1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a letter? Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Unknown737, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Unknown737

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am planning on writing a letter to give to my parents. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to write it or what to say?

Please write down any ideas or options that you have used:slight_smile: Need advice!

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exciting, do you think they will be supportive?

It's coming up to a year since I wrote mine. Without a doubt one of the scariest things I have ever had to do, but I am so much happier now. I think I started it by saying "X number of people in our world are gay and I am one of them, or at least bisexual" and then some stuff about how much energy I'd spent hating myself and that I couldn't take it any longer and that it was never going to go away, and hoped they'd still support me. Wish I'd kept a copy somewhere.. but I'm sure my mum has kept it.

Good luck! I remember writing it at 3am one night when I was up crying because of it, it was very therapeutic.

4. Unknown737

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think they will be supportive and even kind of have a hunch that I am gay because my mom has asked me if I liked girls before ahah. They always make it very clear that the LGBTQ+ community is very welcome in our world and how sad it is that not everyone feels the same.

Did you just hand it to them? Or like set it somewhere they would find it and then wait till they read it?

5. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so good! Sounds well set up for an accepting reaction. I was super nervous, I handed it to my mum just as I was going out somewhere like "bye, please read this" and ran out. It was the only way I could do it. And the walk back home felt like I was walking to my grave.

6. EvanB1912

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Whatever you write, you *need* to mail it to yourself, so it comes through the letter-box and everything looks all official.

7. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my dad via text message, and it went well. It gave me the distance i needed to feel comfortable and safe doing it, as irrational as that feeling was b/c i knew he was 99% sure to accept me. He did. After that, we eventually talked face to face and he left it at that.