1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I tried to kill myself today

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SomecallhimTim, Jul 18, 2017.

1. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey. Like the title says. I tried to hang myself this morning but the belt broke. I could really use someone to talk to, if anyone's willing and available. Thanks

2. Gideon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey man, shit always gets better eventually. No matter how bad shit is, no matter how dark that hole or how heavy the weight...it -does- get better. Just take it one slow breath at a time, yeah? You can do that...and if you can take that one slow breath, you can take another and then another, til things start to feel just a little bit better.

3. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. That's what I'm trying to do. I'm just a bit in shock right now because this time it was so out of the blue. The first time I tried I'd been planning for months and I knew about a week or two before that I was going to do it. This time it was completely on impulse and I'm not really sure how to handle that because I still want to.

4. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not qualified to council on the issue, but I have been there myself.

I want to encourage you to talk to a therapist, either through an anonymous call line, or even better, by visiting one in person. I know it's scary and uncomfortable, but visiting a therapist is 100% confidential, and they can help you find your way back to the surface of the emotional struggle you're going through.

If you feel you can't afford a thrapist, look into community mental health initiatives in your area. A lot of times communities (or nearby larger communities if you're in a small one) offer free counseling and/or counseling at a pro-rated cost (based off your income).

Gideon likes this.
  5. Gideon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk to someone man. A therapist would be best...and remind yourself not of just how much the people who love you would be -hurt- by that loss, yeah? There is always something to live for, always a reason to fight.

And no matter how hard you hit bottom, there is always, always something better waiting ahead. It can only get better from here, right?

Get yourself the help you need, man.

6. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't start therapy until I'm 18, which is still a couple months from now but I've been planning to try and see someone then. A couple of my friends know. One of them found out before I tried to do it and he drove over and held me for a long time. He's been helping me stop hurting myself, and I really thought I was getting better. Last night I broke though and then there was what happened today... I'm really hoping that it's going to get better. I have a lot of intrusive thoughts though and sometimes I can't control it.

7. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *Nodding* Before I found a medication that worked, I had suicidal thoughts on a nearly daily basis for a number of years, and urges that sprung up out of the blue. I was also a cutter. Therapy did wonders on learning how to control those urges, and medication curbed the thoughts entirely.

I wasn't aware of the age limit on therapy, but I would suggest as soon as you turn 18 you start looking into it. In the meantime, is there a hotline or school counselor, or outreach program for youth in your area that you could utilize until you can move on to a therapeutic approach?

Once you are in therapy, you will need to decide if you want to go on medication or not. This is a personal choice, and no one can decide that for you.

If you DO go on medication, be aware that each medication (and there are a lot of them) effect every person differently. What works for one person, won't work for another, etc. They also each take months to start working fully, so patience is needed as the medication slowly levels out your system. Be sure to be honest with yourself, the therapist, and whoever does the prescriptions on whether or not the medication seems to be working for you.

Gideon likes this.
  8. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, something that my therapist taught me that has helped me through depression episodes and suicidal urges.

Remember that everything is temporary, yeah? The depression is temporary, and it's going to go away. The urge to kill yourself is temporary, and it's going to go away. The emotions behind why you feel you want to kill yourself are temporary, and they too will shift.

No emotion is permanent, and emotions are what control our perspective about life, the world, and every situation around us.

Consider that.... and when the bad things come, consider that the bad thing is temporary... and -wait- for it to go away. Sometimes it doesn't always feel like it's going to go away, and it feels like it's going to last forever. But that feeling is also an emotion... and it's temporary.

Gideon likes this.
  9. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not an age limit, it's that I don't have a job yet and I can't ask my mom for help.

That's a good point. I'll try to remember it.

I think I probably should be on medication. I have a close friend who has been going through something similar for pretty much as long as I've known her, and she's been in and out of therapy and meds are the only thing that's helped her. I know everyone's different and the same thing might not work for me, but I've been using mindfulness techniques for a long time and it helps but not enough. I get better for a while and then everything comes back for no discernible reason

10. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, if it's not an age limit, you might look into the community mental health initiatives that I mentioned. Sometimes they offer free assistance for those that are unemployed.

Not all depression (and suicidal urges) are triggered by an outside source. Sometimes it has to do with brain chemistry and emotional imbalances that have nothing to do with what's going on around you.

One point tho about medication. Therapy should be a first stop before going into something invasive (such as putting chemicals in the body). Not because you might not need medication... you might. But if you don't, it's better to find that out first prior to playing chemist with your body. :slight_smile:

11. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I spent a day making calls a while back to places like that. I got told over and over that they couldn't help me and given another number to try. In the end someone sent me a list of places that would take me but they're all so far away..

Yeah that makes sense. Especially since just a couple days ago I was totally fine. I felt normal and actually happy for the first time in years and then this happens... Idk brains are weird.

I do plan to wait a while before I start any medication. I just think it'll probably end up there.

You seem like you have a lot of good information. Can you think of anything that might help with the immediate effects? I'm having a really hard time calming down even though it was hours ago.

12. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it might be something you have to travel for, especially if you're in a small community.

For calming down.... For me, medication and sleep was my calm-down. My favorite place to meditate was curled up on my side in the bottom of the shower with the water running. I'd watch the drops of water run down the side of the wall before my face while practicing deep breathing. The sensation of the shower raining down helps somehow in blocking out the rest of the world and inner thoughts. I don't know if it would work the same for you, but you might try it or another meditation type technique that you connect with.

Ruby Dragon and Gideon like this.
  13. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey, I've been there... You're not in a good place and I'm glad you recognized you need help. I'm not a professional, I can only talk from my own experiences and from the ones who surround me but I'm here if you need to talk it out.... I'd be truly happy to try and help you, man!

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

I don't want to undercut the sincerity of everyone posting here but just about the only thing for you to do right now, even though I'm writing this a while after the original post, is speak to somebody professional. The link above is to a US phone service which provides suicide advice. Any active attempt at suicide really needs a comprehensive response. You need to speak to someone sooner rather than later and above all you should avoid being alone.

That you tried might just indicate you shouldn't leave it any further before seeking help - what beyond this could reasonably prompt you to be worried enough?

Twist likes this.
  15. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not going to do anything like that again. It hurt too much and my friends were really upset, I don't want them to worry about me. I'll try talking to someone as soon as I have a chance. Thank you all for your support

16. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey dude,

I can't be there for you which sucks because I have a reputation of being a great listener among friends. But if you need to, please, please, please, call the depression hotline. Have someone to talk to.

I'll be honest with you I wasn't feeling good today either. The dysphoria got to an all-time high and I just thought, what's the use? But then I had dinner with my family and the pain started to fade away. How could I even consider leaving them? They all love me so much and it would ruin their lives. I'm sure you have a bigger impact than you'd ever believe. I had a friend who died due to a car crash a few years back. We weren't especially close but it's so strange to think I am now older than he will EVER be.

You gotta live. For all of us. So many trans kids and adults commit suicide, thinking, what's the point? There is a point. Just by being yourself, you may be granting someone else more courage than you'd ever know.

Besides. I've seen your photos that you've posted in the passing threads and you're really cute. And I don't mean it in some girly way. You are legitimately a cute cute lovable thing.

17. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can truly understand the feelings that you have that would make you want to hurt yourself. I've got at least a half dozen attempts in my past, and as many hospitalizations for it too. My wrists are covered in scars.
    I used to think I'd never live to see 18, and yet here I am now at 40.
    One thing you should try to keep in mind, as others have said, this really IS temporary. I have built a ton of memories since my darkest days. They haven't all been rosy but they all are memories I'd never have had if I were successful at ending my life in my teens.
    It is so hard sometimes to see past the swirling storm of emotions when you feel hopelessly stuck in the middle of it. One thing that always helped me was to think about the devastation you would leave behind. How many people would spend years, if not a lifetime, wishing somehow they could've saved you, wishing for anything JUST to have you there. Suicide may end one life, but it can truly destroy and traumatize those you leave behind.
    Definitely seek counseling thru any means necessary, and remember that by ending your life you basically snuff out any chance of anything ever getting better in the future. And speaking from experience, it WILL get better.

18. And it exploded

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Listen man. I was suicidal too at one point. In my experience what you need is something to vent your feelings into in order to better understand them. For me it was this insanely complicated story I made up with my freinds, but it could be anything. Stay strong and you always have us. ~cause that's the way I like to live my life, and I feel like everything's gonna be just fine~ sing it to yourself it's great lol. Holy shit I come off as so self centered in these "helpful" posts lord help us.

19. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If your alive you can win. If you die, then you will definitely lose. Your so young, you still have a lot of time to find happiness. It will be hard. But hard implies possible, while finding happiness in death is impossible.

#19 gibson234, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017