1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't sleep.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by iliketolift1, Jul 22, 2017.

1. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys!

Since summer started my sleeping schedule is so messed up. I go to bed at around 5 am and wake up at 10-11 am. On top of this I do heavy physical activity everyday. I'm worried that the lack of sleep mixed with a ton of exercise is going to mess me up. Is this enough sleep? How do I fall asleep earlier (when I wasn't on summer break I would go to bed at around 11pm because I would get home at 10 and be super tuckered out). Is it normal for a 16 year old to have sleeping patterns like this?

No matter how hard I try I can't seem to fall asleep. Yesterday I went to bed at 8:30 am and woke up at 12:00. The weird thing is it doesn't seem to make me feel any better or worse. Input on tips on how to fall asleep like a normal human would be immensely appreciated!

2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sleep schedule is hyper crazy...

I can force myself to sleep out of sheer will power, but I don't get much rest that way. So instead I just let myself sleep when I want. Some days I sleep normally, some I got to be at 9:30 am and wake up at 6:30 pm... Which, oddly, I think is the natural state of my sleeping. I think I have a disorder that causes sunlight to make me want to sleep.

#2 Humbly Me, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2017
  3. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel you, it's 5 am now and the sun is shining. Haven't slept yet. My only problem is my schedule is so full I need to be up during the day. Usually by 10am my mom is banging on my bedroom door for me to get up (I need to fix my sleeping schedule before school because then she will be banging on my door at 6:30am! I have skipped school once before because I couldn't wake up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). My brain gets too active at night I think. I always have a lot on my mind.

4. Loves books

I function better on a nocturnal schedule and no matter how hard I try to stay on a daytime schedule it always reverses. I wouldn't mind if my parents stopped saying they will get rid of my dog if I'm not up during the day.

5. J4yy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have t
    I have the same issue. I found some all natural drops called Relaxing Sleep that seemed to help a lot. A main thing is to turn off your tv/phone/laptop etc as the blue light keeps your brain alert. Try reading a book before bed? Hopefully you can find something that helps.

iliketolift1 likes this.
  6. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Blue light makes me tired. Like it seriously makes me sleepy to watch my phone. I typically use EC as a way to fall asleep.

7. J4yy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You probably trained yourself to do that by accident. A lot of people can do that, that's why they fall asleep watching tv. However for the common person, blue light keeps them up or makes it so they dont get a full sleep cycle if they keep their tv/laptops on.

8. Lindsey23

I've had sleeping issues too lately and there are a few things that helped me. Some advice I read online was to stop trying to fall asleep and instead try to relax. So now every night before bed I write in a journal while drinking tea. The tea makes me sleepy and I get all those nagging thoughts out of my head by writing them down. It's calming.

Also, ask your doctor if you can take melatonin. It's a natural hormone that helps you sleep. Some people can't take it though so it's really important to ask a doctor first. And a warning if you do take it, do not go on the computer after. What others have said about the light is true, it wakes you up and will cancel out the benefits of the melatonin. That's been my experience anyway.

iliketolift1 and J4yy like this.
  9. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe, but I sit on a yoga ball instead of a chair so I can never fall asleep at the computer / tv.

10. SnowyOwl

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same. My sleep schedule is kind of ok at the moment, because I need to get up early for work every morning anyway, or I'll get fired (I have to force myself to get up, and I usually set 10 alarms on my phone, all within 2 minutes of each other, as well as setting my very loud alarm clock to at least an hour before I need to leave the house, which I then put at the other end of my bedroom, so I'm forced to get out of bed to turn it off).

I've been to see a doctor about this, and I was prescribed some Zimovane, but all it did was make me feel more sleepy... the problem is I find it difficult to actually fall asleep at night, and sometimes I don't get to sleep until around 3 or 4am (if I don't absolutely have to be up early the next morning). The Zimovane didn't help with that at all, it just made me feel more drowsy in the morning.

When I went to see the doctor about this, he seemed to think I was being affected more by depression and anxiety, so that might explain things a bit? I'm still waiting to be prescribed medication (long story short, I'm out of the city for work and I was put on a waiting list), so I don't know if antidepressants will help my sleep schedule at all; so I don't really have much to say about that, sorry. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

11. swimmingfly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ME TOO LYDIA I'VE BEEN AWAKE FOR 30 HOURS STRAIGHT AT THIS POINT. I HAVE NOT SLEPT IN 30 HOURS

12. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh snap!!!!! SLEEP CHILD!!!!! XD

I went to bed at 5 am today XP

13. swimmingfly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am currently at 35.5 hours without sleep *laughs to hide pain* also i just worked a 5 hour shift at work

iliketolift1 likes this.