1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any K-pop/J-pop fans on here?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by lemons123, Jul 30, 2017.

1. lemons123

Hm for years I was more of a J-rock kinda person, but recently got more and more interested in K-Pop and to some extend J-Pop(...which seems less popular). Your thoughts? Is it popular among LGBTQers? 10x!

2. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Among many other genres, that is one I enjoy as well. Japanese rock is more popular than Korean rock. Korean pop is more popular (in a lot of cases) than Japanese pop. In my observation, at least. :slight_smile: My personal preference gravitates towards male artists in the genre, with a few women artists here and there.

3. lemons123

I agree...and it seems like many people share this view that jrock > krock and kpop >jpop.

I'm also willing to agree with what some people say that the current generation isn't good...I mean the 3/4 one gen. groups. The ones who does it for me are Bigbang, Gdragon, Beast...from the girls: 2NE1...Kara maybe. The new ones seem too havily focused on dancing and just energy but lack melody.

4. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    K-pop fan here. (Not very surprising considering that I'm Korean, lol). Big Bang are my favorite, along with BAP. I went to one of their concerts in Seoul a few years back.

5. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've dabbled in J-Rock, anime theme songs and am pretty familiar with vocaloid songs.

As for KPOP, BigBang and 2NE1 are timeless classics. 4Minute, AOA, EXID, AKMU, Kwill and Boa are a couple of my faves too. But I also really like miss A, lipservice, mamamoo, bts, exo, ikon, Monsta X and got7. Strangely, Twice, Pristin, IU, Seventeen, and NCT dream has started to grow on me. Unfortunately I've kinda had a fallout with Super Junior's and Shinee's music. I think one of the more underrated bands I enjoy are Boy's Republic

6. Heaux

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    me!
    i guess kpop is a little bit gender fluid, the aesthetic and beauty standards are ''feminine'' to western standards, colourful, expressive and the dances are timeless. Guys wear makeup and no one bats an eye, idols wear wacky, cute, chic, adventurous clothing...basically kpop is the whole lot, which tends to be quite popular amongst LGBT

i really only follow girl groups such as Exid, Gfriend, April, T-ara, Twice, mamamoo, red velvet, Dia, brave girls, apink, WJSN, laboum, Dreamcatcher, lovelyz, oh my girl just to name a few (not to mention all the old generation that disbanded like 2ne1 and 4minute bless them)

though im starting to grow fond of boy groups now, namely Astro, rookie group the east light (these boys are soooo young but are quite talented and refreshing from generic boy groups) NCT dream, seventeen, shinee.

as for j-pop, i followed morning musume and AKB48 for a while but listennnn, it was so hard to keep up. they had weird member changes with a ''graduation'' system. their media stuff on youtube are pretty off limits and closed off due to copyrights issue. cant really relate with jpop fans. there's not many concepts to choose from. so yeah i kind of stopped following jpop now.

#6 Heaux, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  7. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't listened to that much, but I've really been enjoying some J-Pop from the 80s and early 90s, especially Mariya Takeuchi. (If any of you know of her, some recommendations would be great!) I got into it through Japanese jazz fusion bands, namely Casiopea, on youtube.

8. lemons123

^ Seems like a good selection...with AOA my favorite was Choa from the girls but with her departure I'm losing interest in them, with Kwill and BoA I just have respect for the LGBT-themed song Kwill did and for the fact that Boa is one of the pioneers of Kpop.

WIth the rest you mention Bts and Got7 remain my favs, Boys republic may be more popular in western countries I guess but still can't find something to make me like them that much.

9. lemons123

I also don't quite get the whole "graduation" thing in AKB48 nor the fact that the group is made of like 100+ girls or how overly sexualized they're for kids under 19 or maybe under 18 0_0? With that being said UZA is still among my top 10 favorite songs and they have 4-5 other sounds I'd listen to from time to time.

E-girls/Happines seem to be doing fine by J-Pop standards...and I'm having a crush on Ruri Kawamoto (one of my top female crushes + Dara from 2NE1 or Nicole/Kara or Amber f(x). From the boys G-dragon of course he's no competition :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, Jakcson/Got7 seems ok too.

10. Heaux

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    E-girls is the only group probably I'm amazed by in j-pop, have you seen their dance videos? im blown away

11. Heaux

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you know Glam?
    they were a BTS sister group back in 2013 but disbanded due to a blackmail case. they made a song about LGBT, which was bold of them.

12. lemons123

Thanx for the videos...I didn't know GLAM. If I'm not mistaken SISTAR or Brown eyed girls had "LGBT" songs...well if you call fake lesbianism LGBT 0_0 lol. Bestie, another not too popular girl group had a song where the girls crush on some gay guys, the video depicts some a'la fake boy-boy smouches...

Yeah, E-Girls are good dancers, good competition to Blackpink dancingwise.

Thoughts on who the best dancing boy band is?
    I used to think GOT7 or Bap have he best moves but Bts kill me with this video (it may the visual effects though):

13. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with most of the male lead bands already listed. Some others I enjoy are some of JYJ and also JaeJoong's solo work (as well as a small handful of songs back when he was in TVXQ). Bi (Rain) is another. Both have terrific voices. EpiK High and their leader Tablo's solo work. Jaurim, although I don't think of them as K-Pop really.

14. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've also just gotten into Asian Kung Fu Generation, and they are AMAZING, though they don't really count.

15. Yumette

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm old, hahah, so it's been about fifteen years ago since I had my J-rock phase... I was introduced to that scene and to many bands by a girl I had befriended online. We were both into Japan and it was because of this mutual interest that we became friends. She soon moved to live in the same city as me due to her studies and, believe it or not, she actually knew Gackt, the popular Japanese star, and he would send her J-rock DVDs and CDs which she shared with me - we spent many entertaining hours watching and listening together while she had stories to tell. Anyway, I've always been more of a rock fan so the ultra poppy stuff never excited me... And I have no interest in the more recent mainstream music coming from Japan, just like I don't listen to new Western mainstream music, can't stand any of that stuff... I told you I'm old :wink: Oh, a few months back I discovered some AMAZING Japanese artists from the 70s and 80s on YouTube:

Hako Yamasaki, a female artist, whose record, Indigo Poetry, from 1977 is kind of folkish and pretty much flawless, can't get enough of it.
    Morita Doji, also a female artist, and I love her record called Mother Sky from 1976.

Nearly all of my favorite artists tend to be male and I do prefer male vocals, but Japan certainly had several great female singers (and songwriters) some forty years ago!

I also *have* to mention a Japanese male artist called Yutaka Ozaki, who was like a Japanese version of Bruce Springsteen back in the mid 80s and into the early 90s, until he tragically died at the tender age of 26 =ยด( An amazing, mesmerizing performer, singer, songwriter and just incredibly good-looking! I highly recommend checking out his music and live performance videos on YouTube...

As for Korea and their pop culture, I've never gotten into that scene, I just don't get it... There is ONE song, however, which I've come to like a lot and that is Mirotic by ugh... The YouTube video in my playlist has the band titled as TVXQ But yeah, it's the only K-pop song I've found myself to really like - and despite my age I will still get up and dance to it :smiley:

#15 Yumette, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  16. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually never listened to K-pop until this morning, when I heard Holiday by Girls' Generation. I loved it so much, and heard that they released an album today. I just finished listening to it once I started typing this. It was great.