1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My job

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gay1234, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Gay1234

I know I haven't posted here in a while. So basically I am working in a local hotel. I am loving the job but I feel kinda left out.

I have been working here since the middle of June and have gotten loads of compliments of how good I am at my job. That is all great and all. The only snag that's bothering me a bit is the fact that I am a 17 year old housekeeper there. I know she doesn't matter. I'm a male housekeeper and one of the only male housekeeper in the workplace. They all treat me very well so it's no fault of theirs but I feel a bit odd. Every lad in my class all work in 'macho' job titles unlike me.

I worry that I will meet a male customer who is full of snobbery and mocks me about being a male just because he expects a female to be doing it. Am I overreacting?

I would love your input on this. Don't get my wrong, I love my job and the people I work with well mostly. I don't like people who don't do their job and makes me or other people cover their work. I love it in the hotel but this is just a slight worry. I'm a worrier!

Best of luck,
    Gay1234

2. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi,

I wouldn't worry about it. It's the 21st century and you don't see a difference in boy/ girl jobs as much any more. You work in operations, so you're the backbone of the establishment (without you it wouldn't function) so it is in a way a 'macho' thing. If you have someone that mocks you then they're just idiots. You're a teenager at your first(?) jobs, so they can't expect you to start of with something hardcore. You're only two months into the job, do you still worry as much as you did in the beginning? Have you tried talking about your worries with the other male housekeepers? Maybe they'll have some tips for you on how to deal with this.

I like your signature, btw. You say: "I accept myself and do not hate myself" so if you accept yourself with your job then stupid customers won't bother you (similarly if someone took the piss out of you being gay).

Hope this helps, take care. :slight_smile:

3. Gay1234

You helo
    You helped a lot thank you! I only worry a tiny bit now it's not a big deal sure.