1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date a teetotaler?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes but they have to be okay with me having a drink once in a while.

2. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a teetotaler (what a funny word) myself. And trust me, it is extremely rare to find one in a country with the highest beer consumption per capita in the world. I would be glad if I could date another teetotaler, and I wouldn't like to date someone who drinks too much, and occasional drinking I don't mind.

3. Loves books

I don't drink. I don't have a problem with drink ,or people who do drink,I just hate the taste of alcohol. Which doesn't stop members of my extended family from offering me alcohol or thinking it's unusual. I come from a country where the only way to drink is to binge drink and every town including the small ones have about ten pubs. It's not fun being the sober person in a room full of drunk people. I prefer staying in.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you from Ireland?

5. Tibby T

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't see why it would be a problem, sure I would.

6. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why would I have a problem with that? I don't care about that.

7. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in highschool, so the only people that I know that drink are either adults or idiots. If I were old enough to drink, I'd like to think that it would be rather infrequent, and I absolutely wouldn't mind dating a teetotaler. In fact, I applaud the teetotalers of the world, for having the strength to forgo drink even though so much of society is built around alcohol

8. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer people who don't drink as well honestly. It gets tiring always being the designated driver and I would prefer not having to deal with that whole mess.

9. Justinian20

I only have alcohol on special occasions and because I normally drink cocktails whenever I do drink, I drink in extreme moderation, so I'll probably only have a single cocktail with my future boyfriend if he wants one.

10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to drink for all the wrong reasons. I'm also not a fan of the clubbing and getting completely wasted life.

So besides missing a few pub nights with me every few months, it wouldn't be a big issue at all.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly I used to hate alcohol and disliked when people drank, until I drank it myself. It just relaxes me, makes me sleepy, but also more chatty and sometimes frisky. I don't usually have more than one drink. It can be kind of a fun social thing or escape to have a drink with a friend. That said, I don't think I would have a big problem with someone who doesn't have an occasional drink. It wouldn't be a big deal, but it's not ideal. I'd have less of a problem with someone who chooses not to drink than someone who stopped drinking because they were an alcoholic. I'd feel fine drinking around the former but not the later. It's definitely not a deal breaker.

Something I found funny was a quote from this anime I watched: "Oh, us adults are always in pain. That's why we're allowed to drink alcohol."

12. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never had alcohol in my life, and I intend to keep it that way. I don't find either the scent or the observed behavior of others enticing.

It probably doesn't help my depression, but likely helps me retain a reasonable nature, which is something I strive for.

I'd personally prefer if I had a partner who felt similarly, but such is improbable and not an absolute necessity.

13. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right now, I drink about twice a year, so I don't think it'd be a big loss, especially if they still let me drink. I wouldn't really care, to be honest.

14. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like Scotch and don't mind having a drink or two to set the mood or ease the initial tensions when meeting a potential partner
    Like the majority view in this thread if you are an alcoholic/habitual drunkard your chances of being with me are basically non-existent.

15. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BTW, despite my initial reply, I am not 100% teetotal. However, I usually only drink very low alcohol content drinks, like wine coolers, and usually only on special occasions. This is because I HATE being drunk, and want to keep the risk of it happening as low as possible. I also do not like intoxication in others that happens frequently, so It's more the frequent intoxication that's a dealbreaker than the alcohol itself.

I know a few 'drinkers' that have never gotten drunk once, or do so very rarely, so I would be fine with those people. Once you have the party "trashed" mindset, or actual alcoholic problems, it becomes a dealbreaker.

#35 Creativemind, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  16. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've just turned twenty one (drinking age here is eighteen), and I've never been drunk.

I'm a uni student, and as such it's almost expected of me to consume borderline dangerous amounts of alcohol on a weekly basis - and yet I've never even had enough to feel tipsy.

I don't know why anyone would make a big deal out of not drinking, and as others have said, if someone was the sort of person to be unaccepting of teetotality (which I hope is a real word, because it sounds cool), then I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with them, as that is something that would likely come up a lot - peer pressure is annoying at the best of times, but would be really crappy from a partner.

17. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am kind of a hoarder regarding alcohol -- I have a sizable collection of drinks at home. I don't drink often (and I've rarely been really drunk) but I like pretty much everything.

I'd be OK with it as long as (s)he is OK with my taste for alcoholic beverages. The same applies to any dietary restriction: I'm fully OK with it if the other person is, say, a vegan, or doesn't eat gluten (not talking about celiacs here), or whatever, as long as (s)he doesn't try to stop me from eating meat or bread.

18. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I was actually interested in dating? Sure. Me, personally, I like getting intoxicated sometimes (especially when writing), but if the person I was hypothetically interested in dating wasn't, that's OK. Whether or not someone drinks or not is a dumb reason to not date someone. Just as long as they don't lecture me over my occasional desire to not be sober, we're good.

19. Peripuff

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't plan on drinking, ever, but I would be fine if a hypothetical future partner of mine did, it is a matter of choice in the end.

20. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't drink, but I don't really have a problem with people who do, so it wouldn't matter to me either way.