1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts about dating

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by rosemarythyme, Aug 2, 2017.

1. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm still in love with my 100% unavailable Catalyst. I normally see her a few times a week for work which while slightly painful is something I look forward to with that sort of irrational hope that can be so hard to give up, especially when things can't progress in any normal way. I think it would help me to get a perspective if I could get to know her better. But I can't. Now I won't see her until September and I'm feeling in a pro-active mood. Don't want to spend another month pining and remembering her voice, her eyes etc etc etc. I have no experience with women and still describe myself as questioning. Falling for someone unavailable is a good way to not really face it. So maybe I could make an effort to face it?

Yesterday I finally had the conversation that I've been building up to with my husband. We still live together but have been separated for a few years. For a long time dating was the last thing on my mind but for the last about half a year, since I've started questioning, I've been thinking about it. He hasn't been involved with anyone so far either so I wanted to know where we stand on this. Basically, he said he couldn't care less if I date someone. So the marriage is officially open. Now what do I do?

I tend to take everything very seriously so something like a hook up is a foreign concept and I couldn't do that. Even before marriage I never really dated. Had Also as a married woman with a small child, who's in love with someone else and doesn't even know for sure if she's attracted to women beyond the one - what can I really offer anyone? Seems totally the wrong place to date from. I guess I need to just dive in without overthinking, have some fun, don't worry etc... so hard to do.

It helped to write this down so thanks for reading. If anyone relates or has any advice I'd love to hear it.

2. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I RELATE!

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I can understand all of your concerns. I think my advice would be perhaps rather than signing up to date (which I'm not saying would be a bad thing) would be to see I feel there are any LGBT meet up groups in your area either through LGBT centres or meetup.com or something like that and start by just going out to make friends, try some new hobbies and stuff, keeping yourself busy will help with your catalyst and you never know you might meet someone you are interest in.

4. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks, RJay. I still follow your epic thread, just don't know what to say most of the time. In fact I think it was what somebody suggested to you, to distract yourself from V by making more LGBT friends and contacts, that got me thinking about this dating thing again.

silverhalo, that is very good advice and I have done some of that. Joined some groups that are not specifically LGBT but one that happens to have several out gay members (the first openly non-straight friends I've ever made!) and I was able to come out to some of them. That is all good progress for me because I used to be quite isolated, especially when my daughter was little. There was one lesbian woman I met in the group that I met up with a few times but we had a disagreement which could have had something to do with her wanting something else from the friendship than I did... So having done a bit of that (and I continue to look for more possible meetups) I was just thinking dating could be the next thing to try.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh cool, we yes if you have been there and tried that then why not try dating whilst still looking for other potential meet ups.
    I mean I think with online dating (which is I am assuming what you would do) it can be very hit and miss and you have to put up with some unwanted messages but I don't think it's is always that dissimilar to real life I mean there is occasionally unwanted idiots wherever you are so you just have to ignore them.
    What do you have to lose?

#5 silverhalo, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  6. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I second Silverhalo. I have been corresponding with a lovely woman for about a week now via online dating. We have been emailing each other and seem to be in a similar place - in our forties, both separated for over six months within the family home, both have children, both have very recently been in unrequited love, both do jobs in the same field. It is feeling quite intense as we explore our feelings and get to know eachother as best we can remotely. We don't live at other ends of the country, but are still not that close geographically. Anyway, we know that we are both limited in what we can do, but are enjoying connecting and exploring together. It feels exciting.
    My advice is be honest but upbeat on your profile and put a nice smiley picture up. I got varied interest and had to block a horrid troll, but there are some sincere people out there who you never know, you might connect with.

It will at the very least provide a welcome distraction from a futile love...

silverhalo likes this.
  7. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Peterpangirl, that sounds good and just what I think I'd like with someone. Gives me hope and I might just try it. Unless the trolls knock my confidence too much... But it could be worth it even for the experience. Honest but upbeat... I wonder how honest would you go? Saying I'm new to this and don't know what label fits?

8. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well, I've gone and done it. Set up a profile and got in touch with several women I liked. There seem to be people out there looking mainly for friends and see where it leads, which sounds good to me too. And I've come across women who say openly they are late in life lesbians and exploring that for the first time. So far it's an interesting experience and usefully distracting me from missing her.

9. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can only be yourself. Maybe you are in the grey middle or maybe not. I think it's okay to just admit to yourself that you don't know. We all have a history and if you are genuine and kind I think people will see that. The sort of people you would want as friends will accept you as you are, not judge you for not being a "gold-star lesbian"!

rosemarythyme and dreamingfreely like this.
  10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations rosemarythyme that's such a big step. I am so happy for you. Don't get disheartened if you don't find what you are looking for straightaway. Not that I'm saying you won't.

@Peterpangirl I totally agree with you. I think it's a stupid term. If someone doesn't want you because you have been with a man then they aren't the kind of person you want anyway :slight_smile:

dreamingfreely and rosemarythyme like this.
  11. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you! It must be nice just getting to know other lesbian women. :slight_smile:

I quite like the idea of getting to know women and making friends, rather than the pressure of looking for a partner or someone to date.

junebug99 likes this.
  12. Rvnt

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am looking forward to meeting potential friends at a lesbian meetup this weekend. And, I think online dating is next.

This is such an obvious comment, but I just need to make it: At least with going to lesbian meetups and signing up for online dating, there will be a much, much higher chance that I will actually meet a real lesbian who has at least come out enough to pursue these kinds of activities, and can move past pining for the straight, or unsure, and unavailable woman.

13. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My thoughts exactly.

I must say this has been so effective in filling my head with conversations with other people that the space for the catalyst has shrunk. At least for now. It's also a very future-oriented thing, which is what I needed.

And another important step for me. Maybe for the first time ever I'm meeting new people while being unapologetically me. Not just to do with sexuality but everything, the way I talk, my non mainstream interests... I'm so used to 'toning myself down' so that I'm not 'too much'. This feels good. And seeing that it actually attracts women who I have something in common with. Sounds obvious but as with everything it's different knowing the theory and living it :slight_smile:

dreamingfreely likes this.
  14. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Feeling less optimistic today. The dating site is a distraction and the positives I mentioned above are true but it's not a way to get over the catalyst. After talking to a few women online I have uncomfortable thoughts comparing them to her. My heart is clearly elsewhere...

I was thinking that if I got to know her better I might feel differently about her. Given that it's not really possible IRL I've read some writing she's published. Shouldn't have done that because it had the opposite effect.

I might as well allow the feelings to happen - being in love with her, missing her, probably idealizing her... Maybe there's some point to it all. Maybe I'm not even gay, maybe it's just her.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Rosemarythyme. I'm sorry you are feeling a bit low, maybe you are not quite ready for dating yet, or maybe the women you have spoken to are just not the right ones for you.

Have you ever outlined or looked at the faults that your catalyst has?

16. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you, Silverhalo. I'm at the stage where any faults she may have are either invisible or forgiven. The biggest fault is her being unavailable, I guess. If there was a chance to get to know her better I'm sure my opinion would be a lot more realistic.

17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You just have to find a way to take off your rose tinted spectacles haha. Being unavailable is a good start, what else are you forgiving?

Do you know if she is straight or gay etc?

18. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't know her orientation. She had children with a man but is very LGBT friendly. Could be bi. Or just straight and open minded.

Maybe these things have to take their course. Surely it's not possible to have feelings for an unavailable person forever... Or is it?

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly I've no idea.

You said earlier maybe you are not gay, maybe it's just her. Have you ever crushed on other women or men?

20. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It's hard to tell. Recently I've come to doubt everything... what do I even know about attraction. I thought I was in love with my husband but maybe it wasn't that. I was in love with my best girl friend as a child but... was it love then? Girls sometimes have close friendships and it doesn't mean anything. I thought I had crushes on men, sometimes... or maybe they just made me nervous. I fancied one or two women in my life but was that a crush? What is this that I feel about her now? Is that a crush? I'm... confused. Thank you for talking, you're very kind.