1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who should I come out to first?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shayne16, Aug 17, 2017.

?

Who should I come out to first?

1. Family

2. Friends

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shayne16

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am gay yet still in the closet. Should I come out to my Christian Parents first? or should I come out to my close friends first?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I vote friends.

3. Majush93

Out Status:
    Some people
    I am sorry but I can´t really vote on that. It depends on so many factors but as your parents are Christian I would say you should came out to a friend you trust the most and you know that they are okay with lgbtq people :wink: but even some Christian people can be supportive so if you trust your family to have positive reaction you may come out to a family member first. It´s really up to you :wink: I wish you luck :slight_smile:

4. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I first started questioning I came out to a couple of people I knew I cld trust and could be supportive. I'm saving the people uncertain about for later. This way I know I have those I have told if things go sour with the questionables.

BothWaysSecret likes this.
  5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Friends is easier imho. Then they can give you the support you need to come out to family.

#5 HM03, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a general rule, it's best to build up a support network before telling parents (unless you are confident about their reaction). Your friends might be the best people to tell first. How do you think they would react? Would they be supportive?

It's not necessarily the case that Christian parents will react badly. It really depends on how they practice their faith. Some Christians are very open minded and tolerant people who place great emphasis on not judging. What denomination do your parents belong to... Baptists, Methodists, Catholic, Episcopalian?

7. DLdad2out

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a married older dad. in febuary i secretly joins a datesite and met a Ts overseas. I got ticket to go see her. But didn't tell wife. 3 weeks before trip wife found ticket online and asked me about it, I said I just wanted to get away. I met girl and fell in love. Oh wife and I have not been sexually active since 2009, but we are great friends. I figured when I came home wife would leave me. But she didn't. Ts friended me on fb, and had her profile pic one we took together. Wife was informed by Ts's ex that I was in philippines with Ts. Wife never said anything except some guy is calling saying you meeting his girl in ohilippines. I said I was. i told my daughter and mother I had met someone but they saw her and just figured it was a girl, they both friended her on fb. Today I call my daughter and said hey the girl I met is really a guy/transsexual. She said it was cool that I could tell her and she's glad I found someone that I really like. Tomorrow I will tell my mother. Yeah I'm scared.