1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victor Victoria

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Jun 28, 2017.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is completely off topic!!

In 1983, when the movie Victor Victoria came out, I was 13 years old.

I remember a scene in the movie where Victoria, played by Julie Andrews, was eating in a restaurant in the 1930's and knew she could not afford her meal. And if I recall she put a bug in her dish to try and get a free meal.

For those who have seen the movie, its about an actress whom is down on her luck in the depression era get saved by a gay Cabaret performer and he gets her to dress up and perform as a man performing as a woman. Well, I remember how funny I thought this movie was.

But here is the strange thing. As I am sitting in a restaurant eating at the moment in my own, I needed to go use the facilities. And as I was walking to the bathroom I told the server I will be back in a few minutes. He looked at me as if I was from mars for telling him.

In retrospect, I said something to him because I was concerned he would have thought I was going to leave without paying for my meal. And as I think about it, whenever I would get up at a restaurant, I always have this weird feeling that someone might think I am leaving without paying. So I always want to make sure the server knows I will be back.

Well, it just now it clicked. That movie is engrained in my head, and that scene in particular.

It's not only because it was a gay themed movie. I loved it because of that and it resonated with me. But at the same time, that scene always stuck with me because I grew up in a house where my parents were always arguing about money, and that scene embodies the anxiety I perceive money and expenses to cause.

I think it's time for me to let go of that anxiety!

And on another note, what were my parents thinking taking a 13 year old to go see a gay themed movie like Victor Victoria????

They must have always known I was gay!!!!
    :joy::laughing:

2. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OTH, that is wonderful, and I get it, Ive experienced the same thing at times (though Ive not seen the film...Lol). So many imprints from childhood, locked away, something prompts an ah ha moment...and seeing it is time and we can let go is life enriching.. anything abd everything is possible ...