1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The plan

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Searching1, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My husband and I just had a breakthrough beautiful morning paddle boarding on Lake Tahoe. We independently paddled soaking in the beauty quietly, jumped into the cold water, and experienced our moment of acceptance together. It has been a rough roller coaster this weekend with many tears. I went to bed feeling numb, confused and trapped. How would I ever know? How could I ever explore this without hurting him and risk making the wrong decision? I have been terrified of the possibility of realizing I am not gay and it being too late. Last night I was up thinking about things for a few hours. I suddenly got a warm peaceful rush burning in my chest that made me feel confident that I really am gay.. that this really is my path. We both woke up quiet and hurting with our likely future. That this was all real.

While paddle boarding he suddenly said he was thinking and had a plan if I was okay with it. We should just default decide that 3 months from now we will go on a break. The break will last 3-4 months and we will be free to date. We are under the assumption that we will divorce and we are done. But this would give me time to figure things out and make sure. He needs this assumption to give him closure. I need this closure to make sure this is right. Things feel pure, free, and relaxed. Although I am not positive what will happen, I am confident that if through this period of acceptance I still feel passionate about this after a few months, then it all must be real. I needed out of our crisis and every day roller coaster to give myself freedom to come to terms with things.

I laid there on the paddle board, soaking in the beauty, rocking to the waves, and just said over and over: I am free. I felt so liberated. My husband is letting me go. Now I can relax and make sure I still feel right about this.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Findingmyself1, I am so pleased for you :slight_smile:. Who knows what will happen, but whatever happens will be the right thing and thats the most important thing. Enjoy your freedom.

Searching1 likes this.
  3. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This sounds excellent! I'm so happy for you.

Searching1 likes this.
  4. zumbaqueen

I am really happy for you. It's great news that you have worked this out so you can be free to be who you are.

5. Rvnt

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This sounds great! I hope you also use this time to get out in the lesbian community, in addition to thinking things through. Guess I am also saying this because this is something I want to start doing again.

Searching1 likes this.
  6. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Findingmyself1 You have a great opportunity to discover who you are!
    Yes. I remember that doubting period thinking it might just all be in my head. Maybe for some people it is, and it sounds like for you, you have to find out.

Searching1 likes this.
  7. Lucky in Life

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, let me join the others in saying I am so, so happy for you and so admire both you and your husband for the caring way you arrived at your plan. So very glad you have found peace within yourself!

Searching1 likes this.
  8. leb10

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was so happy to read your post. Glad that some time away from home brought such clarity clarity and relief :slight_smile:

Searching1 likes this.
  9. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all so much ❤️ I feel the love and I am so grateful for all of the support.

Things have been very teary and heartbroken since earlier. He is 100% accepting that we are done though I am still holding onto the possibility of figuring out otherwise. I am still hanging on to hope of us. I was just telling him maybe we shift the mentality to just enjoying each other day by day without any hard expectations of what exactly will happen. But we can set a week of separating if I am still where I am three months from now.

Any advice as to what may be best for us? On one end I wonder if accepting the default of the future will allow for possibility of me realizing it is not right if it isn't meant to be. On the other hand, maybe hanging onto hope and just trying for the best for us will give us me an opportunity to be open. I just wonder if it will be too much of an up and down emotional confusing ride. I just feel like I need to keep an open heart.

10. MzMrAlexa

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Wow... That is Wonderful! And I have to say that even though you and your husband will most likely be getting divorced your post says a lot about the type of man your husband is and the level of caring, maturity and respect you both have for one another. I hope that no matter what you both can somehow manage to stay in touch and be friends.

Searching1 likes this.
  11. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you @MzMrAlexa. Yes he is an incredible person and we have so much love and respect for each other. It makes it all that much more difficult, but communicating so much throughout the process has been a help through this mess.

findingjoy and MzMrAlexa like this.
  12. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm glad you were able to come to some sort of breakthrough that you both feel comfortable with.

Searching1 likes this.
  13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy for you too. Glad to read that you've got more clarity and are working things through with your husband.

Searching1 likes this.
  14. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wow such a beautiful post, and milestone. so happy for you.

Searching1 likes this.
  15. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking about what you wrote:
    I remember getting this exact same feeling. Like nothing I have ever felt. It didn't make any sense, I didn't want to be gay and pursuing it meant turning my life upside down and none of it for the positive. Why did it feel so good to just accept that I was gay?
    So many people who have come out here describe the same feeling - warmth, freedom, a sense of happiness like nothing they've ever felt.
    But what if it is just a 'feeling' and can you trust it?
    Reading posts here and seeing so many go through the same thoughts and feelings made me realize we were sharing the same experience.

NeonSocks, Lucky in Life and leb10 like this.
  16. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So interesting, @findingjoy. Yeah the warm peace is almost like a connection to the inner self. Like a soul realization. It's at least the second time that's suddenly happened (the first time started this whole process). I'm not sure how many more signs I will need to fully accept this. It is so incredibly hard to really know! As you said.. just feelings.

Lucky in Life likes this.
  17. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In case there is any misconception that my husband and I are handling this beautifully and eloquently.. it all is messy and it all sucks. He cries randomly at any point and I hold him, tell him I love him, and feel sucked of all emotion. I feel such a responsibility for his pain. I feel guilt for this all and know all of our families would be devastated. He still tells me in tears all he wants is to take care of me and have another baby or two and live our sweet life. I am ripping this all away from him.

Those are the bad moments. There are also very composed reasonable conversations about our plan and the next few months, but he is still just hurting so much. I am constantly praying and begging for a sign, a slap in the face that this is all wrong if it is not meant to be. This is the path we are wrong and if I don't get some sudden realization soon that I am not gay and all I need is my husband, then it will be too late. It all is just so heart wrenching.

18. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still think you're both handling this well. It's going to be an emotional and bumpy process for both of you.

I'm sorry that you're feeling the weight of all this. It's normal to grieve for the loss of the future you'd planned together, but knowing what you do now, would you be able to give him that future anyway?

I hope things start to feel better soon. Hugs.

Searching1 likes this.
  19. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your opening post sounded so happy and positive, so never forget that you and you husband have had these positive times as you work towards a different future than the one you envisaged. I doubt there's many people who wouldn't also feel the hurt and confusion and fear in these circumstances. It's natural to move around the emotions like this, and I think over time the positive will gently move in on the negative. I know through my own marriage split and divorce that it takes time to move into a different life and be happy again. Until I did manage my emotions were up, down and all over the place!

Searching1 and LostInDaydreams like this.
  20. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, @LostInDaydreams. It really is a difficult process especially because I care so much about him. If I feel exactly the same way a few months from now, or even a few years from now if I fought through it to stay, no would not be able to. I guess I'm just giving it time to see if anything changes. I still just don't trust myself and my feelings. I still am scared I have just gone crazy or connived myself because I want an out. I know that's dumb and not likely, but I'm so scared of making a mistake.

@Silverbirch I totally agree. Everything I have heard and read, emotions go in waves and doubt is part of the process. I know that if I continue this route the good feelings would eventually outweigh the bad ones. It may take longer for him, but we are both going through our own journeys of grief and self exploration.