1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are psychics real?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bearhug1994, Aug 1, 2017.

1. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Always wanted to try one out. Any of y'all ever been?

2. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I've never been to one. And no, they're not real. Even religious people who believe in higher powers and magic generally don't believe in psychics.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they are real, they haven't been able to prove it scientifically until this moment.

You are free to believe it if you want, but be very careful with lies and deceit to get your money. And, also, if you are looking for help, a psychologist or psychiatrist will be able to help you.

Again, you are free to believe it if you want, but i strongly advise against using psychics as advisors for really important matters in your life.

4. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been to a few mediums and tarot card readers over the years as well as studying both myself. I'm looking forward to attending a charity mediumship night in a couple of weeks and maybe booking a reading from a new shop that's opened close to me. So personally I believe in them although I think there are both good and bad ones out there.
    That being said this is my own personal beliefs and I can offer no proof that they are actually 'real'. I did a few readings myself when I was studying in a circle and seemed to offer things that the person I was reading for could relate. Even so I would hesitate to say that I'm 'real' or not. In the end it has to be up to you.
    A couple of hints if you do see one. Never offer up any information yourself. Let them provide any messages to you. If they ask if you can relate it or not to something in your life then that's fine. If you can't think of anyway it relates say so. Some mediums I've seen try to force it on you. I've found it best to simply say that you can't think of anything it relates to at the moment but you'll keep the message in mind.
    I would also say it is best to see a medium on a one to one basis instead of at a show where messages can go to anyone. For one thing you'll get a fuller reading and ask for clarification on things as you are paying for the time where as on a show night they'll likely be trying to get as many people read as possible.
    Finally trust your instincts. If you are looking for a medium see weather they feel right to you. Also I believe what messages they provide can be used as guidance and not a fixed course of events. For example of medium I saw just after I started uni picked up that there was a lecturer at uni that I didn't like and was causing me problems. As such I decided to drop that aspect of the course and stayed at uni happy and got my degree. Up until then I was considering quitting. On another occasion I was told I would get with a woman whose name began with L. That didn't stop me going ahead and getting with a woman whose name didn't begin with L. So basically you can take what you want from a reading.

Hope this helped.

5. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No I wasn't lookin for help I have just always been interested in the subject. I don't necessarily believe in it either. I just wanted to see if they know as much about me as I do haha.

6. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a pretty open mind on matters such as this, I've read into but never really studied it. So I would say I'm leaning to believe in it but I have no first hand experience to confirm it. That's why I wanna go check it out. Curiosity pretty much.

#6 bearhug1994, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Psychics are real. What they practice is certainly not.

8. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never been to one, but I feel some are real, most just scam people. I'd try to stay quiet to see if they are authentic or grasping at straws.

My aunt went to a medium with a group of friends, and my grandmother came through. The medium said alot of things that definitely sounded like my grandmother to a T, and my aunt said nothing at all during the reading, so she wouldn't have led the medium on in any way. I am convinced this woman is authentic, but usually, I am skeptical

#8 BothWaysSecret, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most psychics are simply cold readers who make a bunch of general statements, fish for hints from you, and make inferences based on your age, appearance, clothes, etc.

There are a small handful of real ones... but these are generally the ones you don't hear much about. The school of consciousness studies at JFK University has looked into this and found a handful that, in clinical settings, appear to have 90+ % accuracy. There are also some pretty well documented cases of people with extremely accurate and precise (80+%) intuition of specific medical diagnostic ability, and some who seem to have unusual ability (beyond placebo) to effect medically verifiable healing.

So, based on what I've seen, there are some exceptions, but on the whole, the overwhelming majority of psychics are simply using parlor tricks, and I wouldn't waste my money.

10. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe in psychic phenomena, but I think most psychics are fake. Even the real ones can have personal bias sometimes. But a lot of times I just see it as entertainment. I'm thinking of getting into psychic reading for fun. Sometimes I get gut feelings about stuff, but sometimes I don't.

11. AquaWolf77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Believe it or not my mom is a psychic. She's not one that can like super read the future all the time and stuff but she can read energy and hear stuff from the other side. Shes a third generation psychic, I'm adopted so I didn't get it but I definitely believe it just because of all the times shes proved it.

12. Taraeos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely believe in psychic energy and the concept of higher powers, I always have- but I'm also well aware that the vast majority of those who claim to have certain abilities probably don't.

13. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If they could really do what they say they do, you wouldn't need to call them, they would call you.

14. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey bearhug1994,

In general, the way I look at Psychics is the way I look at Horoscopes. An individual can believe or not believe based on their own whims. I think the potential issues come in when you 'believe' in someone/anyone elses' thoughts/judgments more than you believe in your own. Once you give up your personal right to free will, you walk a dangerous path - and, by definition, not one of your own choosing.

I don't see anything wrong with the idea of consulting a 'psychic', but if you take their advice (and, let's be clear, it is only their personal/individual advice that they are providing) then you do so based on your own thought processes and conscience.

My 2cents.

#14 Quantumreality, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  15. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I don't believe it. I'm quite skeptical of... well, just about anything with enough evidence.

However, there are people who are quite savvy about predicting others, that I can vouch for.

16. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some years ago, it was necessary for the British government to introduce a Fraudulent Mediums Act, because so many innocent people were being taken for a ride by conmen and women who claimed to have psychic abilities. I don't know how many people were actually tried and convicted, but the mere fact that it was necessary to legislate should tell us something.

17. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never been to one, but I have personally experienced some of the phenomenon. It can be a difficult subject for some people to wrap their heads around, especially if they've had no experience with it, but there are real psychics out there. Problem is, there are also charlatans who run scams by posing as real psychic. How do you discern between the two?

18. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe we all have the ability to access these gifts. Some are just more sensitive than others. I used to have visions as a child, but I never did anything to nurture this gift. Eventually, I stopped having visions as I got older. I started using crystals last year, and that's when my visions started coming back as well as the ability to perceive things on other planes. I recommend using iolite. It's good for beginners as well as intermediate.

#18 PlantSoul, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  19. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe some are, some aren't. I do believe that people can have clairvoyant minds.

20. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It would depend on what a person considers "real." They are definitely good at what they do so are real that way, however what they actually do is tell people what they want to hear. A person obviously goes to a psychic in the first place for some specific reason. Their job is to figure out what you want to hear enough that you went there, and then tell it to you exactly as you want to hear it to make you happy.

Their actual skills are picking up on unconscious cues and signs people don't even know they have, and combining all of them to figure out who you are and what you would like in an answer. Kind of like mentalists, they claim to "read minds" but actually they just know what physical signs correlate with particular topics and can tell what you're thinking about based on a particular movement or body language.

It's really quite amazing how easy it is to know anything you want about a person just by knowing what to look for while they speak. One of the better known examples is which direction your eyes look during a conversation. Looking up and to the left, you're trying to remember something. Up and to the right, you're making up a lie or trying to recreate/remember a lie you told previously. Things like that happen subconsciously in less than a second but can be picked up on by professionals.