1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will homophobia ever go away from society?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by OscarX, Jul 24, 2017.

?

Do you consider your society homophobic?

1. Yes, I do consider the majority of my society homophobic

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Undecided

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. No, I don't consider the majority of my society homophobic

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. OscarX

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    All I think about when I see/meet a new person is if they're homophobic, it's like an obsession of mine, I stigmatize people constantly suspecting of being homophobic, it almost controls my life. I'm constantly searching for a cure, it occupies my mind a lot. Sometimes I feel hopeless and sometimes I see a light until reality strikes back. I can't help but wonder, no explanation, excuse or reason satisfies me.

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, homophobia will always be a part of society. The good news is that people are becoming more accepting of LGBT individuals. Homophobes will always exist, but there are people that will support us for who we are. And keep in mind, many of these homophobes are actually LGBT individuals that are in the closet.

If someone is homophobic, I'm not there to argue with them. They're wasting their time trying to get their point across when nothing about me is going to change. It'll definitely make me feel uneasy, sure, but it's a temporary feeling that I can learn to accept; not everyone is going to support me for being who I am, but at the same time I don't need everyone for that.

OscarX likes this.
  3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There will always be some homophobia, just like there will always be racism and sexism. Things will probably get better, though.

Spot and Totesgaybrah like this.
  4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably not, but it will improve. We still have racist and sexist views today, but we have progressed a LOT compared to how they used to be.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there will always be homophobia just like racism and sexism.

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The majority of society where I am, are all homophobes. Or rather, preconceived (by me) to be homophobic. I know I shouldn't think this way, but going by my direct family and their closed-minded beliefs, I'd say at least 80% of people in my life, are homophobes to a certain degree. Some more, some less, but homophobic nonetheless.

PDA of same-sex people are frowned upon in most places. Even something as simple as holding hands or just a quick kiss to say hi or bye, is frowned upon. I remember when I met my ex-girlfriend. We got quite a few looks of disgust from passersby when we hugged and gave a quick peck goodbye every time we went out together and each went their separate ways. I think if it hadn't been for my parents' obvious disgust, her and I would still be together. I don't think homophobia will ever be completely erased, because some people are so blinded by hate that they don't see that it's just love, albeit a little different than what they're used to in their little worlds.

OscarX likes this.
  7. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Homophobia might exist for a long time. We are just getting better with racism and sexism (in many parts of the world), yet people have been fighting for this for a lot longer than they have for homophobia. Remember that the fight for LGBT rights is very recent in the history of our society. Not so long ago you could still go to jail for being gay in Canada and in the US (it still is the case elsewhere but let's talk about the developed countries in general). So I guess we have to be patient.

But I do think it's possible that it will completely disappear one day, but not in my lifetime. Remember that once slavery was considered normal, now it's not. People with mental disorders were the village's fool, now they are better understood. It can take decades and decades, but I think it can happen :slight_smile:

IrishEyes, Myclosetisfull and OscarX like this.
  8. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as people have good intentions and try hard to understand it I don't consider them homophobic or biphobic. Most homophobia or biphobia exists out of ignorance. There are also people though who really can't deal with it and treat people differently because of their sexual orientation. So no I don't consider the majority of my society as homophobic. Most people are just ignorant. Those who are just mean are not on my friends list.

9. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Humans will always find reasons to hate other humans that's what do and have been doing best all throughout history.
    It's never going away, just fading in and out of a culture's mainstream.

Heaux and OscarX like this.
  10. Jedi

I don't think it will. Its human nature to create an us and them situation and this is one of those topics where its easier to do that. I just found out 2 days ago that my best friend is openly homophobic.

11. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's probably not healthy stigmatising people that you suspect of being homophobic, sounds like a witch hunt. Homophobes have lost control over society (in the western world) and it is now socially unacceptable to be homophobic.

Jax12 likes this.
  12. Heaux

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    there'll always be an asshole trying to dictate over someone's life, it makes them superior. people love superiority, that's also part of human nature.

OscarX likes this.
  13. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Homophobia will take the same road as racism. A slow but sure decrease with every generation.

14. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @gibson234

It's socially unacceptable yes. But some people are very creative. Like "warning" me in my new working place that my colleague was gay before he was able to come out to me. She did it very quickly, I think the first opportunity she had. Just to check out what I thought of it (1) and to make sure that I would react appropiately (2). That's the thing when you're female and have a boyfriend. Everyone just assumes you're straight until you say otherwise...

#14 Lexa, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017