1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pottergeek, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Pottergeek

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone!

So i'm a teenage girl heading out to college this year.
    Here's the thing, I didn't really have a religious out bringing and I have family members that are out and thriving in this community, but for some reason, for me being gay was never an option. Even though I do not come from a very religious family, I went to a catholic school for 12 years, so I kinda never thought about being gay as a possibility. Now when I started 8th grade I started to question my sexuality without really giving myself the option. Later on, I had two boyfriends with whom I was never fully comfortable. With my second boyfriend, whom I dated during my senior year, I went all the way and to this day I don't regret it, but when we did it, I was just wishing for it to end and I wasn't fully comfortable. At that point I started to think that I was asexual, because I do not enjoy sex with boys and I had never considered being with another girl.
    At graduation, a while after we broke up, me and my friend (female) had gotten just a little bit too much to drink and we slept together. From the moment I kissed her I knew something was different. The whole summer went by and I never forgot that night and kinda wished for it turned into something more.

It's at that point that I started to realize that I was gay, that I didn't look at girls the same way I looked at boys. I guess I had boyfriends because that was the norm, everyone was dating and I wanted to date too. But now, after two months of questioning and thinking, I have come to terms with the fact that I'm gay, that it's not a phase and that it's not gonna go away, I don't know what to do, how to tell my divorced parents and I pretty scared to tell my friends because I like I said, I went to a catholic school and I don't know how they are going to react.

Can you guys help me? how did you come out and how long did you wait to come out?
    Thank you all in advance for your support :heart_exclamation:

2. Samthing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I waited about 6 months after deciding I was bi before telling someone. I just straight up told my dad after about ten minutes of panicking and saying I had something to tell him.
    He said "Is that it? I thought it was something serious like you'd gotten into trouble or something. Dont scare me like that."

If you feel you can't straight up tell them, write them a letter.

Pottergeek likes this.
  3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pottergeek.....people come out in many ways. The most important thing to remember is to come out when YOU are ready, not just because you think you should. Sometimes it's a letter, sometimes an email, sometimes a text, sometimes a phone call, sometimes face-to-face. And....sometimes people come out by just being themselves....they don't make an announcement, they just talk about their boy/girlfriend or perhaps bring them by the house to meet mom and dad. What is important is what feels right to you and what you think will be the best way to approach your parents. Best of luck....and keep us all posted on what happens! ......David

DirectionNorth and Pottergeek like this.
  4. Pottergeek

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey everyone!

So I decided to come out to a friend of mine. I've known her for about 4 years and she's sorta my "mom-friend" in a way that she has been there for me ever since we met so I called her and at first the words wouldn't come out so she started to worry. after a minute I gathered my thoughts and I told her. We talked about it and she said she was proud of me for allowing myself to be happy and proud of who I am. She was kinda relieved that I hadn't done something stupid and "it was only that", which to me is a relief in the sense that it's not that big of a deal.
    That conversation gave me the courage to come out to at least one other friend in the next week so now I know that I have people in my corner to back me up. At the same time I tend to agree with what my friend said: "If anything it will allow for the toxic people to get out of your life and for better people to enter"

Samthing and DirectionNorth like this.
  5. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great! And I agree with her- that with a few people in your corner can help you better face people with not so good reactions. Not to say that it won't be upsetting if you run across someone bad, it won't hurt, but at least you'll have a few people you can talk to immediately to help you through it and support you!

6. spaceintime2032

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think because my mum as incline I am gay now and sister too. I don’t think it would be hard to tell them I am gay right out. I will speak to cbt therapist about it and If the cbt therapist thinks its the right time to to tell them I will.