1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masculine lesbian, or transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Magma wolf, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Magma wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone. This is my first post here so I'm so sorry if this is right. But I'm getting a bit desprite. For the past year I've been questioning my gender. I've always been female and I'm usually ok with it, as far as I know. But there's always those little elements that have stood out:

- as a kid I'd always pretend to be the big heroic males
    - whenever I cosplay, I lean towards the male character
    - I don't like it when people help me out, rather than my brother
    - I also hate it when people call me pretty, missy, or little miss.. it sounds so feminine and fragile
    - I despise the idea that because I'm female I have to like pink, flowers and jewelry.
    - I also hate the fact when playing sports, a woman is supposed to be terrible and fragile
    - I seem to prefer male roles in plays, and prefer to play those.

That's among a few other things. I just can't tell if I'm a masculine lesbian, or a transgender man. And it worries me. I have no problems with trans people, but I know my family will never accept me. And I would honestly hate being trans, it scares me.

I know at this young age I have a lot of questioning to do, but I really don't want to be trans. When I return back from vacations I'll try with some more masculine clothes, make shift binders and what not. Maybe that'll help with how I see myself?

What do you think?

2. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I can tell, without any knowledge of dysphoria/body image etc, you just sound like an awesome woman who hates the gender roles that are usually imposed on women.

You could have a masculine edge, but from your information, you don't sound trans.

Peace!

3. AlexTheGrey

I'm inclined to agree with WeDreamOfPeace, but for the sake of argument, I'd ask about these parts:

I would ask myself about these. Why? What is it about those characters that you are interested in? This is probably where you might find a good thread to pull on to find the answer for yourself.

But yes, rigid gender roles can take a flying leap off a cliff. The end goal should be to find what makes you the most comfortable. And that can be flipping the bird to the whole idea of what a "model female" should be and doing your own thing.

4. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what you've written here, I would agree with WeDreamOfPeace. Of course none of us can say for certain what your gender is, but from the information you've given, it sounds to me more like you have issue with gender roles rather than gender identity, and lots of cis people don't fit perfectly into assigned gender roles, doesn't make them automatically trans.

5. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Maya, it sounds like you're a woman and awesome too :grin: