1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Milo Yaniannopoulos's book is the #2 best seller on Amazon??

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ConnectedToWall, Jul 23, 2017.

1. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What do you guys think about this?
    Also, Milo seems to hate on lesbians a lot.

2. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really care. I mean, he can write a book if he wants. I certainly won't be reading it. I'm surprised that it's so popular because I didn't think he had that many fans.

He doesn't believe in lesbians because he says that women are sexually fluid while men are not. I thought that was disproven but I don't know. He doesn't like trans people either.

3. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Women are generally more fluid (as in there are more people who are fluid who are women than men) but there are still lesbians and bisexuals and straights. It's quite arrogant of him to try to say gay men are superior to everyone else in the LGBTQ+ community.

4. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently he has sold very little books, a couple sources I read have reported only about 20 000 or so.

Which is great.

Milo is just an awful person, and the best case for "internalized oppression" if I've heard of one. He believes that gay people should get back in the closet and that gay rights are somehow regressive on society. He also believes that he chose to be gay, that straight white men are being ostracized nowadays, and he declared that he wants to be straight.

At one of his tours at a university in Wisconsin, Milo outed a transwoman student to the entire congregation, publicly shamed her, used derogatory language and slurs against her, and could have quite possibly endangered her life. He's a bully, plain and simple.

He also instigated a blatantly racist and sexist crusade against Leslie Jones on Twitter for starring in the Ghostbusters remake last year.

Furthermore, Milo wrote a piece believing that women should go back to being "the housewife". Raise the children, do the laundry, cook and clean, and the rest of that bile.

And that's just four of the intensely vile things this man believes and does. I am ashamed to be at all in part associated with him, both of us being LGBT. He is what is wrong with the right, that people like us can be swayed into having such regressive and disheartening views.

I would like to be angry, and be able spread such vitriol and rage about him, but it just depresses me that someone can have so much hate in their heart. If only someone could change his mind, but people like him don't seem like they can be convinced, which only saddens me further.

If it is true that his book is selling a lot more now, it's troubling. Because hate is not something we should be spreading. All his book will do is provoke further this fervor of reactionary thought that seems to be becoming more and more prevalent in society, which will in turn lead to more Milos and more Trumps and more Paul Joseph Watsons and that sort of fearmongering and animosity will bear nothing beneficial.

I hope whoever reads it is strong or smart enough to realize what he is saying is wrong, or else the livelihoods of marginalized people could be in jeopardy.

#4 Jakob, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  5. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I enjoy listening to Milo. I don't agree with everything he says but I think he is occasionally right and he is good at calling out the radical left. He does say things just to piss people off somethings which I think actually helps the dialog, it allows people to discuss things they wouldn't otherwise discuss. It's nice to hear different opinions because even though I often disagree with a lot of them, Milo occasionally says something that I haven't heard before that results in me gaining new wisdom.

The main thing Milo has exposed is the radical left's inability to deal with differing opinions and how violent they can be.

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is definitely a culture on the right, I like to call it the "u mad bro" culture, that seems to see "riling people up" as the highest achievement of discourse. That the more people you can piss off, the more valid your message is, the more you have accomplished. Don't get me wrong, the radical left's inability to handle differing opinions is self-defeating and exposes them for the hypocrites that they often are. But Milo and company don't appeal to me much. They are just radicalism on the other side, equally radical, equally invalid. They do just as much disservice to discourse as the radical left does. Both serve to shut down discussions, whether it be with cries of "racism!" or rampant trolling.

On one hand, it's delightful that a "darling of the right" can be an openly gay slut like Milo, and I was disappointed to see the pedophilia accusations that supposedly disgraced him. Whether or not I agreed with him or thought he was doing anything to foster good political discussion, his presence was at least a "shake up" badly needed.

7. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The first three chapters of Milo's book seem to reveal that his philosophy is basically to rebel against authority at all costs. It seems a bit hypocritical to me because he accused the "radical left" of not being capable of "critical thought" and yet he basically only does things because someone tells him NOT to, which doesn't seem like "critical thinking" to me. That's just destruction for the sake of destruction, which seems pretty pointless. If he actually wrote his book I would say he's definitely charismatic and persuasive. I don't agree with most of what he says and I don't see him using much factual evidence to back up his claims. And he likes to talk about himself more than he likes to talk about his ideas.

8. Peryite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I find most of his commentary amusing and truthful at the same time, I do plan on ordering the book.

#8 Peryite, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That was the impression that I got from him as well. As long as people are aware of that, I see nothing wrong with extolling him, but recognize that for the most part he stands for subversion for subversion's sake. I saw recently in an article the statement "conservative is the new punk rock" and in a way, that's true. This is just rebellion with a different cause.

10. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also don't mind listening to Milo. Albeit, I also don't agree with a lot of what he says, but he has made some interesting points.

I think the issue with him not selling many books is the fact that no one wants to stock them. He's been posting a lot of videos of Barnes and Noble employees being questioned about it and they all had different answers and some of them even said he couldn't get a publisher, even though he published it himself. Now, it could be the same with Amazon. People selling them online are just having more of a hard time restocking because no one wants to stock them in the first place.

11. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think he is the perfect example of the racism and misogyny in some areas of the gay community.