1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Little, But Big Thing

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Rvnt, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Rvnt

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was just simply so refreshing to make a comment among some of my coworkers that alluded to the fact that I am lesbian. I got a few interesting looks, but no time today to make the conversation go any further. This workplace has been a challenge, because I do not think anyone here is gay or lesbian. Small place as well. I could be wrong. In my former job, I totally missed that one of the main people I worked with was lesbian and married to her partner, although she told me she immediately had me figured out, like it was so obviously obvious. And my relationship with my former female boss was a lot about exchanging flirtatious comments, even though I knew she would never own up to being lesbian and is relationship phobic.

So now it will be interesting to see who might be interested enough to make comments on my comment of today. I am clear that I have nothing to hide, and if anyone asked me I would simply state the truth. But really, for most people I work with, its none of their business. Its just seems that straight people assume I am straight, and why wouldn't they? They obviously do not give much thought at all to this. But Lesbians seem to get that I am lesbian.

2. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds a positive step forward for you. I'm sort of keen for a similar opportunity at work, and wonder if some of my online comments will be noticed by anyone. I say sort of because I realise I was very comfortable previously having spoken to a couple of colleagues a couple of years ago and decided it was enough.

You may be surprised at some reactions, perhaps you'll find that you're not alone!

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I get this I think it is because LGBT always look for signs of other LGBT people and have spent time honing their gaydar skills whereas straight people tend to be oblivious to anything that isn't direct or in their face haha. Good luck I am sure even if they are surprised it will all be fine.

4. Rvnt

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, thanks, my immediate colleagues are open individuals, but at this point in time, I really am not overly concerned with what people think. I have been out to certain people in my life for a long time. The company even has domestic partner medical benefits for other states where marriage is not recognized.

silverhalo likes this.
  5. Rvnt

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ha, ha, today a short lunch conversation turned to diversity in people, how open minded or liberal people's relatives are, and how one of my coworker's relatives was outed on tv as she was seen by family during a demonstration. I replied, oh that's cool, she was outed like that? I just think its kind of nice. These coworkers like me, and I think they were saying ahhh, its okay. I just did not want to out myself to 3 people at once, but going to do this one by one.

6. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I find myself making bold comments at work as well. Today my male coworker was telling me that he saw Atomic Blonde over the weekend, we have the same taste in movies, and my female boss said hey don't spoil it for her. So no going into detail. I said only detail I needed to know is that there is kissing in it. She then called me by my last name and said that I was so bad and I just laughed and said yeah. But omg I want to see that movie so bad. I say let them think what they like I don't really care.

#6 dreamingfreely, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017