all.

11. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for the double post, but I was talking to him on the phone a little while ago and it feels like everything's cool between us. We didn't talk about our little sexual escapade the other day, I was mostly calling him to wish him a happy birthday. Then he was telling me about particle colliders, he has ADHD so his mind really wanders from one topic to the next.

Anyway, he said he'd call me back in a bit, he had to do something, so naturally per my nervous nature I'm sitting by the phone, driving myself crazy, waiting for it to ring. The weird feeling I had is mostly gone, though, replaced with an anxiety about whether or not he's gonna call me back. I always do this to myself!

12. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Are you wanting instead to just remain friends? Perhaps you feel terribly because you aren't interested in dating him and having an emotional relationship with him? Are you worried now that he wants more?

There's nothing wrong with what you did. You got out of your thoughts for a bit and followed a human emotion. Quit stressing out about it.

If you do want to be with him, you can choose to slow things down and have a couple romantic date nights before taking it there again. You should stop focusing on age because there are always exceptions to the immaturity rule. Give a person a chance first.

Myclosetisfull and Benway like this.
  13. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I like him a lot, but there's a couple problems with my starting a relationship with him, a little background information first.

My father is a firebrand Protestant and conservative Republican, but he's totally cool with gay people, his little brother is gay, and my Dad has always said that I can love whoever I want and Jesus won't judge me for it.

My mother on the other hand, whom I live with, is a liberal Democrat and a gypsy who absolutely loathes the idea of homosexuality. I've told her about my sexuality and she refuses to believe that something like being bisexual exists and will from time to time ask me "Are you STILL gay?" And when I tell her "No, Mom, I'm bisexual," and she responds "You're full of shit." She's an extremely emotionally unstable person who I'm very interdependent on and she wouldn't like the idea of me dating a man, very much.

Then there's my own problems, I'm afraid of getting hurt, emotionally and am generally very untrusting of even my closest friends. I don't even trust my best friend further than I can throw him. I've been in love before, with a woman, but she hurt me badly, and left me as low as I could be. Her absence in my life has haunted me for a long time and I don't want to ever feel that way again.

I honestly would like to be friends with him, but I don't know if even at 29 I'm emotionally mature enough to handle a relationship...

14. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Your parents should not be the first thing on your mind when considering who you want to date! It doesn't sound like your mom will leave you if you date a man even though she's not a fan of it. She may resist at first but over time might get used to the idea.

Always remember that your parents aren't dating them, you are. And sometimes your parents have only their own happiness in mind. Never live for anyone else or you are really going to have regrets years down the line. You don't get 29 back. At 60, you'll probably hate that you wasted your best years worrying.

On another hand, there are people in my family that I know wouldn't want me to date a woman...but for women that I've really been into, I couldn't give the slightest crap if my family liked it or not. Perhaps you just don't like him enough? ...Or perhaps you just care more about your family and their opinion than I do mine...

Everyone going into any relationship has the potential to experience hurt. I suggest you give relationships a try but take it slow from here on out.

Myclosetisfull likes this.
  15. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My family means the world to me, I live with my mother and pay rent for room and board for her by choice-- I'm free to leave whenever I want, but every time I talk about leaving my Mom says "Please, don't go." So I do care a lot about what my family thinks.

My brother didn't care what our family thought and he had a girl run away from her home in Wisconsin when she turned 18 and come live with us in southeastern Pennsylvania and she was an unholy terror, horrible, horrible person who was abusive to me and mother. I don't want to run that risk of alienating myself from my family.

As far as getting hurt goes, I'll be 30 in November and I've never been in a relationship-- I feel like it's too late to start, that I missed the boat and all my friends around me are getting married and having children and I'm still the guy living at home with his mother. Like I said, my Mom and I are interdependent and codependent on each other.

16. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well that is your choice if you do choose your mother in the end of it all... I do have to say I don't agree with that choice.

17. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If your mother really cares about you she will respect any relationship you chose, even if she doesn't think it's right, and it sounds like she depends on you more than you on her so she really doesn't have a choice but to accept whatever you do. You can't really alienate yourself from someone who relies on you and begs you not to leave them, but she could quite easily alienate you and you should make that clear.

18. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just got off a lengthy phone conversation with my friend who I had sex with. We didn't even talk about it, what we did, I mean, he was telling me for an hour and a half about his favorite thing: science. We talked about how the mantles of the earth and Mars are different, we talked about how a photon from the center of the sun takes a hundred thousand years to reach the earth. I don't think our friendship is compromised in any way. But I thank each and every one of you for your support over this most difficult of weekends. I really think Chip said it best, the hormones just got the best of us.

19. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Benway,

Just a little message of support.

First, you are definitely NOT too old to start having serious relationships. I'm not sure I believe a common theory in the Gay community that things operate differently in "Gay years" (in which case you would still be just beginning your 'prime' years), but in real, human terms, you are truly in the prime years of your life to find someone with whom you can spend the rest of your life as a true partner.

As far as your mom goes, I would say that you have to consider your own life first and foremost. You're not the first gay guy that I know who hasn't moved away from his mother at age 30. However, now is the time for you to seriously consider focusing more on yourself than on her. That is not to say that you can't continue to be close to her and watch over her, but is it really necessary to do so living in her house? Living with your mom is likely to be awkward with many potential boyfriends. Not specifically because you are living with her, but more from the standpoint that it can/will inhibit romantic/sexual interactions and experiences with them.

In terms of what your brother did, you already recognize the unhealthy situation that he brought to your family home. You are not your brother. And you already have an example of 'what not to do,' thanks to him. Don't worry about it. You'll do just fine.

Just some thoughts.

Benway and Myclosetisfull like this.
  20. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Darn it I feel your pain!
    I hate it when a partner is coming in my mouth before I know it too!
    Top that with his leaving you high and dry and I'm beginning to totally understand you getting your awkward on.
    My condolences.