1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

realising your gay or bi in 19/twenties

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by mlm1234, Aug 5, 2017.

1. mlm1234

mlm1234 Guest

Is it normal to not realise that your bi or gay until your 19/twenties and not accept for several more years. like it hit you out of nowhere. that u knew something was different and out of place. something wrong but you never put your finger on it, then bang all of a sudden you knew.

2. Taraeos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't think there is a "normal" when it comes to things like this. Everyone is different and comes to the realization in their own time and at their own pace. It's not something that can be rushed or has an expiry date on. There's no need to measure it against anyone else, it's a very personal thing, and everyone's experience is unique. :slight_smile:

3. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had something similar. I was in a "bisexual phase" since I was 17 until I was 34... Until I came in the right situation and I was finally able to realize that phases usually don't last that long and that I could not identify as straight. In retrospect it was obvious that I was bi but for some reason (I suppose internalized biphobia?) I always thought I would end up straight in the end. The mind is a strange thing!

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha, i can relate to that. I discovered it when i was 18~19. I never thought too much about this, and one day i questioned it and found out i wasn't straight. I was like:
    [​IMG]

Some people always knew their sexuality, since childhood. Some people will only realize it after 50, 60 years. There is no time limit set in stone.

5. TigerStripes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took a while... and felt REALLY dense looking back at it. I just really didn't think about it at all.

6. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sort of realised I was gay around 15/16 but refused to deal with it. Eventually at 25, I came out ... but I still have some issues... long story. But yeah... I didn't want to deal with it while a teenager or early 20s...

7. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As everyone's pointing out, there's not really a normal - but it's also quite common for people to come out in their 20s, sure (or younger, or older). I realized I was gay when I was 20.

8. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Completely normal.