1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a word for this?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by spaghetti0, Jul 28, 2017.

1. spaghetti0

spaghetti0 Guest

I would like to start by saying that I know labels can be bad. But they can also be very helpful, because it can be relieving to know the word for how you feel.

Anyway, I feel comfortable in my male body. However, I feel that I would also be comfortable as a female. I have no serious desire to transition because I'm fine with how I am now, but if I woke up female one day, it wouldn't bother me at all.

Is that a thing? Does anyone else feel the same way?

2. MouthofMadness7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Idk but it does sound similar to the whole genderfluid thing. If I were you, I would look into more.

3. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly I've seen a fair amount of cis people say that same idea, so I don't think it's totally out of the ordinary for a cis person to feel that way, don't think it needs it's own label.

4. spaghetti0

spaghetti0 Guest

fair enough.

5. matty79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In the past I think I would have totally agreed with you, like all these labels are so stupid, everyone will have their own special label one day, but now I'm not so sure.

When I read about gender being a spectrum it makes sense that there will be people who fall close to the middle and find their brain is moving one way or the other on a given day.

To the OP, I feel much as you, I don't have a problem with being a male, but sometimes I want to express myself as a female.

6. maverick1

I have days where I wished I was a woman. I love cross dressing

7. MStream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree there's sometimes a value to labels. Not only can they help offer some clarity sometimes, they can make it easier to communicate about yourself and to connect. (Not that there aren't problems with labels, too.)

Here are some labels that might be helpful (or not)! I'll just talk about male/female stuff, but it's possible for agender or other genders to be in the mix.

You might be open to different gender experiences but not strongly enough affected for it to matter. In this case I don't think there's anything wrong with calling yourself cis.

You might feel like your gender isn't really nailed down, that it could be 80% male one day and 80% female the next and 50/50% the next and 100% male the next. "Genderfluid" is probably the most on-target term for this.

You might feel that you shift back and forth between mainly (or entirely) male and mainly (or entirely) female. (That describes me.) "Bi-gender" is probably the best term for this. "Bi-gender" can also mean that you experience a combination of two genders, whether that combination is the same every day or shifts back and forth. There's some overlap between some definitions of "bi-gender" and "gender fluid."

There are other terms we could talk about, but those are probably the most applicable.

I hope you don't mind me being picky about this, but if you have a male gender identity and present sometimes as a female (or vice-versa), then it's crossdressing. If your gender identity actually changes, though, then it's not cross-dressing: you're dressing as the gender you actually are, and anatomy is kind of beside the point.

RioQ likes this.