1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips on exercise?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by skittlz, Jul 12, 2017.

1. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey,
    Right now, since it's summer, I thought it would be a good time to try to make an effort with being more active. This year especially, I have not been exercising as much, and I've felt more sluggish. I've been considering yoga, taekwondo, dancing, and weight training. I have tried some of these things more leisurely in the past. (taking classes, doing activities at school) But with weight training especially, I'm very wary of getting myself injured. The largest problem I have is finding motivation to continue exercising. Two, I don't have much money or a car. (I live in the suburbs) Three, I want to meet people, but I'm shy. Any advice?

2. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I always had the same struggle to find motivation to keep going, but I think you just need to find THE right sport for you. For me it's rock climbing, one of my friend introduced me to this 3 years ago, and I'm a complete addict now. It's the only sport ever that saw my interest growing constantly instead of declining with time :slight_smile:

Try some stuff out, you'll see what catches your interest the most! :slight_smile:

skittlz and iliketolift1 like this.
  3. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Like Islanzadi said, once you find the right sport it becomes and addiction. For me it's weightlifting! If you are gonna weightlift or powerlift there are many small gyms which are cheap as heck to go to and have awesome communities. I think 85% of my friends were made at my gym. Plus having people you look forward to seeing is great motivation to keep training! Having a small garage gym is always and option too. Sometimes gyms that are shutting down will sell their equipment to the public for really cheap. I usually follow and hear about all of this on Social medias so I suggest looking there to see what's going on in your area! Also, statistic wise weight training is one of the safest activities to participate in! It just has a bad rap cause people are uneducated on the culture and sport.

Hope you find something you enjoy and I hope this reply actually helped XP

Shorthaul and skittlz like this.
  4. Really

Are there any sporty activity meetups in your area? Ones aimed at women only? They're quite fun and some of them are pretty regular so can help to keep you going.

Whatever you do, I would suggest not pushing yourself too hard at the beginning. Keep it nice and steady until you've developed some proficiency. And ask for help if you need tips on your form. I've found the people in the groups I've joined very open and willing to give pointers.

Let us know if you find anything. :}

skittlz likes this.
  5. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Something you could also consider is calisthenics, or body-weight exercises, if you can't afford gym memberships or equipment. I largely do these three days a week since I can't afford either of the previous options at the moment. You can do them just about anywhere and don't need any equipment to do them. The only downside is that you won't develop strength or muscle mass as quickly as with using weights. Also, since you're using your own body weight for resistance, you'll eventually plateau at some point.

Another option is jogging. All you need is a decent pair of athletic shoes and appropriate clothing.

If you have neighbors you're friendly with, you could ask around and see if anyone needs an exercise buddy.

skittlz likes this.
  6. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you guys for all of the advice! :grin:
    I think I'll try doing calisthenics first, while I look for a group to hang out with!

7. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's awesome! One of my friends does calisthenics, he can do a pull up with 60 extra kilograms added and dips with 100kg added, it absolutely mental! Maybe you will get sucked into the same community as him lol. Calisthenics humans are strong as hell.

skittlz likes this.
  8. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem.:thumbsup:

skittlz likes this.
  9. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    watch yoga on youtube and follow nice and cheap and can do at home. If you have the money buy some weights but keep them light. this will allow you to work on ur form before you go heavier. Plus lighter will be better for you if your worried about hurting yourself. If you know anyone who can workout with you this will help with motivation, when your not feeling it they will give you a boast and the other way round. Plus having someone who will be there for you they will be able to in point any mistakes you are making while using weights.

skittlz likes this.
  10. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You could join a lgbt softball team. I was at a lgbt festival last week and almost got recruited to play. I just don't have enough time in my life right now. It did sound appealing mostly because I would be around gay women but then a part of me remembered the trauma that was little league, I was afraid of the ball.

skittlz likes this.
  11. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, so yesterday I tried doing a workout....I forgot about DOMS. Needless to say I now have a very sore butt. :dizzy_face:Which is kinda funny because I swear I was going to have very sore arms? But no, luckily they don't feel sore...yet?

I think next time, I'll try icing after a workout. I've haven't tried this before, but it was recommended by google. I guess since I'm just starting out, the DOMS would be more apparent. But do you guys have any tips to prevent/relief DOMS? (preferably no painkillers though)

dreamingfreely likes this.
  12. Really

I would suggest a bit of warmup beforehand and some stretching afterwards. Besides a day of rest in between, try less weight the next workout before working your way back up.
    Well done!

13. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

I have been training for 2 years now. Unless I switch up my program immensely I no longer feel sore. If you stick to the same types of workout you generally will no longer feel sore as time progresses. Like you said. Since you are new you are going to feel a bit sorer that most. As for preventing the soreness I recommend foam rolling then a dynamic stretch routine before. After the workout to cool down do a static stretch routine. I can not say enough how important stretching is. I usually stretch for 20mins before and after. For foam rolling start out with a softer roller until you get used to it. Sometimes there is bruising but dont worry! Once normal foam rollers dont seems to relax your muscles I suggest a rumble roller (boy oh boy is it painful!) it really targets tight muscles well. Even that one is not hard enough for me now so I have switched to foam rolling with a metal bar XD (dont try this at home kids!). Voodoo floss is lovely as well for relieving aches and pains (no actuall voodoo magic involved, it looks like a huge rubber band!).

skittlz likes this.
  14. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You have to stretch before and after your workout. After, it's important that you do it while your muscles are still all warmed up. I think you should consider ice only if it still hurts like crap 2-3 days after, but if that's the case, maybe you went a bit too hard. The next day should be the worst, and it should start to get better on the second day already.

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like you have a good start so that's great! Other ideas I had were looking on Craigslist if you ever want to get some equipment. Possibly free stuff people no longer want. Lots of videos on youtube for at home workouts, Tom Daley has some good ones. Of course I like watching his vids as a gay guy so maybe they won't appeal to you as much, haha. I made a suspension gym from ratchet straps, some handles and hooks in the basement which is great for lots of body weight exercises that can be very challenging. Jog to a local park and play around on the jungle gym or find long sets of stairs or hills to jog up and down. Maybe a local pool has open swimming that doesn't cost too much. That's one I keep meaning to investigate. There are lots of meetup groups in the metro area too. Good luck whatever you do and have fun!

skittlz likes this.
  16. Cocumber

SImple house hold work will do,

17. Koizee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice, I tried rock climbing once, but got paralyzed from my fear of heights (well more like fear of falling but you know) :/

18. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Huh...isn't there someone on the ground to help anchor you so you don't fall? (But then again, the last time I went rock climbing I was 8 so....)

19. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! I recently started to try swimming again since I have time to go during the times they set up lap swimming lanes :slight_smile:

20. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took your advice with dynamic stretching early on, and it really helped with soreness :slight_smile:
    Yesterday, I went and got a travel size foam roller. It's not really soft, but from first impression, using it is very soothing. Especially for the back :grin:

iliketolift1 likes this.