1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't enjoy Pride. Do you?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Sonata, Jul 22, 2017.

1. CyclingFan

I'd like to read that article if you can find it. Sounds interesting.

There's no requirement that people like going to Pride to be LGBTQ+ (BTW, I don't think anyone is making that argument), but I do hear complaints frequently about the nudity or the partying or the political stridency quite a lot. Especially around the larger cities in Democratic-lean states, SF, LA, NYC, Chicago. I have been to SF two years and I can very much see how it's not for everyone. But there is a history behind how it has evolved into these sorts of events, and much of it is important to remember as part of our culture, as remembrances of battles won and lost. I was at SF Pride in 15, right after the ruling on Obergefell v. Hodges. It was such an amazing atmosphere, so many people, so happy!

I do think there needs to be space for everyone to have a positive experience of Pride, in whatever form makes sense to you. To me it will always be a day to think about how far we've come, and how much further we need to go. To celebrate victories and mourn losses. And sometimes give a big ol' middle finger (or bare ass) to the rest of society for acting like such assholes.

*Edit I wanted to put more bare ass in it.

#21 CyclingFan, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    dreamingfreely likes this.
  2. CyclingFan

Those people are both completely ridiculous and absolutely toxic to society. I try to imagine what it would be like to have to care so much about what some other people are doing in the leisure time, and nope, too exhausted by my own b.s. I am so tired of their dumbass arguments.

DirectionNorth likes this.
  3. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Actually, I would say it's exactly the opposite. There are a lot of things that are "women only" that if men did them "men only" everyone would scream sexism. Can you imagine if they had a male-only showing of Spider-Man? Everything "Male-only" in this country has pretty much been basically removed.

4. Out late

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to my first pride this year, with friends who are allies, and seeing rhe community and feeling the love, was the last push I needed to finally come out. At least here there was no nudity and all I could feel was the positivity and acceptance. But I guess it depends alot on where you are.

baristajedi likes this.
  5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've only been to a small regional Pride event. They had IIRC some live entertainment, and a number of groups present that were either tied to LGBT causes, or at least friendly to/of interest to LGBT people (e.g., politicians). I went a couple of years running, although frankly I was less enthusiastic the second year.

One thing I found really tiresome: there was so much fund raising. The people running the event had numerous hints suggesting donations. Other groups were there trying to raise money, too.

I've never been to Seattle's Pride. An LGBT woman I know--one of the few people whom I'm out to--suggested that I go. Apparently she and her wife go pretty much every year. But it's too hard getting there at the moment. I might consider if it were viable. Then, again, large events like that aren't exactly introvert friendly...

I also have to admit I'd be curious to go to Pride where my grandparents lived. It's a small event, but it's amazing the event even exists. I'd like to visit that area again, just to see how it's changed, and if I do so, I might consider trying to get back there when they have Pride.

6. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if you want to enjoy Pride you need to be with the right people. Going alone just seems like a bad idea. This year I went alone to my local pride and wasn't too impressed at first, it was all the same stuff I see every year. But I met a friend who showed up a bit later, and she had never been to a Pride event before, and she showed up with her friend (both straight girls) and they got their faces painted and went and stood right in front of the stage while the acts were performing, and they were dancing, and they even got me to start dancing with them, and I hate dancing. But being there with people who were experiencing the event with fresh eyes just really made a difference for me. It helped me appreciate and enjoy the event so much more. And Pride is kind of about drawing in and welcoming straight people and showing them a good time alongside LGBT people.

7. Sonata

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for your answers. They have acyually changed my view. I will go again to look at it from a new perspective. I will take part more in other event than the parade, and wil, try to be as open as l can.
    Maybe l had expected too much from it before, but now l think seeing and feeling the love in the environment should be nice enough. About the nudity part, l think l should accept such an event cannot be out of sexual suggestiveness. After all, it is an event about sexuality.