1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one here who only believes in 2 genders?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wolfwing, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure I would say I don't believe it because I can't really say for sure whether there are or aren't only 2 genders. And frankly, I don't really feel it's my place to say definitively in the matter.
    However, I do find it hard to understand how there can be more than 2 genders. Quoting others in this thread, we've grown up being taught there are only 2, so hearing information that there are more than 2 can be a little hard to wrap your head around, especially when you're not the one experiencing the dysphoria or confusion about yourself. There are so many different gender expressions now though, it does sometimes get kind of hard to keep up :confused:
    I have no issues with individuals who identify as other genders. I just want to put that out there. It just gets a little confusing.

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm more skeptic than anything. I have yet to find a non-binary person give a convincing explanation for their identity. It's mostly just regarding gender expression, which has nothing to do with gender identity. I would respect a person's pronouns and all that, but I would still question it in my head.

3. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I would say that I believe that there are only two genders. I guess that this is mostly due to the fact that it makes "binary" transgender stuff a lot easier to understand since you can base the whole thing on science.

I can sort of understand it in the context of gender being how a person interacts within a society. As such an agender person would wish to be perceived as genderless by others and a genderfluid person would change their desired perception with time.
    This, however, brings some complications as it is very difficult if not impossible to accomplish this kind of social standing as a non binary person, simply because the biological wires in our brain prevent us from perceiving a person that way.

I think that non binary genders can be a great resting point for people who are questioning but can also lead to even greater confusion for that person.

I can also see how misalignment with gender roles could leave a person rejecting or feeling alienated from their own gender.

Despite all this I will absolutely respect if a person chooses to identify that way.

4. Souleater

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd say stick to whats in a biology book. I think its really weird how People seperate gender from sex. In my native language (German) there is only one word for that and its called "Geschlecht"; Thats it. And really, nobody has even dared to question the binary standard that science has established. Not that I know of anybody at least.

To base gender or sex on psychology gets you all fucked up results because it is so subjective. Biology however is not.

But thats just my opinion.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a host of German words that can get you past that linguistic hurdle such as „Zwittertum" (intersexism/androgyny) and qualifiying sex by saying „biologisches/physiologisches Geschlecht" (biological/physiological sex) as opposed to „psychologisches Geschlecht" (psychological sex). There are plenty of German gender theorists and the German language is certainly more flexible in distinguishing the two than many others, even if it is harder than it is in English.

Biology is deeply interlinked with psychology - biology has to extend beyond the most basic levels of physiology (as in chromosones and an analysis of nothing further than reproductive systems) if it is to explain the causes of a number of social phenomena, among them being transgender and the psychological cues sparked by gender perceptions. Intuitively there is a significant link between the biological sex you're keen on preserving as our definitional grounding and social/psychological behaviours - but it has to be proved in a more substantial way than mere assertion or cutting out any exceptions to the rule. Acknowledging that and allowing biology and psychology to intersect to understand gender is probably more helpful than shutting down any further psychological study as too subjective.

And even if it's all wrong and we somehow end up finding a definitive biological link to psychological gender that proves non-binary people are merely confused (and that would be a pretty big finding in understanding gender psychology in relation to biology), then splitting up physiological and psychological concepts of gender could still be very helpful in understanding why we perceive gender the way we do - especially in regards to transgender people.

6. Souleater

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Zwittertum... yes but you forget that there are animals that have both gender, like snails and its mostly used to describe those animals.

Have you ever heard the phrase that you should never base an decision on feelings? I think thats really important because an emotionless decision is more commonly the better option. So I dont think that science, one of the most objective things humans ever came up with besides computers, should be based on feelings. I should rather be based on cold hard evidence which I just dont see in defining gender by psychology. I mean to each their own and i want to clarify that i will not go out of my way to hate on somebody just because of their opinions and decisions because i just dont care about it, however I think that as the common ground we should state what is most objective which is that there are only two genders. Everybody can add their own little snippets ob subjectivity to it, but i think that the accepted truth should be thing that is based in objectivity and somebodies individual feelings.

7. apoeslo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It all depends on how you define gender. If you attach gender to traditional characteristics and societal roles of men and women, then yes, gender is infinite and exists on a spectrum because then it's basically the same as a person's personality. If you define gender by genitalia, then yes, there are a finite number of genders. A lot of people say that estrogen and testosterone are why gender exists on a spectrum, because people have them in different ratios. I just see it as something that can potentially affect your personality and that men are simply more prone to high testosterone levels and women are more prone to high estrogen. 2 genders, infinite personalities. Your gender can affect your personality but certainly does not define it.

8. spaghetti0

spaghetti0 Guest

I believe that there are two biological genders, XY(male) and XX(female). Of course, gender identity doesn't always align with biological gender, that's what gender dysphoria is. Some people identify with the opposite gender, some people's identity changes, and some people don't identify with either.

And that's okay.

9. MaybeBenji

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't understand it, thankfully I'm binary, but whatever people want to be if fine. Where I draw the line is people claiming to be transage or transrace (I know it's mainly a meme but there are people out there) because that invalidates transpeople and makes us all look bad. I also dislike people who claim to be transgender but are not (the social justice type) because that also makes actual transpeople look crazy because we get grouped in with people making ridiculous claims.
    (here comes the "im not ignorant" claim)
    I have a friend who is agender (AFAB but prefers he/him) and I don't get it but I guess that makes me lucky. I'm glad I don't understand the pain of being neither. So i just do whatever I can to make him more comfortable.

10. Peryite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I do not understand it, nor do I care to.

Just dont force it down my throat, then be as weird as you want

11. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still haven't come across any convincing argument for non binary, to me, it still largely comes across as "I'm not like the other girls/boys" and simply a superficial label. It is rooted deeply in gender roles versus one's relation with their biological sex, which is what transgenderism stems from, the discomfort of. Also, I see it used for people who aren’t ready to accept they are transgender, or have not yet fully realized it, may find it easier to go from seeing themselves as their birth sex to seeing themselves as being somewhere inbetween sexes, a little of both, or neither, before being ready to make the full leap to the opposite sex. But I think it creates more confusion overall.

12. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a newbie to all of this and I'm still learning all of the possibilities that are out there. I've only come out to myself just a few years ago. Physiologically there are only two genders, unless you're born with both. I do feel that there is a spectrum between male and female, not only for your sexuality (like me.) but also for gender. How would you quantify that, it's a feeling not a physical manifestation. Yes, we're brought up to recognize only two genders but with so many people realizing that they don't fit into either then I don't see a problem with validating that it is true. Like a lot of people say bisexuals are confused (we're not) and neither are non-binaries.

13. Destroyed

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea about the different genders, still wont judge cause am ignorant on what its all based on. I guess as the future is coming, everyone can be who they feel they are inside. I always imagine in millenias to come, we will even have people having the power to augment there bodies into whatever, to adapt into space conditions, for fun etc Maybe having both genitals for some will be an option etc
    Everyone should have the freedom to be whatever, as long as its their true authentic self.

14. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally don't understand how anyone can feel like a gender, when being male or female is mostly a physical thing. Yes, I do believe binary trans people exist, but even that is based more on physical traits- the body feels off or makes them uncomfortable so they want to change it.

Even if we completely deleted gender roles and made it so there was no difference between men and women- trans people would still exist. We would still be born with different genitals and hormones that cause dysphoria no matter what the society is.

I'm a woman but I don't know what a woman feels like. I don't relate to most women's experience, but it doesn't mean I'm a totally different gender all together. I don't like dresses, make up, girly roles, being submissive, and any of that. But I'm not a different gender, and I'd rather get rid of society's sexism than saying I'm something else.

15. yayforthelgbt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't know if anyone has talked about this yet but one of the mains causes of being transgender/transsexual proposed (in science) has to do with neurology. Even though a trans man may have female sex characteristics, for instance, they neurologically are male and hence experience gender dysphoria. So, even though non-binary transgender identity has yet to be evaluated scientifically, unlike binary transgender identity, since science recognizes that the physical body can naturally manifest physical ambiguity of sex (e.g. Intersex), one can speculate that non-binary people might be neurologically intersex.

#55 yayforthelgbt, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, it's pretty uncommon, even (especially?) in the LGBT community (unfortunately).