1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaydar stories?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sethrowe, Oct 24, 2011.

1. blightedsight

Seems to me that gaydar is a fallacy. You can't tell how a person likes their sex based on immediate observation...unless of course you're talking about understanding body language and I really don't think the amount of people that profess to have "gaydar" are that good at reading body language.

No, what people mistake for gaydar is actually a combination of factors.
    1) Plain simple stereotypes. Everyone knows what those stereotypes are and often those stereotypes have some basis in reality.
    2) Probablity. The probablity of someone being LGBT(MNOPQRSUVWXYZ) is actually quite high when considering large groups. If you're in a classroom of, say, 30 people and you discount yourself, you're still likely to have 1 or 2 people who enjoy their carnality with the same sex.
    3) Luck and amnesia. While I am sure I'll get alot of "no, I only think certain people are gay and they turn out to be" type comments, the simple truth is, you, as an LGBT(MNOPQRSUVWXYZ) will consider alot more people to be actually gay/bisexual/other BUT only the ones that you have confirmed as gay/bisexual/other, will register as an accurate "gaydar" assessment.
    4) Wishful thinking. We all want certain people to be gay/bisexual/other for whatever reason, it's just coincidence that, then, some of them are.

I am quite sure that alot of people will disagree with me, but, yeah, "gaydar" is a myth and what is actually occurring is the combination above happening all at once...which I suppose could be called "Gaydar" itself, but that isn't what most people think it is.

Note: Noticing a boy check out another boy's bottom is not "gaydar" it is merely noticing.

2. needshelp

3. Zor616

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say
    yes, it says on ur profile......

4. Soshiyaki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Kind of a long story.

I met this guy in eighth grade and we became really good friends, so of course me being the newbie, he introduced me to his two other female friends and we all hit it off really well.

Okay, so I always somehow knew that he was gay, like it was completely obvious to me so I was surprised his friends had no idea. I'm guilty for outing him to his friends but honestly, I don't know how they didn't suspect a single thing. The funny thing is those two girls shipped him and I together, and they wanted us to date and EVERYONE in eighth grade thought we were dating. So of course I defended myself but did that do anything? Nope. It was just plain frustrating because I viewed him as one of my closest friends and yet people teased us like:

''What? You guys aren't dating? It's totally obvious.''
    ''Can't believe you guys aren't bf/gf, you act like a couple''

His two friends even tried convincing me that he had a crush on me, they made these love notes and put them in my locker, telling me it's from him. It was beyond irritating honestly. OH, and I forgot to mention that I wasn't aware of my sexuality at the time, so I identified as straight until I fell for my straight best friend in NINTH grade but that's another story. So yeah, I never viewed him in a romantic way, yeah we were playful but I swear 100% we harbored no serious feelings for each other. It was funny, they even had a ship name for us and apparently, a lot of people were rooting for us.

5. Heaux

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    my gaydar is so bad, i can only recognise gays who are very feminine. sometimes i even mistake camp boys for being gay but they're straight. So if they're not even flamboyant, i dont think i'd even guess, i'd just assume they are straight.

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine's not half bad. No funny stories though.

7. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Generally, most of the time, I know if other guys are straight or not after being around them just because you can follow their eyes. Personally, I don't know how it can work, but there are some friends I have that claim they can tell just by listening to people talk.

Couldn't he be bisexual? And how does the "how he talked" thing even work?

Can people teach gaydar? It would be quite helpful lmao.

#67 Humbly Me, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
  8. Justinian20

I feel like I have a moderately good gaydar, I can definitely tell with certain males whether they are gay.

But I will admit I kind of don't trust my gaydar too much, so I just assume everyone is straight even if my "gaydar" says otherwise.

A gaydar story here, I was on the bus and some guys were like sleeping at the back of the bus and I was sitting near them, now I thought the guys legs were really hot and I basically whispered to myself, "I hope he's gay." Then he wakes up and him and his friend start talking to me, I'm like "What, people are trying to talk to me?" So I turned off my music and we started talking and then his friend asked me, "If I would date him, if I was gay." So I knew their gaydar sucked and I basically corrected them by saying, "I'm actually gay and yeah I would go out on a date with him."

9. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    lmao.

10. swimmingfly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i'm really good at sensing bisexuality. my friend started dating this guy and she sent me a picture of him and i was like "he's bi" and she was like "how did you know that??" you could say that my bi-fi signal is strong. my gaydar is good with gay guys too but i can never tell with other lesbians, probably because i don't really fit a lot of lesbian stereotypes myself

11. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think mine is very good, but it works more in an unconscious way. Since I was a kid, I've been instinctively drawn to gay people. I always find myself around gay people and I often don't really realize they are gay until someone suspects him/her or if they tell me. If I'm at a party with a lot of people, those I end up chatting with almost always turn out to be gay. Until not so long ago, I still thought I was straight and was looking out for guys, and all the guys that caught my attention and that I tried to flirt with all turned out gay (literally ALL of them).

12. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry... my gaydar is broken LOL

13. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is my story:
    1) developing a tiiiny tiny gaydar
    2) throwing it away (like smashing a clock) because "no, it must be all stereotypes"
    3) not realizing someone is gay unless they in person explicitly tell me "hey, I have a boyfriend/girlfriend"
    4) not realizing that I'm courting someone while everyone in my environment probably thinks I'm flirting (self-gaydar fail xD)
    5) trying to build a gaydar again as I come out to myself and others
    6) realizing that I'm really not a woman but, due to my gaydar, now I'm attracted to women that "look queer" who soon will be off-limits for me

14. Koizee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My gaydar hasn't failed yet!
    Normally someone's coming out ends with me yelling "I FUCKING knew it!!"

#74 Koizee, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  15. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really notice much unless it's pointed out to me, but there is one thing that that all worked. Pretty much half my family thinks my cousin is transgender. She always wears guy's clothes and is upset if she can't, and according to my mom, was oddly uncomfortable when the concept of being transgender was brought up, as if she was in denial. It all makes sense to me, but I say wait and see what happens.

16. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Am I the only one who doesn't believe in gay dar?

I've always been surprised to learn someone is LGBT (only time I wasn't was with a female relative that looked super butch, but even that was a stereotype). No one has ever read me as gay before, not even people in our community. I guess I don't look gay, but I also don't fit the LGBT image (I have a lot of conservative values, although they don't relate to same-sex attraction)

17. trisb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i don't think my gaydar is working very well. can never quite tell but maybe because i don't really wonder/care too much about the sexuality aspect of people.

18. trisb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    on the other hand, people have guessed correctly my sexuality. they are straight folks with a gaydar which works better than mine =D